Why the jack?

Punctured wheel goes in passenger seat. Passenger walks home. Sorted!

2 Likes

If you haven’t had to use it before, it might be worth actually getting the jack out and making sure it is in good nick. I found that the retaining bolt on mine was pretty frozen up, and the jack itself wasn’t great either. Both got a good going-over with a wire brush and then some lithium grease, so should I ever need it, it’s ready to go.

Good point regarding the oil, my MX5 is now on 80k miles and still requires no top up between oil changes.

I think that all the talk about how important it is not to let the oil go below max level has made me a bit paranoid, so I carry a small bottle.

Yes good point, my jack was stiff but greasy, and working it back and forth by hand loosened it up.

It went back in the car, still not been used in over 7 years!

I’d be surprised if the inflator couldn’t manage a flat tyre on the car but could off it. Load barely affects pressure except to the extent that tyre volume is fractionally reduced - maybe by 1%. With the rim actually resting on the ground because the tyre is flat, the reduction in volume is a little more significant, but probably only 10% or so.

If the bead seal has been broken, the inflator won’t do it - you need a rush of compressed air to re-seat it.

My 2014 ‘Powershift’ came with jack - bought new.

My 16” saver fits snuggly in the boot on my 2007 mk3. BTW does a saver only fit on the front ?

The front, yes👍

It physically fits the back (more easily, the brakes are smaller) but isn’t a good idea if you have an LSD. I don’t think the traction control on a 1.8 would be happy about it, either.

Boot Rack

If you have LSD always put the space saver on the front and keep the two good wheels on the rear.
(Should have been for Bubble_1).

Boot rack not an option with a PRHT. Passenger walking is only an option if your passenger can walk - mine uses a wheelchair and the only type we can fit in the boot is a lightweight folding push-only job. A hand-propellable one won’t fit (and heaven knows we tried!)

Actually boot rack IS an option for the PRHT…. just not loaded. ie if the rack is unloaded, the roof can open & close.

I have a Revo-Rack…… attaches (as required)by suction cups……

2 Likes

Porsche invented a solution for this in the 70’s or 80’s. A large plastic bag to put the punctured wheel in before putting it in the passenger’s lap.

1 Like

A 17" MX-5 wheel and tyre pretty much fills the passenger seat - there simply isn’t enough room to carry both!

2 Likes

Tough choice but the wheel takes it for me!!!
:heart:

3 Likes