Why the jack?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC 3
  2. I’m based near: Bristol
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Tools in the car.

Hi all. What’s the point of it being there?

The car does not have a spare tyre, yet it came with a jack.

I was thinking about removing it from that little compartment in the right hand side of the boot and using the space to put a can of tyre weld and a bottle of oil in there. Plus with the jack removed it’ll surely go 30-40mph faster due to weight savings .

Why the jack?

2 Likes

50/50 weight distribution??? :joy:

NCs came with a tyre repair kit as standard. Should be in a little leather bag strapped to the front of the boot.

1 Like

Most didn’t come with a jack, so it’s unusual -could a previous owner have added it? I had to buy one when I got a spare wheel. There is always a jack compartment but it’s usually empty.

Earlier NC came with a jack (can’t answer the why though), it was deleted later on in production (July 2012). Have you looked to see if it’s referenced in the Owner’s Manual?

1 Like

You have the bracket, so you have the choice. I carry one in the ND.

It gives me another option if I wreck a tyre, and there might be other reasons to lift the car than a wheel change. I can in extremis remove the wheel and take it somewhere to fix, with help. I have no spare wheel, so the more options the better. I also carry tyre string which I have more faith in than gloop.

The only thing better than a spare wheel is two spare wheels. unfortunately the ND can’t even carry one!

I do have recovery etc. but Sod’s law says if it does happen it will be up an Alp on a Sunday afternoon with no phone signal.

4 Likes

Jack standard in 2010 car despite lack of spare.

My 2011 Miyako has a jack.
You dont only use a jack for spare wheels…

Not sure if it’s official reason but I was told for my Leon :
The jack is so you can rotate the wheel and spread the puncture sealant around the inside of the tyre before trying to pump it up.

6 Likes

An individual thing.
Mine didn’t come with one, but bought one.
I use “Goop” in all the tyres.
Carry a tyre plugger kit.
A tin of Holts tyre weld.
“If” I get a puncture you can jack it up and inspect it properly.
As others say you can rotate the wheel to distribute the sealant, or take it off.
Basically because on extended European (and UK!) tours it can get you out of a long wait situation.
A bit OTT? probably. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Mine came with little case containing an aerosol of stuff and a 12V compressor.
The compressor is quite happy to inflate a tyre to 2bar but just not with the weight of the car on it.
I bought a jack and retainer. The gloop is probably out of date. :grinning:

My 2007 NC came with a jack. My 2021 ND doesn’t have one.
But - how can you use a spare even if you buy one in the MX5? The boot is not big enough to take a spare (or the removed punctured tyre either).

You can get one of those ‘compact’ temp spares in the boot of an NC (but not much else!). Don’t know about the ND but lack of space everywhere in that car is the reason I declined the one I had ordered before launch.

Two things;

You missed out on the ND. I had an NC for 14 years (ND2 now) and the ND is BIGGER inside (I’m big so i know!) and more comfortable, though the boot is slightly (ever so slightly) smaller. But it is a FAR better car.

The other thing - small temp spares are not to be used if you have a limited slip diff (both my NC roadster and my ND2 did/do) as the different diameters of the rear wheels mean different rotation speeds which wears out the LSD in no time.

If you are inclined to carry a space saver wheel and have a LSD and you get a puncture on the rear.
Swap a good front wheel/tyre to the rear and put the space saver on the front.
“Obviously”, you would need a jack to do that. :wink:

2 Likes

A Hyundai Coupe spare wheel of the right generation fits the NC and clears the front brakes. As for the punctured wheel, it should fit in the boot with a bit of a shove because punctured tyres are, er, flat.

2 Likes

Very Good thinking , Jack is better than nothing, my ND only got tyre repair kit not even a wheel spanner

Issue being that if you were to use a “space saver” spare, you’d still need a way to carry the full-sized wheel & tyre that you’ve just removed in order to continue your journey…

I answered that above. Flat tyres are, well, flat.

Thanks everyone for replying. My MX5 carries the following:

A little case containing sticky string and an insertion tool.
Can of Holts tyre weld.
500ml coke bottle of engine oil.

Also the OEM stuff:

Towing eye.
Jack.
Wheel bolt wrench.
Locking wheel nut key.
Inflator pack with out of date goop.
PRHT emergency rope and skewer thing.

The only 2 MX5 punctures I’ve had I discovered when setting off and the car felt funny. Even 10 metres was enough to knacker the inside of the tyre and render it unrepairable.

Question: Do we know for sure that the OEM inflator hasn’t got the beans to lift the wheel rim off the ground?

Here is my plan, if the inflator has the required beans:

Do away with the jack and wheel wrench.

If puncture occurs in motion, the tyre is likely to be unrepairable due to sidewall damage anyway, so just stick a can of tyre weld in (or use sticky string if there’s a nail/screw to pull out) and drive to a tyre place to get a new tyre (and new can of tyre weld). Pushing the car a few feet will distribute the goo.

If a puncture becomes apparent when parked, try to get a mobile tyre fitter to repair/replace or bodge it using the above method and drive to a tyre place. Saving the tyre would be nice, but if away in a trip getting going again is more important.

Our next trip isn’t until May, so plenty of time to look into this further.

Thanks again everyone for responding.

Why ditch the jack and wrench, it could be useful one day. You should be able get some type of repair kit in the little cubby too, I’ve never used anything like that though but handy. The oil never carry that either, no point unless the car burns it at an alarming rate, I wouldn’t be using it much :thinking: