Wiper, Washer and Heater Fan Not Working

Please help?

I started our 1996 Mk1 Gleneagles up on Saturday in the pouring rain. Put the windscreen wipers on. They Moved about 2 inches and then stopped. I then noticed that the heater blower was not working and later discovered that the window washer was not working.

I checked the relevant fuses. all good.

With the ignition in the correct position and wiper stalk to one of the settings I carried out Voltage checks on the wiper motor power supply. only 8V??? repeated on all settings, same result.

Only residual voltage on the washer motor when operated.

All systems have different grounds.

After internet research and studying the Haynes manual I discovered that the only thing these systems have in common is the ignition switch. I removed the ignition switch and carried out continuity tests IAW the MX5 workshop manual by Rod Grainger and Pete Shoemark. Ignition switch passed the continuity test in all positions.

does anyone have any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

How old is the battery and when was she last run… Perhaps new battery required?

Bad earth.
M-m

Thanks for replying.

Battery is in good condition and the car is run regularly.

I was thinking it might be a bad earth. Its worth investigating.

Thanks, although I’m seriously considering replacing the ignition switch even though it appeared to checked out okay.

Have you tried “wiggling” the ignition switch while it’s in the on position, to agitate the contacts. A continuity test won’t show up any volt drop caused by a burned contact. I’ve stripped and cleaned ignition switches in the past.

1 Like

I’ve removed the ignition switch. I’ll have a go at stripping it, to see if there is any signs of burning.

Thanks for you help

Try squirting some WD40 into the mech and rotate numerous times - this fix has got me out of stripping different mechs in the past.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll give it a go.

The problem was a retro fitted alarm connection block that had burnt and melted across the ancillary wiring. After noticing the burning, I set about removing the alarm (Its never worked since I’ve had the car) once the alarm had been carefully separated from all the car wiring. I had to connect the ancillary wiring together. Wipers, Washer and heater fan all work. Happy Days!

Thanks for everyone’s help.

1 Like