Wiring Connections

Hi all; Sorry for the probably daft questions but I just cant fully get my head around this wiring and diagrams. Just re-doing previous fog light wiring as it was only to a rocker switch.

-Once i replace the brown wires and cable locks, can I stick spade connectors on the ends and attach straight to OE fog light switch in correct places of course? And then still retain the ability to add the dimmer switch to blue connector at a later date?
-Do i need to add fuses or will rear fog use the same as the dimmer?
-Am I right in thinking the black connector is for front fog lights only?
-Can anyone tell me what the white connector on the right is for? Power mirrors, cruise control, something else entirely?

91 Eunos
Thank you!

Do you have any wiring diagrams that you can share?
Maybe I’m missing something here, but are you putting a dimmer switch in to the fog light circuit, if so why???
Where do the brown wire go and I assume that they are not standard wiring?

1 Like

You need to leave the blue plug connected or you’ll loose your dash lights, the switch blank has a short connector in it. I’d fuse the for lamp independently. One of the other connectors will be for front dogs, the other for heated rear window, can’t remember which is which. That fog lamp is wired in a strange manner coming off the dimmer switch. I’d rewire it from scratch off one of the other plugs if it were me.

1 Like

I would get rid of those blue wiring connectors (Scotchloks) if you possibly can.

They are the devil’s work - they cut partly through the wire (reducing the current carrying capacity) and work loose in the vibrating environment of a car. There’s a very good reason why you’ll never see them used by manufacturers.

It might take a bit more effort to solder and heat shrink the connections, but it will be well worth it in terms of reliability.

1 Like

Thanks to all for the replies apologies for the delay in mine!

So this is a link to the diagram i was going off: https://www.miataforumz.com/1990-200-Miata-Wiring/91diag.pdf

So by the dimmer Micron I meant the interior/instrument cluster lights dimmer, I haven’t planned to, but I wanted to check that if in future I wanted to stick in the dimmer switch I’d be able to. The brown wires were one of the previous owners that went to the rear fog rocker.

Right gotcha Ill leave the blue alone. So remove the blue Scotchloks and tape around so nothing shorts? Then find another power and ground for the new switch - could I pull the pins from the front fogs and put them straight into the new switch or where would we suggest? And where would I stick the fuse just somewhere along the wire to the fog itself sorry.

Also heated window switch is excellent news as that was going to be the next job, was unsure the 91’s had the wiring!

Thank you!

Hi Jack, I have had a look through the wiring diagrams and have worked out the following, hopefully it will help.
Just to clarify, the fogs only work while the head lights are on dipped beam and they should only be controlled via the rocker switch.
There is no need or requirement to fit a dimmer switch, I would say that it’s possibly illegal???
As for the wiring, I believe that you need to do some checks at the rocker switch and the actual fog lights.
At the switch, the red/black wire is the live feed (only live when the lights are on), when switched on, the live feed now goes to the lights via the green/yellow wire, once at the fog lights the other wire from the fog lights goes to earth.
You need to check the 12v supply going into the fog switch, out on the green/yellow wire and to the fog lights.
I have no idea about the brown wires and I agree, loose the blue connectors
Happy to discuss further if you want?
Trev

Hi Trev,
Thanks for the reply and apologies for the very late reply!
Life got in the way a little and haven’t had a look at the wiring since so will certainly take you up on the offer. Am i able to give you a message on here when I’m going to take it on?
Thank you

Hi Jack,
Yes you can message me via here, give me some notice so I can familiarise myself with the wiring diagram again

Thanks
Trev

1 Like