Worn Bushes MOT Advisory

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK3 2007
  2. I’m based near: West Midlands
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: worn bush replacement

My MX5 had advisories at the last MOT (before I owned the car:-

Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Nearside front lower (rear bush)

Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Offside front lower (rear bush)

I don’t have the knowledge \ skills to do this myself. Any ideas what cost I would be looking at for a garage to do this work ?

I wouldn’t pay it much mind from an MOT advisory. Get them checked properly when you have the car serviced next and ask for the opinion of their condition then.

Cost for replacement can vary. If nothing’s seized then maybe expect to pay about an hour a side, if the bolts are seized then expect to pay about 4 hours a side…

1 Like

Cheers.
I’ve only owned it a few days, and have always drove cheap small engine cars before. so this is a whole new world for me. !

I am noticing the car moves about a bit when I hit an imperfection the road. Thought It was me not used to such a powerful car - but then looking through the documentation - it made me wonder.

Get the bushes checked properly, I’d guess that they’re probably fine visually. Whether they’re changed or not, have the wheel alignment checked and if required, adjusted.

1 Like

Yes it’s quite common for these to be worn out.
It’s unlikely to come off without a fight so expect big bills. If it does come off easy then get some lottery tickets!

Ok !!!

What are talking about as a big bill ?

You can read about it here: http://www.duratecnc.co.uk/?p=439

1 Like

Mine required the subframe to be dropped to get one of those bolts cut out. The alignment shop couldn’t move them so I just replaced all the bolts. If you can, big doses of release fluid before handing it to the garage might help.

1 Like