Worn out Tonneau cover fixing - close call!

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NA 1997 UK Spec
  2. I’m based near: __Not so Sunny Somerset
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Tonneau cover fixing

On the final run out last year, at motorway speed the pull ‘button’ that clips by the seat belt tower on our Tonneau failed suddenly, almost resulting in the entire cover flying off. :grimacing: Fortunately, the second button held and we were able to pull over and remove the cover and continue the journey.

One of the three (brass?) spring clips inside the pull button failed as photo

This one is fine still…

Does any one know if these can be replaced or is it a new Tonneau altogether?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Ben

Looks like it’s just a press fastener so I’d imagine you can get replacements that would work, even if they don’t look identical in terms of the catch (e.g. a twin bar rather than the three metal arcs).

As a guess I’d imagine the “33” is either a part reference number or more likely a size number akin to how zips/zippers are numbered. If you could check the inverse side of the metal you may find a manufacturer stamp that would help you locate a replacement,

Failing that, measuring the size of the existing one might help you find a suitable replacement on ebay (not saying these are the correct ones, but they are fairly large - though I don’t know the size of the fasteners on your tonneau:

Judging by your photos the originals look like they may be glued on, possibly in addition to being bashed on with a hammer (I forget the proper term for doing fasteners :smile: ).

Search for Tenax Fasteners.

Thank you for looking into this @Skadgeer very grateful for your comments. Turns out the buttons are spring type and others on the tonneau are pressed. Thanks again.

Spot on @Roadster_Robbie have purchased 4 of these so as to prevent likelyhood of re occurring Tenax fastener button and nut c/w key
Thanks

Early covers had additional securing straps. Not sure why these were deleted on later NAs besides the need to squeeze 50p more profit out of each unit sold.

@ast Ah i see, thanks. Is that what this is by any chance? If so do you know where / what to secure it too?

Yup.

boottiemanual

@ast Brilliant info much oblidged!

@Roadster_Robbie @ast have now realised the british made / type of the tenax differs in depth of clip than our mx5 requires. Having researched further the type of tenax for the mk1 type is made by ghe (german) and is used on porsche tonneaus also. Quite hard to get hold of. I should have changed the male end on the pillar to british one!
Options:
I think loxx and new marine brands might be compatable with ghe & the 5. Awaiting delivery!