Would the Seat fittings from a late 97 NA fit early model NA seats?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __1997 MK1 NA 1.6 90BHP
  2. I’m based near: __Glasgow
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ Seat fittings from late mark 1 fitting an early model NA?

I’m thinking of buying a set of refurb’d tombstone seats for my late model 1997 NA. My car has adjustable headrests and I’m wondering if the seat fitments can be transferred across without issue.

anyone know?

Thanks

If the refurbished seats are from a 1.8, yes, the runners from your seat can be transferred. If the seats are from a 1.6 model, the runners will fit, but the seat will lack the screw fitment for the correct seatbelt fitting.

The seat belly pans are differerent.

Late car/1.8 belly plan compared to earlier car

And comparing seats with their covers on

You can swap the pans

Or, get hold of early seatbelt stalk

And find the early position locating hole under your carpet. In most later cars, the threaded hold is still there, with a plastic plug. In some later cars, there is no captive nut, and you would need to use a rally harness backing plate (the thread will be a UNF thread correct for the Mazda bolt that comes with the stalk)

I use early latches in my 1996 car which has been fitted with factory option seats from an early car.

Thanks for the detailed reply. You’ve just saved me from an expensive purchase by the looks of things.

I really don’t want to buy additional parts I just wanted the seats to fit without too much faff.

Just to clarify.

Seats fron a post 94 1.6 will fit no problem it 89-93 seats that have the seperate seat belt mounting

Refurb’d Seats have been confirmed as a 1992.

Black Leather Seats Mazda MX5 high back new MX-5 mk1 Eunos Roadster pair | eBay

So that means additional parts then. I think it’ll be too much hassle. I just wanted to swap the fittings from my seats onto those and put them in.

Oh well.

Actually, those look like older model seat pans on the Refurb’d seats. Maybe they will fit.

They will fit, but you need a pair of 1990-93 seatbelt stalks.

The seller is Autolinkuk; he has other sets for sale, but I also recall, he might also do an exchange service.

Other seats he has:

1 Like

Thanks.

I’ve just noticed this late last night. I was going to ask if he’d do a seat exchange.

Another is PM Sportscars in Shardlow

Certainly, he used to sell a lot of reupholstered seats in the recent past.

Are they still going? Their website isn’t working and the last post on their facebook page was June 2021.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/pmsportscarsltd?_tab=about

Google reviews go to about 6 months ago.

1 Like