Would you replace the oil filter after 7 years (but only 35 miles)

So, the oil was last changed in my Mk1 in late 2016, this is something I plan on changing since it will have degraded over time.

The oil filter was likewise changed then, but the car has only done 35 miles since it was fitted.

Should I also change it as a matter of course, or will it be perfectly fine given the low mileage inspite of the years?

Personally, after 7 years I would change it. It will be full of 7-year old oil, and it may have degraded.

It’s a relatively small cost for the peace of mind.

I assume that you’ll be replacing all the other fluids (especially brake fluid)?

I figured that might be the case and I admit I was leaning more toward the peace of mind aspect but figured I’d ask.

That’s the plan :slight_smile:

I agree with the replies thus far.

Definately replace the filter if it has had 7 year old oil in it, irrespective of mileage.

Furthermore, I always fit a genuine MAZDA oil filter, as they have the right non-return valves in them to help keep oil up in the top end of the engine, to aid the camshafts on initial start-up.

1 Like

After that long out of use I’d want to pull the plugs, put a teaspoon of oil down each cylinder and give it a turn by hand before running it. Along with fuel and other fluids of course :+1:

And the tyres!

I’ve checked back through my documents and it’s my memory at fault as it was 2019, not 2016 it was last serviced. It didn’t help that I found an invoice for tyres which was from 2016, but turned out to be for the spare.

I never knew that, I know it currently has a cheap aftermarket one fitted but I was going to go genuine Mazda if I did buy a new one as I’d seen some complaints of leaks with some aftermarket ones. Still interesting to hear about the valve though.

I admit I never even thought of doing that the few times I’ve started it up - on the plus side it always sounded normal.

I know tyres can rot from inside out, but at least externally they appear fine, still hold air etc. and I can also confirm now that four new tyres were fitted in 2019 along with a battery (which I’ve taken out a few times to keep topped up and is still good).

The cost of an oil filter means that this is a rather pointless question. Just buy a Mazda one and start looking at more important items that may have deteriorated over time.
:heart:

Even the cost of an oil filter, if not required, would have meant more money spare for the other items that need replacing which is why I decided to ask as, even though I was fairly sure what the consensus would be, every penny saved etc. etc. :slight_smile:

An oil filter is £2.24!!!

…yes…

Not from mx5parts - £6.84 (Mazda filter, and that’s with the current 10% sale).

Though if your price was also a genuine one as well, where did you find it at that price?

Oil Filter, Aftermarket, MX5 Mk1/2/2.5 – MX5 Parts

£2.24—£6.84 is irrelevant, the cost is completely insignificant when looking at the cost of running the car and should not even be under question.

2 Likes

I bet you can open your wallet in your trouser pocket with a boxing glove on. :flushed::wink:
Penny pinching over an oil filter seems rather, well daft and false economy to me. :man_shrugging:

Just an opinion, do a full thorough main service and all will be fine. :+1:

3 Likes

yet more expense :roll_eyes: (would need to buy one :wink: ).

3 Likes

Would you like me to blow in your tyres to save you the 20p garages now charge to pump your tyres up.

2 Likes

35 miles in 7 years (five miles per annum) Have you been away somewhere doing a stretch?