Wrong mileage on Mazda Digital Service Record

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND ZSport
  2. I’m based near: Harrogate

Now here’s a thing.
I took our ND in for its 2nd annual service on 17th July, and got a copy of the Mazda Digital Service Record through the post yesterday. The odometer mileage on this document at the recent service showed 3835, whereas it’d actually done 12800 miles. I phoned the dealership to ask for it to be corrected, which they were reluctant to do at first. The service receptionist said it wouldn’t affect the warranty, but as I only insure it for 6000 miles per year, in the event of a serious accident the insurance company could claim I’d done well in excess of 10,000 since service.
Turns out the technician had read the “trip” reading on the car’s dashboard rather than scrolling through to the odometer reading.
She’s applied to Mazda to have it corrected.
In future I’ll have to remember to ensure the total mileage is displayed on the dashboard when it goes in for service.

1 Like

My odometer readings go up and down throughout their entire history because most, but not all, MOT technicians recorded kilometres as miles.

Good God, it gets worse!

Well… that’s not quite true, fortunately the DVLA doesn’t standardise between miles and kilometres. So as currently shown in MOT history the numbers go up continuously while the format randomly alternates between labelling it as miles or kilometres. If they ever display it as a graph I’ll be in handcuffs.

You’d think it would be a common thing to check for imports, but that was a variety of different places and testers.

Must be a Yorkshire thing. Here in the South Yorkshire Republic, the main dealer kept recording the service as “body inspection” first, followed by the service as other work. The DSR then kept showing the service as overdue.

Service manager initially didn’t want to know so I ended up emailing his Head Office. Thing is, this was on 2 separate Mazdas over a period of 8-10 months.

At least it was only the service record, according to the MOT history of my current Project it travelled 809,263 miles in 13 days back in September 2011 and then travelled -801,308 miles over the course of the next year…

And just because I thought it would be interesting, to actually accomplish that milage increase it would have had to travel at 2594mph (just over Mach 2) continually for the 13 days :joy:

1 Like

That’s 30+ times circumnavigating the equator!!