Wrong wheels under warranty

Hi

I have an ND Recaro edition (love the thing). In summer last year, while it was at the dealer, for some reason that I can’t remember, they noticed that my wheels were pealing . And that they will replace them under warranty  So they did. What I didn’t realise is the fact that there are different wheels…

1. The ones that came with the car are exclusive for sport recaro, the ones at the they gave me were offered as an accessories option (I had no clue)
2. The MX5 logo is upside down
3. The originals have a glossy finish, the other ones are matt

I’ve been back and forth with the dealer (Perrys Blackburn) I was promised it will be sorted, but there were always excuses… It’s taking long… we can’t tell what wheels they will send so we can only check them ones they get there etc etc… I’m pretty patient, but this is testing me. 

I reached out to Mazda UK rang and emailed to be told that the dealer will sort it…Well they haven’t, it’s now over a year, and they keep pretending like it never happened, neve even called me back about it. Every time I call them or visit I mention it, but I get nowhere   Until the most recent one (yeah I rang them) and they said probably can’t be done since Mazda don’t make them anymore 

So I’m after advice, where should I turn next? What are my options? 

They are giving you the run around, the Recaro wheel is part number ANA1P-V3-3810TG.  If they order that part number you will get a Recaro wheel, tell them to order 4 of those, any excuses call Mazda Customer Services and complain, but you really need to cause a stink to get anywhere in my experience. 

I know the difference in the wheels you are talking about and have seen both in the flesh, the Recaro wheel is FAR superior in look and finish. 

Mazda are terrible with special eddition cars and keep very little specific “special edition” spares which by and large are cosmetic items and as you have found out the spares you do get stick out like a sore thumb against the other “special edition” on display items on the car.

I suggest the small claims court, your contract is with the garage and not with Mazda.

At the moment you are being treated as a “customer” that if the garage do not do anything “you”, them after a while, “you” will go away. Take them to court for a full set of matching wheels.

Do not waste time talking to them any more but keep a record of all the dates of conservations.

Assuming the dealer in question is the supplying dealer.

We had a similar incident with Mazda wheel corrosion some years ago (on a 5, not an MX5), where the dealer blamed Mazda UK, who referred back to the dealer who blamed Mazda UK… in the end a letter to the dealer principal stating our legal rights got it sorted.

Good luck, OP! Love the Recaro edition by the way… to my mind the best looking ND, inside and out.

The laquer does lift and is a well known warranty issue, so worth checking around the back of all the others whilst the case is hot. I bought a couple of spares from Sandicliffe in Nottingham recently using the entire part number that GarethC has quoted and they came through in a matter of days. I suspect the ready availability was aided by the fact that it was a retail sale rather than a warranty issue. The wrong (accessory) wheel uses most of the same part number so, again, do use the entire number quoted.

A dealer in the north had a quantity for sale on Ebay a few weeks ago and I’m sure they didn’t all sell. If someone here can remember who it was then it would be worth contacting them to see if they have any left. As a Mazda main dealer I’m sure they would be glad to help out.

I suspect the faulty wheels are either returned to Mazda or retained by the dealer for future use on second hand Sport Recaro.

^ SG Petch Darlington, I bought two myself as previous owners have caused minor damage to a couple of mine so will replace when I change tyres.