Yellow Mk4 on M25 near Chertsey

On our way up to Silverstone for the F1 grand prix last Sunday we spotted a Mk4 in bright yellow with a light grey rear bumper. Did snap a pic but I can’t post images on here. Private plates (…PHU) Very nicely painted so assume this is a custom job. Not sure about the grey rear end though and didn’t look like it was primer. As someone who really isn’t a fan of the Mk4 I have to admit it did look really good in yellow. I could almost be tempted. 

If the owner is an OC member I’d be interested to know the story on this one.

If it’s the one I’ve seen in MKG3000 in Twickenham it’s a wrap and the colour is stunning; really suits the Mk4…

I wasn’t initially particularly struck with the looks of the mk4 either Pete. It was only when I saw a cover photo in HTST of a soul red crystal car that changed my mind. It’s truly a stunning colour. I particularly like it in low light when it appears a deep red wine colour. So I agree colour can make quite a difference. The driving experience of the mk4 is sublime and won’t disappoint. What I would say about colour choice is that the attraction of dramatic, high impact colours (such as the 30AE orange and the bright yellow you mention) might wear off in time, so settling for a less spectacular colour might be easier to live with in the long run…just a thought.

Well that was a very well done wrap.

I’m afraid it will take much more than colour to tempt me. I have driven the Mk4 - really didn’t do anything for me so I’ll stick to my Mk3. Maybe in a few years if my Mk3 dies and when secondhand Mk4s are cheap as chips I might reconsider but in all likelihood I’d probably just buy another Mk3.

The car you saw was indeed wrapped. It is a Sport Recaro #579 and the original colour is Ceramic Metallic.

Is it yours, BlueAgave? If so, can I ask how much you paid, and where, as I’d get an ND if it was cheap enough to wrap as I don’t particularly like the current colour palette.

Pictured at the OC rally at Goodwood last year. Not my picture, was posted by Mac5 on MX5Driver.com

Wow!  That really is a stunning colour, why on earth don’t Mazda do it for real!!!

No it’s not mine

Because the reality is that “bright” colours like this just don’t sell well. There is a reason for why the “Yellow Car” game exists. Just look at the general car colours across all makes, bold colours are in a very small minority. Ford sell around 100,000 Fiesta’s a year, they haven’t made a Yellow one since the MK6 because they don’t sell. The Green and Purple launch colours of the MK7 are very rarely seen. Even in this thread someone has cautioned against having such a colour. When your factories are running at capacity why make a car that will be a hard sell against one that won’t be? 

Careful what you wish for Roger. You can’t part with them so you don’t want a third one. If I Photoshop an MX57ROG plate onto it I could tip you over the edge.

I do wonder how the 30AE would have sold in that colour.