Yorkshire lanes to be re surfaced

I have had pot holes on the road outside my house for years, but if you live on the T d Y route you will get a surface as smooth as a babies bum !!

Peaks and Pennines will follow the route on a Sunday in the summer of 2017

TOUR DE YORKSHIRE HOST TOWNS FOR 2017 UNVEILED

The six host towns for the 2017 Tour de Yorkshire, which will visit "all four corners of the county", have been revealed.
Racing for the third edition will begin or end in Bradford, Bridlington, Fox Valley (Sheffield), Harrogate, Scarborough and Tadcaster.

Organisers Welcome to Yorkshire and the Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO) revealed the chosen towns which will see the three-day men’s race held from Friday 28 April to Sunday 30 April. The women’s race will be held on Saturday 29 April.

The second edition took place earlier this year and achieved significant growth on the back of the 2015 debut. The number of roadside spectators increased from 1.5 to two million and the race attracted 11.4 million global TV viewers, up from six million in 2015.

The event also boosted the local economy by £60m and 2017 promises to continue that trend following the news that Yorkshire will host the UCI Road World Championships in 2019.

Sir Gary Verity, chief executive of Welcome to Yorkshire, said: "In just two years the Tour de Yorkshire has become one of the biggest and best races on the professional cycling calendar. Riders are overwhelmed by the support they receive on the roadside and the racing is among the most exciting you will see all season.

"The third edition will continue that progression and the attention it receives will be greater than ever given that we have just succeeded in bringing the UCI Road World Championships to the county in 2019.

"The world’s best cyclists will be using the 2017 Tour de Yorkshire as a first dress rehearsal for that and we’re planning a course that will challenge and impress them in equal measure.

“I’m delighted the race will visit all four corners of the county and all six host towns will put on a brilliant show.”

Christian Prudhomme, director of the Tour de France at the ASO, added: “The Tour de Yorkshire has done itself proud in building a lasting and hugely-successful legacy on the back of the 2014 Grand Départ. The race is a true success story and we are thrilled to be working in partnership with such a great team at Welcome to Yorkshire. We’re looking forward to another fantastic edition in 2017.”

The full 2017 race route will be unveiled in December 2016 – this announcement will include exact start and finish locations and the distance and profile of the race.

I’m looking forward to another T de Y, fantastic event, I just wish the route would

take in North Lancashire, great for spectators, but importantly the bomb cratered

B6480 would be repaired & re-surfaced.  All the major craters have been painted

white for months, no sign yet of any remedial action so far.

Fox Valley (Sheffield) is that the new name for the valley at Stocksbridge where the steelworks blend into the new shopping centre?
That said the roads in the area previously resurfaced for the Tour de France are fantastic and the scenery is amazing.

Fox Valley sounds very rural, I have visions of reynard with the cubs in a woodland glade, the truth is that the Fox Valley name from a former industrialist -

Samuel Fox was born in Bradwell, Derbyshire, on 17 June 1815, the son of a shuttle-weaver.[1]

He started work as an apprentice wire drawer in the firm of Samuel Cocker in Hathersage.[2]

He moved to Stocksbridge in 1842 to establish his own wire drawing business.[1] In 1842, Fox married Maria Radcliffe (born 20 January 1820) at Stannington, Sheffield. They had one son, William Henry Fox (1843–1920) who never married.[citation needed]

In 1851 he and his company Fox Umbrella Frames Ltd developed the “Paragon” umbrella frame, a U section of string steel that was far superior to its competitors. Development of the product continued until at least 1935. A similar product was used to make Crinoline frames from 1855. Umbrellas with ‘Fox Frames’ were sold worldwide.[citation needed]

Fox bought the Bradwell Grove Estate, Holwell, Oxfordshire in 1871.

He died on 25 February 1887 and was buried at his estate North Cliffe, near Market Weighton, East Riding of Yorkshire.[1] A magnificent church, funded by the Fox family, was built in Stocksbridge overlooking the steelworks following his death. Saint Matthias church was so named because Samuel Fox died on St. Matthias’ Day.

Fox Valley sounds better than 'steelworks was here valley ’ !!

Above text with thanks to Wikipedia

The Fox Valley venue for the Tour de Yorkshire is an inspired choice. Full Gas Bikes are based there, a new cycle shop concept started by Tony Gibb a well known former professional cyclist and Eurosport Cycling commentator. The developer of this new shopping complex is also an avid cyclist.

I know times have moved on in the valley and the new shopping development, it’s great that the tour is in our area (2miles away from me), it’s how the tv/ media announce it as Fox Valley that makes me chuckle as it’s always been Stocksbridge. My Dad worked in the steelworks there many years ago and played football for Stocksbridge works F.C before signing professional at Sheffield Wednesday.
It will be great for the area as was the TDF when that came round.
Maybe mx5oc could have its own meeting area for those who may want to watch the race?

The route will be announced in December, it is possible that the race will come out of Fox Valley onto the Stocksbridge by pass, but as it is such a busy road it is more probable that they will use one of the two minor roads that go under the main road. There are plenty of places where we could watch the race, the secret will be choosing a spot where we do not get blocking in for hours by the support vehicles, close to a pub would be an advantage ! We took the motorhome to Ranaha Stones Farm and watched the TDF from near The Flouch two years ago.

Lets see which day the race visits the area and make a decision in December, certainly we will do a run taking in parts of the route next summer - it is on my list.