1990 V Special BRG

wow, looks great. Dread to think what that nardi gear knob cost!

Looks super my knob’s all cracked with a bit missing could do with a refurb that’s the one in the car How do tell if it’s a real one?

Looks great.Are the Driftworks Nardigear knobs always that darker shade or did they never match the wheel?. Even when cars were new? Only reason I ask as I too have mint BRG V Spec import but missing the gear knob. Its lovely car with only 130k KMS not miles,KMS and I have it years.I have few mx5,s so dont use the V Spec that often.I think the originals are lighter shade ?

This is the gear knob I purchased, and actually wasn’t too expensive 

https://www.driftworks.com/nardi-evolution-gear-knob-in-mahogany-52937.html

The picture on the web page shows it more as a two tone colour, which is what I anticipated, and seems to be how the OE version was. The one I have purchased matches my steering wheel well, but probably worth calling Driftworks if you want to ensure an exact match the OE version.  Worth noting that you need the M10 thread, rather than the generic grub screw attachment.

OK, this is probably going too far, but after joking that MX5 Parts were still advertising selling tax disc holders, I suddenly became all misty eyed for the days of tax discs (not least so I could remember when the heck the tax runs out!). So, a search on the internet, and I found a couple of places offering replica discs. So, low and behold, one replica tax disc, with correct registration, year and expiry.  No idea if this breaks any rules/laws - wouldn’t be surprised!

Will match my nice JDM stickers that are still showing on the windscreen Smile

With the constant rain we have had over the past few weeks, noticed condensation in the boot that was building up and a slightly damp carpet.  Usual suspect of the rain rail checked (I replaced this 2 years ago), and oddly, every nut was loose, and there was a very small drip on one of these.  Seems to have cured it now following some tightening up of the culprits.

Whilst on the quest to eradicate any possible leak, I replaced both of the rear light seals and the third brake light seal.  Looks as if it wasn’t a moment too soon:

714375.jpg

A couple of months ago, I purchased a DAS DA Polisher, and in what seems ages, the sun has, at last, come out, so I have been itching to give it a try out.

I’m planning on doing a full body polish later in the year, but for now, it was just a wax, and I used Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax. I normally use Autoglym products, but have never really got on with their Extra Gloss sealant. Loved both the polisher and the wax. Spread very easily and no problem buffing afterwards with a micro fibre towel. I’ve heard it doesn’t last as long as some waxes but for the price and ease of use, I can’t fault it.

Was about to take a photo of the car, and then the wife has ‘borrowed it’ for the evening!!

I got lots of advice on the polisher and how to use, and what to use, from the guys at www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/ Couldn’t fault them, and highly recommended. 

Seems an age since I have posted, but not much to update on.  I’ve purchased another toy (a 1978 Yamaha XT500 ‘thumper’) which has eaten my free time.  However, the MX5 is now pretty much where I want it to be, so just enjoying driving it.  The lack of air con keeps nagging at me, so may turn my hand to that, and possibly upgrade the brake pads for a bit more bite, but as its only on the road and not being drive ‘that’ hard, no rush.  Completed the usual oil/filter/plug change last month. 

I did, clean out the soil/moisture trap at the bottom of the front wing last night.  Amazing how much rubbish accumulates in there.  Unfortunately, while undoing one of the bottom sill bolts,  had that horrible feeling as the ratchet went slack in my hands, and the head of the bolt snapped off .  No major panic as two bolts hold it on, but will be a pain to drill out and tap.  Will tackle it when I undertake the next oil change and have the car up in the air.

I’ve also made the decision to stop using her as an all year round daily car, so will join the masses who SORN over the winter months.

Any thing with V Spec BRG I feel compelled to reply, jobs done since last time we spoke besides usual maintenance were rear drop links and tart up of engine, still going strong as ever and using it more than my other wheels, cheers Rob.

I’m impressed with your engine bay Rob. Did you clean up the cover and plenum in situ? Liking the BMW too.  Never ridden one of their newer bikes, but did have a K75S for a while.  This is my thumper when I bought it.  Now in lots of bits and boxes around my garage as its being refurbished.  Hope to have it sorted early next year, as the plan is to ride across the Pyrenees in the Spring.

Today, I did a quick brake service, as had been a little uneven breaking with the MX5 ‘squirming’.  Rear caliper was sticking slightly, so regreased all the sliding pins on all four corners, and now stops in a dead straight line.

Hi Rob here plenum in situ with small rotary brass wheel, rocker cover taken off easier to get at, heat shield sprayed with Hamerite silver but heat turned it that gold shade ,  but well well well I also had K75S silver, black engine and wheels, pulled clutch in side stand went up self canceling indicators, which gear indicator, D reg so 1986 loved the whistle, you know??, but no pics on digi cam so will have to find prints and copy to show you, yet another project,great to go back in time, but going forward to a car show in Wales tomorrow with 30 other Fives will be in touch, Rob.

It’s been far too long since I made an update, but today, took the MX5 over for her annual MOT, which she passed with a clean sheet.  Happy days!  Incredible to think, that she technically only has one more MOT left, before the 30 year rule kicks in and I don’t need to MOT her anymore!

Filing away the certificate, I just checked back on my invoices, and in the past 12 months, all I have purchased, was a service kit of plugs and filters from Autolink, and some Oil from Opie.  Total is less than £50 for a years motoring (ignoring tax, insurance and fuel).  Cant be bad.  The XT on the other hand is eating money at an alarming rate Money Mouth.

I read this and was a bit surprised.

Sorry to point this out Rusty Wheels but…

Department of transport

Indicate 40 years before this rule kicks in with no major changes to the vehicle in the last 30 years.

That’s a shame!

APOLGIES, didn’t see the previous replies 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here but you will have to wit a while longer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/roadworthiness-testing-for-vehicles-of-historic-interest

When I had my mk1’s it felt like a race against time? Would I live long enough to enjoy that privileg, or would tin worm take over before then  I’ll never know as I no longer own the car in question and I’m fairly certain the mk3 or me, won’t be around to take advantage! 

Barrie

Blimey, its been a year since I posted last! Also, apologies, as it looks like all my pictures have also vanished due to the hosting site changing their T&Cs.  One dark evening I’ll upload a few more.  Who are people using to host pictures?

Anyway, another year passes, and another MOT due.  At last years, my emissions were creeping up, and after changing the Oxygen sensor and the rear coolant sensor, whilst they improved the results and probably would have passed, it was clear the Cat had reached the end of its life.  Big shout out to Rhino666 of MX5bitz for supplying me a new Cat, plus fitting kit.  Great service, and a great chat on the phone!  Unbelievably, the old Cat came off no problem (was expecting a fight with the bolts), and new one fitted a dream.  Only other issue was rear o/s brakes binding a little, but strip down to grease the sliding pins solved that, so she passed with flying colours!

Looking at the MOT, I only covered 1500 miles this year - so promise to get out more.

Only other thing I have done to her, is fitted a mk2.5 engine brace.  I know its not quite authentic, but the mk1 brace with the hinges at each end, seem (to my uneducated brain) to have a basic flaw in their design. I was rather skeptical that the brace would make any difference, but actually it has quietened down the front end, and is noticeably quicker steering.  Shame the mk2.5 brace doesn’t look as nice as the mk1 brace.  Maybe I’ll try one sometime in the future.

I now use Imgur for pictures, just had to have a new rear calliper on mine also won a comp on face ake and got these refurbished.

I use PostImage - free, easy to use, intuitive folder creation for organised storage, plenty of hosting space for me.

HTH
Steve