1st 2nd Gear change MK3

Hi after reading endless threads on difficulty on 1st 2nd gear changes,just come across this thread on the Miata site particularly the bit about reverse lockout plate.Just wondered if anyone changed this part to any success

Read post #20

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=715639

1 Like

I would suggest that is a totally different issue to grating syncro’s which is most people’s concern.

NickD, can you, or anyone else please, help to re-direct me to any discussions, relating to 1st and 2nd gear selection on the NC, especially when the engine is cold?

Have a read here…

If you’ve not already done it change the gear oil. I guessing you have a 6 speed?
Castrol Syntrans is the oil I’ve used, you’ll need a smidge over 2 litres to fill the 6 sp, under 2 ltrs for a 5 sp.
It does make a difference with the oil change and in addition the following…
Grease the upper joint on the gear shifter and top the turret oil up, it could be dry.
If you experience you need to floor the clutch pedal to get a relatively crunch free change the pedal height bite point can be adjusted too.
Finally as I’ve mentioned in that link, try adjusting you gear change style. I’ve done all the stuff mentioned including instead of trying to force the change between 1st and 2nd I tend to do it in a two stage movement, a slight pause between. It’s then ok after the warm up but I continue to change gear in the same manner.

I bought a brand new car around 6 years ago still got it. That was a pig to get in 1st gear when cold (in winter) and sometimes reverse brilliant when warm. The gearbox is slick when warm, best car I’ve owned in recent years (MX-5 apart) that’s a SEAT and why I’ve kept it so long.

Thanks MickAP, much appreciated.

Mines a 5 speed witch was notchy etc even after warm up. Swapped the internal oil and topped up the turret(which wasn’t that low) and it made the world of difference.

I have a 2009 Roadster a 6 speed which has always been a bit stiff from 1st to 2nd gear until it’s warmed up. Looking for something to do this winter under lock down I thought I’d try and sort it, having read several MX5 OC recommendations.
I changed the gearbox oil and turret oil with the recommended oils and also replaced the gearstick selector plate. The car has only done 28k miles and the selector plate looked ok but as I had everything apart to access the turret I just replaced it anyway. The great day arrived, with everything back together, to see if my efforts had been successful. I have to say that apart from slightly smoother gear changes generally the stiffness from 1st to 2nd still remains until warm.
I guess that this is an inherent issue with this model that I’ll just have to continue to live with. It’s not a big deal and doesn’t diminish my enjoyment and my recent work gave me something interesting to do during lockdown.

1 Like

It’s the oil, we sell an oil which works.

If the biting point is in the carpet, adjusting the clutch pedal will help

After another clean mot pass, this weeks job to replace the gear selector plate on my nc 6 speed. Very simple job. Here is the old one, where the wear can be seen.

I’ve now replaced the bush with a brass version, replaced the turret oil (hardly any in before change), lubricated the mechanism. All have helped create a rifle like gear change.

I then decided to try and adjust the clutch pedal. Couple of you tube videos for some confidence and then what transpired to be a quick simple job, although getting back out afterwards was a challenge. Tiny adjustment made a BIG difference. I then adjusted a little more to get a perfect bite point and now the change, especially 1-2 is best it’s ever been.

Best value mod I’ve done.

No idea if the selector plate made any difference😬

2 Likes

Hi - which oil do you recommend?

Hi, changed the plate and (added) turret oil to my NC 2.0 6sp (100k miles). Made a huge difference. Easy job too. Keep in mind that the lower gearshift boot is probably torn too so worth having a replacement handy. Cheers

1 Like

Our own blend which you read about on the website or PM me through here and i"ll sort you out with some.

Is that the DuratecNC ROAD Gearbox oil £24 for 2 litres?

Yes it is.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that. I used the Red Line GL5 75W85 gear oil because so many MX owners recommended it?

D

I beg your pardon it was the Red Line MT90 75w90 Gl-4 Manual Transmission Transaxle Lubricant Gear Oil and the Red Line GL5 in the diff

Cool story bro :sunglasses:

So, i just changed out gearbox with the DuratecNC oil today. I dont know what was in it before, but when cold (even yesterday at +20deg outside) 1st/2nd was at best…notchy! At worst, crunchy! When warm, the gearbox was fine.

Straight away it is significantly better. I would say it was as if the box was warmed up to 75-80% (if that makes sense). Once warm it was fine (as it was before).

Just my experience with my car…although it was £36 delivered.

1 Like

36 quid is a small price to pay for a significantly improved gear change.
Has your clutch pedal biting-point adjustment already been optimised?
If not, then doing that as well may provide a complete cure.