2007 NC1 my soon to be reborn 1.8 roadster

It took me a few minutes to take this pic because there were always too many people around the car.  Well done Barrie, clearly a better build.

Reborn roadster

And then of course the prize giving

Prize giving

See what you did there Richard? A “better build” from Bettabuilda  nice to meet you at the show, hope you weren’t too cold? It was rather chilly? Thanks for taking the pictures! (and posting them up)

Barrie

Car looks great Barrie. I kinda like the black bonnet / boot lid combo on the 124 Abarth. So it was great to see it on a MK3. There was a group of us looking at it and we all commented how good it looks. When you have as many MOD’s as you have it’s easy to get it wrong and take it too far. Yours is a real head turner for all the right reasons.

One thing I was curious about. Yours looked more modded than the one in modified class how come you were only in lightly modded? Is that purely down to the 25th being turbo charged and yours, I assume isn’t?

Thanks for your comments  it’s a really funny one, but at the nationals last year, my car (not as it is now) was up against a beautiful PRHT with a BBR conversion? It won the lightly modified and rightly so as it was very, very nice. Mine has no engine mods, just a custom exhaust with a 200cell sports cat and a K&N filter so no idea how the cars are selected for which category. I would love to get a bit more oomph as it’s only the 1.8 mill in a base car, possibly the BBR 175 kit or its equivalent. Won’t be this year though 

Barrie

Cheers Barrie. Just noticed. You just gave me my 100th thanks

It’s certainly an odd one as to which category they choose to put the cars in.

A visit to BBR is on my cards. I recently paid them a visit and went for a spin in a 200. Very nice transforms the car. I probably will only go to the 180 or 185 but reckon that will give me what I’m looking for.

Mark

Sounds a great idea  would love to say " I’ll see you at BBR"  but enough spent this year according to Mrs B keep us posted if you do go ahead with your conversion. I supercharged my mk1 and it was the best thing I ever did, it just transformed the car, so I guess (for me) going from 124bhp to 175 ish in my current car would be amazing and more in line with the theme of a GT car too 

Barrie

Erm… Can we just clarify this. Did you or did you not at some point very recently say that the rebuild was finished?

1 Like

Did I say that?   Do you know, I’ve really enjoyed working on the car, I sort of bought it so I wouldn’t be tinkering like I did with the mk1, I was always in the garage with that one. It’s been great sorting this car out though and I guess the next step would be to extract a bit more power. Will definitely have to wait though (and in fact may never get done). I’ve put around a thousand miles on since “finishing” the car and low power or not, it’s a great drive, just feels nice getting into it and using it. 

Barrie

Wait until you go in a BBR modded car. There’s so much more to gained out of that strangled engine. you can feel the engine wants to just fly.

The BBR 175 kit, cams, manifold, filter, exhaust tips and remap is what I would go for. Or if Blink Motorport do something similar as they are only an hour or so from me. Keeping it NA but getting a good increase in bhp and torque  Coming in around £2.5k I believe, fitted and working. £50 per bhp roughly. Then again, I would love another supercharger but at £5.5k for the Corten-Miller with a manifold included, neither option is going to happen this year. Spent quite a bit getting the car looking nice this time round and that’s that for now.

i dare not get a test drive in a tuned car as I know what the outcome would be  

Barrie

Been having a tinker with the car today. Here’s a pic of the wheels I had on my mk1 supercharged Eunos. They are genuine BBS RS071’s 3 piece split rims with 3.5" alloy lips, beautiful wheels IMO  cost more than the car did! 

On to today and found the spinners so thought, what the heck.

And a side view of the car with them back on.

Couldnt find a similar full picture of the old car with the spinners fitted but this shows the wheels better.

Easily fitted and totally reversible, thought I’d put them on and see how they look. The rep wheels don’t look too bad compared to the genuine article so quite happy with them at a massively smaller cost than the genuine ones. Jury out on the spinners although they are “different”  Will see.

Barrie

So Barrie. Any chance that you might let us have your dear lady wife’s e-mail so we can let her know how your mind and wallet are wandering?

She knows already! That’s the issue, I’d be booking car in tomorrow but it’s a case of what’s hers is hers and whats mine is also hers?  Never mind, not sure how she’s put up with me for the last 30 odd years  I’ve been (early) retired for the last seven years but my better half is only 51 so plenty of working life in her yet  so I’m sort of a “kept man” and need to know my place. Seriously though, she just lets me “think” I’m in charge while pulling all the strings.  

Barrie

Cradle snatching and freeloading we can forgive, but revealing a lady’s age…

She wouldn’t mind (I think)   Hope she doesn’t get on here  it’s funny, but she doesn’t share my enthusiasm for the car but it was her that booked the Goodwood Spring Rally weekend for me and she’s already got accommodation for this years national? The obverse of the coin is she works hard and loves her holidays so I have to suffer being dragged round the world each year, it’s terrible. 

Barrie

Whilst rummaging in the garage earlier, I also found my old gear lever extension that was fitted to the mk1, so, much like the spinners on the wheels, I fitted this too

Being raised on a diet of Austin 1100/1300’s and Maxi’s with a Wolsley 6 cylinder land crab thrown in for good measure, this extended throw feels like a precision instrument  I actually liked it on the mk1, equally so on the Mk3 

Barrie

Blink Motorsport are authorised Corten-Miller installers and I’ve chatted with Fraser from them about it. No problem with 1800, obviously less of an improvement than a 2.0 but still seems very good? I’ve got to stop thiss musing, I’ll be getting one fitted before I know what’s happening! 

Barrie

It’s a short life, just do it! 

Beware though its £140 every two years for oil and filter. 

Still trying to come to terms with it. 

Rather liking the retro two knobs and a display head unit, stereo, radio, wireless… pick your description dependent on age.