2009 National Rally Debrief

If I was a member it would have been in one of the competitions. Next year maybe.

I went looking for him a few times during the day, Martin pointed him out to me so I could have a chat. Nice guy, I’m glad I got to speak to him before I left.

Also “hi” to the guy in the red import with the BBR number plate who I overtook on the A47 on the way home - nice after all these years to get a friendly wave as I passed rather than one of the usual less friendly waves [:D]

Hi Folks,

Our first MX5 OC rally, and definitely a good one.

It was amazing to see so many MX5’s together in one place, and great to see the range of different people, with different interests - track day enthusiasts, show car owners, ICE lovers,et all -  but who all share one thing in common - a love for the MX5.

I was impressed with the organisation of the event, it was relaxed but organised, just what - imho - a club event should be.

Knowing what catering is like at circuits, we brought a picnic, but the free teas and coffees in the upstairs suite was a nice touch.

Our car stayed off the track but we had a great time watching others enjoying it, and the Driftworks display was impressive.

Thanks to everyone who put in the hard work to organise the event.

Jon and Wendy

The Peaks and Pennines ‘chapter’ of the Owners Club will be organising the 2010 National Rally at Chatsworth on 18 and 19th of September 2010. Organised runs thtoughout the Peak District will take place on Saturday, with the main event starting on Sunday at 10am

An informal committee has been formed.

We have already met with the events co ordinator for the Chatsworth Estate and inspected the propose rally site, for any one who has previously visited Chatsworth, on the right, its just over the bridge, between the house and the river.

SK 259 702 on OS Map 119  see http://www.chatsworth.org/attractions/fishing

Dust should not be a problem.

The committee will be monitoring this site and taking note of the comments made.

Regards

Burton

I’d have to echo what most people have said on here, it was a great day. I must admit (and I’m not sure why) but I didn’t think the day would be ‘all that’ but it was certainly the best rally I think I’ve attended. Anyone involved with the day should give themselves a well deserved pat on the back.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Although I didn’t take part in the track action it was great to watch. There was a nice mix of traders, and the catering for us wasn’t an issue as we had brought our own food and drink. The free tea and coffee went down a treat though in the afternoon, and the icing on the cake was taking 3rd place in the Cool Mk1 category.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

The journey home was eventful too ……… whilst sat in the traffic on the A14 I heard a “excuse me mate” from a Vauxhall Zafira driver ……… he shouted across “is that a st1:country-regionst1:placeUK</st1:place></st1:country-region> or import?”. After explaining that mine is a st1:country-regionst1:placeUK</st1:place></st1:country-region> edition he went on to say “it looks bldy brilliant and immaculate mate, nice one” ……… then his lane started moving. He drove off shouted “BLDY BRILLIANT”. Think that finished the day off nicely !!<o:p></o:p>

Chatsworth House used to be a popular special stage on the RAC/Lombard Rally. Perhaps the Duke of Devonshire will let us tear up the grounds at next year’s National Rally? Maybe not …

It would be good to have somewhere at Chatsworth to give the MX’s some wellie, but wth the public roaming all over the park his is unlikely.

The park is closed to the general public for the Rally Show and the RAC - as was

The only place I can think of  is Sky Edge high above Buxton, and I think the surface is more for bangers or stock cars, but I will give it some thought.

Thank you for your well written and fair comments.  I will pass them onto my fellow 15/20 Team members.

Not everyone likes burgers or ice creams and so it’s something to bear in mind for next time.

I was busy for most of the day with the 15/20 raffle and had a short break when I went for well earned half pint of  lager, (it didn’t touch the sides). I thought the staff coped very well with the numbers present and I even got a smile from the bar man when he handed me my change.

As for the rally plaques I was giving them out at the raffle ticket table during the day.

Jenny Dorgan.

Raffle co-ordinator

Winner of the 2009 Colin Frewer Memorial Trophy.

Sorry, Burton. I wasn’t being serious. [:$]

Hopefully we can get all of the cars assembled in one area and admire each other’s efforts. The racing action at this year’s event was a lovely distraction and I didn’t spend as much time looking at the “static” display’s as I would have liked.

the whole day was brilliant & well organised. well done jenny & co. hope next year is as good fun.

it has probably been asked elswhere, if so i apologise, but what sort of amount in total will go to help for heroes?

joe

(the tall bloke with the silly green sun hat on the raffle table lunchtime)

Well, for once I was,

It was good to see the people who turn out for motor sport events, and the ones who enjoy the social side, together at the same venue.

Great event, well organised,

You must have contacts in high places to organise the weather.

A big thank you to all the 15-20 Organisers from the Peaks and Pennines Area.

I agree with the congratulations on a great day. Having only had my Mk1 for 3 months it was a bit nerve racking to go on track. But the instructor I had was brilliant. He really pushed my driving skills and we may not have been the fastest but got round saftely and many thanks for the good drivers on Red session afternoon. 

A few more tea wagons, especially in the morning would have been very welcome. But as someone else said, the ice cream van was the saving of the day! Well done to all the organisers from a young senior citizen![H]

I think I have finally woken up. We should thank Gerry Nichols for the weather, “second weekend in September’s always nice, you’ll be bloody mad if you don’t do it then!” [:)]

I hope everyone had a good time, it was rather busy and I got to talk to just about no one. Sorry to those that had to wait awhile for rides, I hope the rides made up for it and sorry to those I instructed who I may have been quite insistent that they needed to keep their right fool firmly down around Devils Elbow. [6][:$]

My black car, the safety car unfortunately broke a power steering pipe, side lining it for the later afternoon, but I hope we got everyone round that wanted to go.

Mallory have said that if we wanted to go back, the will help us set the World Record for the most single types cars in procession. Something for another time perhaps?

As stated earlier the 2009 was my first ever rally so I didn’t know about plaques, only finding out about them from this forum since. Unfortunately despite having been at the OC stand I wasn’t aware of them & have missed out completely  [::(], but will certainly look out for them at future rallies (it’s never too late to learn). Missing out on a plaque hasn’t spolt my experience & I look forward to the next one

Once again congratulations on a brilliant day to all those involved, I’m hooked [:)] 

Very enjoyable weekend, hotel was  good value,  Mallory Park a superb venue, gala dinner was excellent, cracking idea to have a live band.

Well done to all the team [B]

Shame about the dodgy auctioneer [;)]

Performed my good deed for the day on my way to the hotel, stopped to help a stricken MX-5 parked up in a lay-by…turns out the driver was having a ciggie [:$]

Hi Nick,

I had a go around the slalom, i was useless but it amused them watching me,and i really enjoyed it,i was lucky to get a hot lap in the nissan silva, i can’t remember the driver’s name but he certanly new he’s stuff.

What is the 0.60. time and top speed of the car.?

Thanks Les. 

That would be Al, if you look at the speedo from 2 minutes onwards, we don’t exactly know what the top speed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ZHOIlWP9g

Ok Nick what are you doing next month? [:D]

We have two days at Finmere.

Something for those who cant get to Northern Ireland for the spring rally?

Alan