2020 MX5 worth it?

I think the hard top peaked with the mark 3. Cant really beat a hard top that completely disappears. But surprising they didn’t find a way to get those buttresses out of the way with the top down as the car with the roof up looks ace

2 Likes

Agreed. :+1:

1 Like

Like those above me I quite like the look of the RF with the roof up, and my personal opinion is that Mazda should have made it as a proper coupe, which I would have loved! :heart_eyes: :heart:

4 Likes

I feel like I am the only person here who likes the profile of the RF with the roof down…

Personally, I much prefer the style of a targa/t-bar roof than a fully convertible roof.
I feel in love with the RF when I first saw it as it reminded me of my MR2 Mk2 t-bar.

4 Likes

You’re not the only one! :+1: I miss my RF! :pensive:

I would say an emphatic ‘yes’. However that’s in no small part my trying to justify the fact that I have just spent 28K on a Brand New 2020 MX5 GT Sport Tech. The reality is: probably not for most folks. However, if you can get 0% finance on PCP are fancy buying another Mazda next, it might make sense. The way i’ve justified it to myself is that i’m paying for the warranty, peace of mind and absolutely no compromises on the trim I want. (Metallic Grey with Burgundy Nappa Leather Interior). The alternative was to get a Boxster with 25K ish miles on it and, when you factor in the cost of ownership and the outright fun - I seriously don’t believe the MX5 is terrible value for money - even at 28K for the top-spec convertible. Remember, the price of a car isn’t what you buy it for, the price is the difference between what you buy it for and what you can sell it for down the line.

4 Likes

I liked the style of the RF roof up or down…the one thing I can say I had mine 2017 so it was a rare site then and it was often the case when I pulled up and raised the roof that I would get someone come over and ask were did the roof come from or were did it go .I even had someone follow me till I parked up and asked what car it was…so with that car your journey time was longer…not once did anyone say they did not like it roof up or down never had that happen with a so called standard convertible …Reading these posts I think there is a bit of green going on…and dislike is definitely a mx5 community thing …and iam not one sided sold the RF now have a mk3 convertable that iam just as happy with

2 Likes

No “Green” going on from me. I have the funds to buy one if I “wanted to”. :+1:

1 Like

Interesting comments both pro and con! My take on mx5’s is when I started with them almost 20 years ago, my first ever was already 11-12 years old! My last mk1 was 25 years old! Then I bought a ‘new’ one, only 8 years old! Current car is 10 years old now. So I reckon it will be a few years before I will have a ND. :laughing: When (if) that time comes, following my trend, I will more than likely buy the best I can for the right money irrespective of model, so 1.5/2.0, RF/convertible, I understand that each version will have its defenders and detractors, each to their own as its always been. Enjoy yourself, its later than you think :wink:
Barrie

3 Likes

It’s sadly toooo much money for an MX5. When you can pick up a very low mileage 20 reg M135i for the same or just less money, or a very low mileage Golf R or Audi S3

What about service costs on those? I’ve heard that they’re absolutely eye-watering in comparison with the MX5.

Interesting re servicing… :thinking:
Had a quick google and VW at Inchcape (as do many others) do fixed priced servicing up to 2.0 (which the R is) “From” £354 for a major service, (£184 for minor). I guess the from bit will depend on any extra parts outside the service parts.
I just went to book a Major service (4th) for our Mazda 2 (agreed it’s not a 5, but more or less the same parts and labour) where we went last year at Newport and they want £321.27, Swindon £359.55!! So basically £200 more for a cabin filter and brake fluid change.
So in comparison not bad considering the performance difference.
Mazda seem to be trying to price themselves out of the market.
I know they have higher over heads and do need to make a profit, but…
I won’t be going to any of the Mazda dealers this year, it will be my trusted Independent, (or me).

Mine came with a Maxda 3 service contract as part of the deal, after that it’s the local independent who’s an MX5 owner and expert.

1 Like

Flip the coin on that.
A Mk2 Jasper Conran Silver was around £21-£22K back in the day when fuel was around 75p per litre to get a little Price Index perspective.
Using a broad brush of peaks and troughs over the 20 year economy an ND ought to be around 35/36k…but we can debate that sort of thing all day long to suit our own opinions.
My pragmatic view is the ND still represents a very decent new 2 seater price point even today especially when used prices are all over the shop and you can get a good example cheap as chips…relatively speaking. Thing is, Hiroshima only gross around 6k per car…not a lot really. Frankly, I’m a bit surprise they bother with it…but the ND could very well herald the end of a soley fossil fuelled 2 seat car from them. I don’t expect the EU 3k fines per unit will help much long term either. Buy a new ND now, add depreciation, than layer on the EU fine, and there goes around 8k of you hard earned in year one. Good time to think of a cherished used one instead…sad to say. They are good at stretching marques like a bit of chewing gum to get as much profit as possible as we saw with the Mk2-Mk2.5 & Mk3-Mk3.5 eras. How long can anyone reasonably expect to keep producing sub 28k Mx5’s and avoid per unit losses?

2 Likes

My local dealer charges £107 an hour labour…