2020 MX5 worth it?

I’m not in the market for new but I thought it interesting that a 2017 ND 1.5 Sports Nav I had my eye on in lockdown has now gone UP in price since the dealer opened on 1st June! Perhaps the secondhand market is more competitive than the new but it seems strange to me.

I’ve just been told that the second hand market will be going up due to lack of cars as no one has been able to buy new ones, interesting…

Yeah that’s what I normally do mate, on this A5 I got the quote from a place wayyy down south, I sent it to my local Audi dealership with the location of the dealership hidden and said if you can match that I’ll order it. She said I’ll have to speak to the sales manager and get back to you. I was expecting them to tell me to jog on, I was shocked when they said we will match it :slight_smile: 21.4% off list!

Probably because of all the nice weather, more people are looking at them. My px price has gone from £19,850 before the lockdown to £18,150 now!!!

But other sites are showing more!

Thanks I’ll have a look today :+1:

I bet the stealers dropped you price but not the screen price on the car you wanted

I have often regarded the sticker price has irrelevant - i only know the true cost when i sell the car ie purchase price less sale price.

Also These days the sticker price is inflated to make the monthly rentals look more attractive.

I would definitely look around. I have a good friend who is an underwriter for a number of main dealers and he informs me that there is a distinct shortage of second hand vehicles at the moment. Yes, the trade in value may have gone down a bit but that seems a lot for a short period of time. The old saying is " when the sun comes out, the top comes down and the price goes up". Cars are making more at the car auctions as well so if they want your business, dont give in to them. Just walk away and tell them you’ll think about it. Also, the best time to purchase a car is the last week of the month. The dealers have targets and you never know, the car your looking at could be the one that helps them hit that target and they will be willing to move on the price.

I had a quick look and was shocked at how much prices have shot up. Bought my GT last summer as they seem to have gone up by 5K.

Must admit it sounds a lot used to have porsche z4 etc and compared to mk4 they are more solid better quality interior etc which u would expect as they cost more…that said as a 2nd hand buy after 3yrs the depreciation is reducing and do really like the drive styling and the economy but at 29000 i would go boxster

This is what Autotrader suggests for a Boxster in the £27,500 to £30,000 (you can’t pick £29,000) range. Starts at about 5 years old.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=relevance&postcode=ab217lf&radius=1500&make=PORSCHE&price-from=27500&price-to=30000&keywords=Boxster

I had a Boxster (bought it new) and whilst it was a great car, it was very different from the MX5. I sold it at 5 years old as I was no longer using it. Since I got my Mk1, I have bonded far more with the car and have done more miles in it. However at £29k, I would go for a Boxster too. However they can cost as much to service as an MX5 - my last service was £2,500…! However even having that much money to spend, I would rather pend £2k on a Mk1 and £3k getting it perfect(ish). However I would go for a new shape MX5 for about £16ish…golf & porsche|640x480

golf & porsche

Well missed out on another RF!!! Thinking it’s not meant to be!

Contacted the dealership (other end of the country) asked the right questions about the car, he sent me some pictures as it had just gone up for sale and none were on their website or Auto Trader…so I ask for a px price on my car. Five days later no px price, so I send the guy an email and he said we are still waiting! Nine days go by, so I contact them again…“The car has been sold pending a test drive”. It would have been nice to have been told considering I’ve been waiting on a px price…he wanted the guys name I was dealing with, but I couldn’t’ be a grass lol.

This was the car, latest sport tech version https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002217588459?aggregatedTrim=Sport%20Tech&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&make=MAZDA&sort=relevance&postcode=ch21hn&advertising-location=at_cars&model=MX-5%20RF&radius=1500&page=1

I’ve now found another and asked for a px price, so see what happens.

From my experience, speak directly over the phone (or even better at the garage) and get them to make a decision there and then. Just an opinion, but you will know exactly where you are. Emails etc are okay in the quiet times, but Summer is here and dealerships open again. They will be very keen now to shift cars. :+1:

Took your advice mate, after 24 hours I hadn’t heard from them!!! So I phoned up and spoke to a nice helpful guy. He looked on the system “Oh yes your details are here, don’t know how we missed it”, so I asked about the RF, it was registered just before lockdown as a demo but now it’s being sold with only 50 mile on the clock and one test drive! I said if you can give me a decent px price for my car I’ll come down and buy the RF this weekend with cash. I said it’s a 2.5 hour drive to get to them, so not ideal for them to give me a px price without seeing my car, but I have plenty of pictures if they needed to see it and I guaranteed it is as good as I say it is. He said he would pass the details over to the guy that gives the quotes.

Not heard from them since!!! :thinking: Any wonder they aren’t selling cars and more and more people are turning to lease deals???

Pondering this I feel that any car that’s going to cost more than I earn in a year isn’t going to be worth it, no matter what make/model/spec it is.

Something strange going on there.
Any sales person worth their salt should be able to do that straight away. Have they already sold it perhaps :thinking:
Seriously, I have done that for my last 3 cars. Rang, agreed a price, paid a “Refundable” £500 deposit (credit card) if not as described etc. As you say you don’t want to drive all that way only to find it’s been sold before you get there!
I guess if you really want that one ring the MD?
All the best :+1:

Just phoned them up and spoke to the sales manager, I asked him why I haven’t been contacted since I spoke to them on Friday? He said he’ll track down the guy I spoke to and my px details and get back to me asap…5 mins later I got a call. They sent an email on Friday! I checked my inbox and spam folder and nothing there, so he did the quote over the phone, he knew himself it was a no go on what they offered @ £18k, I’ve been offered over £600 more from WBAC. So it’s now just a case of if I can sell my car at a decent price before the RF goes!

But yeah as you say phone is better than email, they missed my initial contact email and I didn’t receive their reply email about the px!!!

Thanks for the update and at least you know now. :+1:

This is just MY opinion, but I am not 100% convinced about the RF.
The soft top yes.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a “good looking car” with the roof up.
But down, to me looks just like a car with a big sun roof and it’s “lost” its soul of being a true open top sports car.
When I first saw the RF launch video, I got quite excited and was maybe looking to get one from my 3.75. Saw the back go up, roof fold away and then? The back came back down in the same place.
Saw one again a couple of weeks ago in Tesco’s car park.
A beautiful soul red, but just do not like the look with the roof down.
Rather disappointed to be honest.
Some will love it of course. :+1: