5th & now 6th (šŸ™ˆ) MX5 & the beginnings of a Rocketeer build

Sorry one and all - thank you for the replies.

Itā€™s been a busy few days of pain. Lugging all my belongings down three flights of stairs for two days certainly helps you remember your ageā€¦!

Because of the weather forecast at the moment I havenā€™t made any further plans to move it.

Although I think I will just tax and insure it as I donā€™t really want it left on my driveway (albeit under the temp garage) without it being insured for obvious reasons.

Once the garage arrives and I move the car, iā€™ll begin some stripping down of the things I donā€™t need/want and also remove some weight from the car to make it easier to move around.

This is a good time to give fair warning to you all - I love my MX5ā€™s, I always have. However this is going to be - somewhat at least - a restomod. As such, I might remove/replace things that will result in you guys wanting to kill me. However, I would like to keep it quite OEM too. Iā€™m not a big fan of modding (just a personal preference), so anything I do change will be for performance/comfort reasons. Off the top of my head, at the moment that includes:

Seats - the current seats are fabric Eunos ones; fine but iā€™d like more support and a more classic look. Not certain on buckets, but if you have any suggestions add them to the post :slight_smile:

Wheels - My main consideration here is maintaining lightness, but providing more grip for the added power. I was never a fan of the original Eunos wheels, but now I have them I actually quite like them. However, iā€™ll hopefully be taking this on a few track days and itā€™s going to be running in excess of 250hp, so they probably wonā€™t suffice. Again, I donā€™t want any chav specials :smiley: so if youā€™ve got any suggestions, let me know. If there was a classic looking Mazda wheel from a more powerful car (RX7/8, MPS any of those) then that would be a consideration but I fear offsets would be wrong and they wouldnā€™t really match the style of the MX5.

Suspension - I donā€™t want to be scraping the floor. I had Meister Rā€™s fitted to my Mk3.5 and I am a fan of those, so iā€™m thinking thatā€™s a good route to go. I got them fitted at WiM and was very happy with the service there, so I would imagine this is the route to take.

Brakes - The Rocketeer guys have said they must be replaced as they are a weak point. My options are at a bare minimum, to fit bigger brakes from a more modern '5, but in my opinion if iā€™m going to be replacing the brakes (and taking it on the occasional track day), better isā€¦better. Willwood do some well regarded brake kits, so iā€™ll give this some more thought when the time comes.

What iā€™m trying to avoid, is making it an mx5 in appearance only. I know substituting the heart of the car is taking away a large part of what it is, but for me at least, the handling and fun of the car is what makes an mx5, an mx5. So whilst I want to modernise it and improve it, I donā€™t want to take anything away from what made the MK1 so special to start with.

I also donā€™t want to take up any more of your time - that got long :smiley:

Hope youā€™re all well and keeping cosy!

Andrew

The obvious brake upgrade is either to Mk.1 1.8 parts or another step up to Mk2.5 ā€œbig brakesā€ though I have a nagging feeling those 14" daisy wheels will not fit over the big brakes. Doubtless someone will jump in to tell me Iā€™m wrong. :slight_smile:

Anyway, exciting times, and I look forward to reading more in due course.

1 Like

I do enjoy seeing a restomod project!

1 Like

Just out of interest, what is the weight difference between the V6 engine and gearbox and the original?

Hi Andrew. Thanks for keeping us in the loop on your project. I hope things settle down for you before long.
I think itā€™s safe to say that no matter which direction you take with your car some will like it, some will not.
What matters is that you like it.
The purists might shudder but as long as you donā€™t insist they do the same to their cars then whereā€™s the harm.
At present there are plenty of standard MX-5s around so itā€™s not as if youā€™ve decided to convert the rarest machine on earth, right?
Regarding driving dynamics, apparently this conversion retains a very similar weight distribution so ride and handling could be kept virtually standard.
Mazda spent alot of time and effort getting everything just right with the MX-5 so any modification needs careful thought.
Be prepared to compromise in some areas if you want an absolute track missile. Driving a car like that on the road is probably not as pleasant as a standard car.
Equally, going for sports seats and bigger wheels with lower profile tyres is also likely to make the car quite uncomfortable on any but the smoothest road. Some of the beautiful compliance of the standard car is bound to be lost. Make sure thatā€™s what youā€™re looking for as none of this is likely to be cheap.
With all of that said (this has also become a long post,sorry) I am very much looking forward to seeing this project bloom as itā€™s right up my alley. I would love a V6 conversion just for the noise and drama personally so more power to your elbow.
Stay safe,
Guy

1 Like

Having read a review in this months EVO magazine - it stated that the Jag V6, being aluminium, was the same weight as the standard car.

If you look on their website ( Rocketeer Mazda MX-5 V6 review ā€“ big engine and big character for Mazdaā€™s small roadster | evo, there is a link to an NA, but the NB is not on line yetā€¦

1 Like

Rocketeer advertise the conversion as having no weight gain. Which I wish was the case for me. Ha.

Thanks for thr reply, Guy - you share a lot of the thoughts I have had myself.

1 Like

Personally i love the restomods and heavy modified. Itā€™s your car so you put your own stamp on it.
looking at brakes, racingbeat europe have a great set of front and rears, they are pricey and would require you going 15 or 16 inch wheels depending on wheel size. From my boredom searches Iā€™ve noticed JapanRacing have great wheel designs that are not chavtastic or garish. The JR29s look like Enkei clones, the JR3s and JR10s are my personal choices. (I plan a set of JR10ā€™s in black and bronze).
I found Alloy Wheels, Tyres and Performance Parts from LK Performance - LK Performance to have a great stock of wheels from most major brands. they also advised me 16x8s would require arch rolling. so maybe for OEM fitment go 15x7s for a thicker tire wall.

1 Like

Hi Joe - sorry, I didnā€™t see your message!

Thansk for the tips RE wheels - I have never purchased aftermarket wheels for a car, which bearing in mind iā€™ve owned neaqrly 30 is frankly shocking! So any advice is welcome!

SO, a minor update - iā€™ll add more this week.

Garage has been erected
Car is in garage
Car is on axle stands
Front bumper sort of removed (mostly using a saw!! :smiley: :see_no_evil: )

So, weā€™ve started!

And heā€™s off :grin:
Remember the old adageā€¦pics or it didnā€™t happen :wink:
A saw you say? Interesting :thinking:

I donā€™t know about others but I feel quite excited.

Eager to see and hear more soon :+1:

Yes we like to see projects developing - vicarious joy - and someone else spends the money! But pictures are essential!

Iā€™m not the most knowledgeable on aftermarket wheels, but thank you. LK Performance and Performance Alloys or any large stockist will have experts to contact and discuss styling and sizing. Wheel fitment Industries also have users upload their cars and wheel set ups for ideas and fitments from OEM setups to 10inch wide drag builds to slammed camber.

Good to see you have a garage up and the car indoors, mines still living in a uni car park under a car cover.

Minilite lookalikes??

Hi team.

Right - the Rocketeer kit and engine arrived today!

Just in time to block me in when iā€™m legally allowed to leave my house again, classic :smiley:

Here is the video Bruce sent of the engine being put through its paces before being sent out to me.

Engine dyno

Iā€™ve got lots of updates - should I start a new thread do you think or is this one OK?

Hope youā€™re all well,

Andrew

4 Likes

Good to see those crates of goodness. Now the real work begins :wink:
Iā€™m eager to see the updates wherever you put them but it makes sense to me to keep the project whole and in one place. Others mileage may vary :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Andrew,
Good to hear of your build diary, I will follow with interest and of course the best of luck. I currently drive a nearly new ND, which ainā€™t being messed with :sweat_smile: But I do have almost 40 years experience of car projects in the form of kit cars .Builds rebuilds , mods etc. Sounds like youā€™re well prepared but if I could say one thing itā€™s keep the momentum going ! An afternoon in the garage, even with little progress, will leave you wanting more. Leave it for a few weeks and it becomes more difficult to start up again ! My Kit which I have owned since 1983 is roadworthy and will be DVLA historic in December is very much a case in point. Itā€™s been on the road, then put off for years awaiting a rebuild, then when I started again, I loved it and couldnā€™t stop ! I always got so much energy from meeting up with other like minded individuals sharing ideas etc. And remember itā€™s more like a marathon or maybe 5-10k not a sprint ! One last thing about the puristsā€¦ remember the cars for you, not them ! Sorry to drone on, hope it makes sense :crossed_fingers::+1::+1:Rich

2 Likes

Hi guys,

Ok - iā€™ll keep it on this thread, keeps things simple!

Thanks for the message Rich - never worry about ā€˜droningā€™, encouragement is certainly something iā€™ll need a lot of :slight_smile:

Luckily iā€™m self-employed and I work from home so I get to tinker most days, so hopefully the momentum will keep me going - I have actually achieved a fair amount - I just need to add it all to this thread, hopefully today is the day for lots of fluff and many pictures!

Hope you are all well.

Andrew

1 Like

Yes please :slight_smile: