'93 BRG restoration.

Sprayers tell me as well, on the old cars, this piece can get brittle, but customers insist on the coachworks paying for the £100 replacement. It does come down to how much you want to spend on the car. In the end, there will always be a modest ceiling on how much a Mk1 is worth. They’re not worth a £5k+ repaint!

Monday/Tuesday final refitting ,fettling & valet.

MOT Wednesday.

What could possibly go wrong?

absolutely nothing, hopefullySmile

BTW Saz. Whole nose was painted today. ???

MOT flying pass.

No advisories.

Given there’s mostly all new parts and zero corrosion, it’s the result I’d hoped for.

Hopefully being delivered this morning.

Then straight up to ProGrip to have the all knew chassis OEM torqued & lasered.

Then, probably back into the garage as the weather is not looking promising. 

Took the little beast, after a week of bedding in following it’s very expert ProGrip lasering, for a “test” over a local road called Duke’s Pass.

Famous for around 80+ torturous bends, humps, etc over 13 miles.

It goes from Kilmahog, just past Callander, to beautiful Aberfoyle. Just a gallon from my door really.

Suffice to say in all my years of ownership, it was an eye opener. The new brakes will pull your teeth out! 

The Koni coil-over SRT kit certainly has transformed the handling and ultimate mechanical grip. They are about 15mm lower. Compliance etc very similar to a good Mk2.5Sport. Firm, but not silly. Body roll is essentially gone…even in extremis. Long undulations at decent speeds very well controlled. It never bottomed out, and rebound is well controlled.

In short…I may have only found out what an early Mk1 chassis can really do when all the bits are out the box.

All leccys are bang on bar the mirrors, and unfortunately the driver’s cables snapped but Autolink are fitting a complete unit when I go down shortly to have the new hood fitted. 

Lots of minor fettlings & cosmetics in store now.

You might like this roadster

With full road rally dash setup

Good grief Saz.

On the one hand, it looks mint and to good to chuck around forests, on the other…

I think the Japanese owner is just emulating a classic look, rather than competing. The Austin Healey; is it actually used in road rallies? Maybe those reliability trials…

Getting back 'on thread ’ so to speak … First of all -the photo  looks good Robin , get a few more on !!    Now on to the comments above - you have confirmed exactly what I experienced when I replaced all the bushes and renewed all brake components (inc. calipers) plus got a proper 4 wheel alignment . The transformation was amazing and continues to put a big smile on my face every time I have a blast around the Cornish Lanes .   And as you know from images you may have seen of my Green Beastie … Lots of minor fettlings and cosmetics continue to continue Smile    Great to see another BRG Mk1 restored to former glory and preserved for a long time to come ??

Thanks B-D.

Let’s face it, MK1’s are in the late Autumn of 5 life now, just like any other marque as they evolve.

It seems to me, there is a small core of die-hards who see them for what they were, and are.

I can take some comfort when I turned around from the burger can in Aberfoyle, and a few local workers were over the car like a rash taking photos.

That told me…it’s been worth it. 

You’re right there, but they’re not all current Mk1 owners. Selling a Mk1 is something you don’t get over. I’d have another.

In 1989 I needed a new car, I WANTED an MX5 but I NEEDED a four seater, so I bought a Pug 205 1.9l GTI.  I still have a soft spot for the Mk.1, it’s the only model worth having, except for my Mk.4 or course.  You’ve done a great job Rob!  Now enjoy the fruits of your labour!

Looks Super, I’m sure you will enjoy it

Great to see it’s back on the road where it belongs after all the hard work and financial outlay.

Time to enjoy it again.

Owning a mk1 is a bit like a disease, there is no cure and you have to be a bit mental. Also you can’t stop smiling.

Have fun.

Quite.

I guess I’m tame & cheapskate in comparison with folk with forkl out 9 /12k for Heritage MGB shells etc! 

I’m left to speculate on “what price” a new ( galvanised!) Mk1 shell…unobtainable of course.

Just saw this in the metal for the first time today…and omg! She looks absolutely stunning! Had a wee mini-meet with Robin today at the Forth rail bridge in South Queensferry and had a wee spin in each others cars. First time ive been in a 1.8 auto (had been in a 1.6 auto years ago) and with the sports mode etc this thing flies!!! Really impressive, and feels so tight too. Ta for taking me for a spin mate, been looking forward to seeing this for so long, was deffo worth the wait!

Now go enjoy!!! youve you’ve earned it!

A couple of photos from today:

Rest can be viewed here >>>  https://civic5.com/forum/topic/12066-daves-mazda-mx5-mk1-aka-mindy/?page=3