A visit to The Isle of Wight ***Moved to June 2022***

Hi there! I’m new to 5’s and the owners, assuming all is well this year, I would like to attend and get to know some fellow enthusiasts!

I would be coming from Portsmouth and should be able to do the day :smiley:

Cameron Silk

1 Like

Hi Cameron, hopefully, we will be able to go ahead with this visit this year. Be sure to keep an eye on the Solent Forum and FaceBook pages for any updates on this one.

Regards

Mal

2 Likes

We have also booked the ferry and B&B for 5+6 June to make a weekend of it. Are there any IoW locals here who can recommend some nice drives on the IoW ?

@TonyIndiana , try @Darren_MZ , he lives on the IOW, fingers crossed that the event happens but looking at the latest Government covid rules only 30 people can meet up near the date and that is provided there is no increase in people transmitting the covid19…

Hi Tony,

Ive now moved from the Isle of Wight, although when lockdown restrictions ease we shall be visiting very regularly.

As car as driving roads, do not miss Military Road between Blackgang and Freshwater Bay, The Downs Road between Briddlesford Road and Ashey Road, and the viewpoint from Brading Down Road.

Obviously there’s many more but these are the ones that I never ever tire of.

Also be sure to drive along the seafront at Sandown, Shanklin and Ventnor.

Thank you @Darren_MZ ! I will make sure to give those a go. I will go on Google Maps to try and stitch them together into a circular route.

Hi Terry and Mal,
Starting to reflect on where to take the Le Mans this year. Have pencilled in the Historic Car Show at Thruxton on 12/13 June and am considering joining your “overseas” trip. Is it still on and when do you suggest I book the ferry slot and for what time please?
Best wishes
Roger

Hi Roger,

It’s very good to hear from you and sincere apologies for the delay, as I have had some internet issues in the last few days but have litterally just fixed it and saw your message drop in.

I was recently in contact with Darren Townrow on the Island (end of Feb) to discuss this one and given that we are still rolling out the vaccines and due to the age demographic of our members (which includes us as retirees), we came to the conclusion that, as restrictions will not ease sufficiently until 21st June 2021, we would be better to postpone yet again to 2022 :roll_eyes:

So, as things stand, we will be looking to run this event in June 2022. To this end, only yesterday, I emailed Red Funnel to get a refund back onto my credit card for the crossings and await their reply. I will re-book once the dust settles, as Serena and I were going to make a little of a holiday of it, with both of us being reired now, so were going over for about 4 days.

Once things settle due to the dreaded Covid, I will re-post the event. However, I thank you for reminding me that I need to update the post on this one to reflect this, as I had emailed only those who had commited to this event to explain what was happening and all were happy.

Lets hope we get some good news from the “MX5OC Top Team” sometime soon, as to when drives and events resume, even if we are only allowed 30 people initially.

on another note, we are going to The Lake District in September with SCCT. The dates are 12th to 15th Seotemeber and it would be lovely to have you, Mrs Mead and your Le-Mans along, if you can make it.

Currently we have a faily small group and if you were available, please email: kieran.line@sceniccartours.com soonest (copy:mal.rowland@mx5oc.co.uk) and he will hopefully be able to add you to the list, providing the hotel has availability, as “staycations” are the order of the day in these strange times.

Best Regards

Mal

Dear All,

Please be advised, that Darren Townrow and myself have been talkng recently, as to the future of this event in 2021 due to Covid 19. In the end we both agreed to further postpone this event to June 2022 to give the vaccine programme a fair chance and also be more certain that any further restrictions will not limit the enjoyment of the group tour.

Please rest assured that Darren and I are still in contact and hoping to resurrect this IOW visit next year and will post further details once known.

If anyone has booked ferry crossings, please email:customerservices@redfunnel.co.uk in order to obtian a credit or refund.

Best Regards

Mal Rowland

Thanks Mal both for the update and the invite to join your small group visiting the Lake District. Yes Lynn and I are interested so I will contact Kieron.
Best wishes
Roger

Morning Mal. Kieran has added us to the Lake District trip. Many thanks for allowing us to join you.
Looking forward to catching up at Thruxton in June.
Best wishes
Roger

Hi Roger,

That is fantastic news and we look forward to seeing you and Lynn joining us in The Lakes and also at Thruxton.

We need to get our MX5’s out on the road again after all this time in lockdown😎

Regards

Mal

Please pencil Geoff & Lyn in for this, thanks👍

Will do👍