Air Con Leak?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC
  2. I’m based near: Fife
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Air Conditioning

I thought I had an oil leak but on further inspection I think I’ve lost all the air con gas/oil. I can see a leak from this area in photo. Could you guys please confirm this is the air con plumbing? It’s the area around that particularly rusty bolt head. Ta

It looks like it to me, trace that pipe up into the engine bay they are usually metal for aircon.
If it’s the seal gone on the plug that could be easy to replace although it all needs degassing then a regas at a qualified garage.
Having my NC checked and regassed next week, he did my daily driver last week. Obviously does a test first to determine any leaks then advises if any thing needs attention first. Way too far from you unfortunately.

1 Like

Cheers Mick. There’s a couple of places nearby I can try. It’s awkward to get to though. Had to unbolt most of the plastic under tray and wheel arch linings. :frowning:

Pretty sure the leak is from the area highlighted in this pic. I’m wondering if it has an O-ring in there that I need to replace? This is a stock pic BTW, not mine.

Anyone have any idea if on the right lines here?
Capture

Yup, pretty sure that’s the connection to the A/C condenser.
Mine was leaking there and the two connections to the receiver dryer on the side. They are push in connections with an O ring on the end. That rusty bolt holds it in. On mine the alloy had formed a white powder that had contaminated the O ring and hence the leak. You need to clean the powder off using a soft bronze wire brush. I used one for cleaning a gun barrel to clean the inside. Then a new O ring with a smear of the special grease on, refit, pressure test, and regas.
Good luck.
D
PS this is the link to the thread when I had my problem if it helps.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s a terrific help! :+1:

Does it need to be a Mazda specific o-ring or any, so long as it’s the correct size? I might buy a selection and just hope :blush:

They don’t have to be Mazda but need to be the right size and made out of the correct material. I replaced mine as I bought them before I took it all apart but to be honest I’m reasonably sure once I’d cleaned it all up I could have reused the old ones as they looked fine. I’ve still got them somewhere if you want them.
D

Thank you for the kind offer but I’ve ordered from local Mazda dealers. Pick up Saturday and regas booked for Sunday at Kwik Fit. I thought I’d give them a chance as they’re very local to me.

1 Like

The oil they use as A/C lubricant has a UV dye in it, especially for this diagnostic purpose. Same with coolant - it has UV dye in it. A while back, I bought myself a small pocket-sized torch with a combination of UV and visible light emitting diodes in the head. The visible light helps you aim it at bits of the car and the UV light will make any leaking fluids (coolant, A/C gas leak) glow. This enables you to track the glowing trail back to the leaking component. You can be the star of your own episode of CSI Mazda.

1 Like

Still leaking after the re-gas :frowning: Should there be a gasket on that bolt-in part? Didn’t notice one when I took it apart. Just some corrosion. Fluid shouldn’t be getting passed the new O-ring though, surely?

It looks like there is some sort of seal in there

That’s the o-ring. Doesn’t look like there is anything else . . . Thanks for the picture. :+1:

1 Like

Under a tenner. This will help you locate the source of the AC leak.

Vansky UV Torch 21 LEDs, UV Flashlight Black Light for Pet Urine Detection, Blacklight Detector for Dog Urine, Pet Stains, Bed Bug on Carpet/Rugs【3 x AAA Batteries Included】 https://amzn.eu/d/byf1LiZ

Trouble is, I can see where it’s leaking from. Just don’t know why! :blush:

Ooohh, that is interesting :thinking:

Now, assuming you have cleaned up both the bits which fit together and have used the correct sized o-ring… could the system have a blockage somewhere which is causing over pressurisation?

Normally, the system will sense this over pressure and de-clutch the AC compressor to prevent any issues.

Sorry, I know I haven’t helped much.

1 Like

Got to ask, why didn’t Kwik fit do a leak test first before the regas?

Mines going in Wednesday for the same job, he does a leak test first.

Kwik fit well we all know what they are like. Am i surpised

Nope. They just put the stuff in. Haven’t got a clue if it comes straight out. I won’t bother with them again.

I went to KF to do their free aircon check as my 5 wasn’t blowing cold, KF told me it would take an hour and if the car had any gas in it I would be charged £65 for the test. I told them I had changed my mind and went to Halfords instead and they put a connector on the nozzle, said there was no pressure which normally means an empty tank, put a small amount of gas in and it didn’t leak so was only charged £50 to refill the tank. In and out in 10 minutes.

I have had some good experiences at KF but more bad than good, I only tend to use them in an emergency.

1 Like