Air con needed šŸ„µ

Not bad thanks Amber. Lot of sweat hereā€¦ (Too much informationā€¦!) :rofl:
When it gets this hot a/c is such a good thing to have - Found out that for me, it works better with roof down, obviously, but with the windows closedā€¦ I feel the air from the vents in the dash better that wayā€¦!
Hope you can find a cost effective way to get your a/cā€¦! :slight_smile:
Rob

1 Like

On an older car youā€™re very lucky if itā€™s fixed with just a regas. Usually there is a hole from a stone in the condenser or the compressor is seized through lack of use.

Aircon is something you have to use or lose. I use it in the winter to demist the car also, it sucks out the damp.

1 Like

It shall be sortedā€¦ as I cannot cope lol

1 Like

Agreedā€¦ Mine in on all-year-roundā€¦
Rob

2 Likes

I dont think it does have airconā€¦ im not sure what to look for and it doesnā€™t have a button for.it either.

That is a very good price.

Here in London everything is at least double that. KF is not the cheapest, but they are only five minutes away. (I did find a couple at 55 several miles away).

My local mobile guy (first recommended to me by my neighbour who seems to know everybody trade) has retired, too much grief with corroded units and unhappy customers expecting him to fix bits as well as simply regas. Then Covid put the lid on it.

A shame because he was a really nice bloke and checked my domestic aircon was up to spec when I installed it.

1 Like

Count the ancillaries on the engine connected by belts, then also these have pipes and/or wires. Not all ancillaries are needed!
Crank pulleys have belts to everything, ignore idler rollers
. Alternator (on the left)
. Waterpump (in the middle)
. Power steering (on the right of the water pump nearer the top)
. Aircon compressor (on the right below power steering)

1 Like

Ā£3.49 from Amazonā€¦donā€™t hold your phone whilst driving.:grin:

31xhcOjNd6L.AC_SY580

Seriously I donā€™t go out in mine this weather, needs to be a good 4-5 degs lower. Itā€™s just a few days per year we have to cope with it, I can handle that just but not in the car.
Been out today, Aircon always on in the daily driver, but we then have to get out and back in the house, warm in here even with the fan on rattling away.

2 Likes

Confession Time folks. Had to make a quick journey of about a couple of miles yesterday early evening to a friends house. Weather was scorching,so took the wifeā€™s Kuga with the air con on full.

2 Likes

I can co firm I do not have ACā€¦ no compresser no nothing.

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna use the cx3ā€¦

1 Like

I recently saw a comment on a YT video about AC where this family put canvas bags of water (Iā€™d have thought it would leak) attached to the mirrors (so since it was plural I presume side mirrors, not interior) to cool the air down. Couldnā€™t figure out how that worked unless they were tied to the mirrors and dropped inside through the window.

Anyway, it made me curious as to what people did without air conditioning for older vehicles and it turns out in America they use a Swamp Cooler:

I read somewhere else you can expect a 10 degree lowering of the temperature.

Of course, I also see theyā€™re a bit pricey :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was a common thing in Africa when I was small.

Our current UK 30C temperatures were normal for much of the year out there in the tropics.

It was expected to lose some of the water because the outside of the bag was damp and transpiring, but not dripping, and the rest inside was refreshingly cool.

2 Likes

Interesting, so did they hang outside the car or inside?

As I said the bit I couldnā€™t fully get was the idea of them hanging on the mirrors, since presumably weā€™d be talking the old tall arm mirrors on the wings as opposed to actual side mirrors on the door/quarterlights?

Usually anywhere in the shade, no point in boiling them in the sun - a paint-free bonnet was often hot enough to cook lunch on.

I was small and didnā€™t pay too much attention except when I needed a drink!

only option for a MK2.5 is to get second hand parts from a scrap car. MX-5s havenā€™t done the AC kit for this model for many years as I did enquire a few years ago. And as not many had it in the first place its not easy to come by second hand. I gave up looking in the end, but maybe one day Iā€™ll be lucky.

I can honestly say that there really is little worse than sitting in an MX-5 with no AC with the roof down stationary on a UK motorway in full sun in temperatures heading to the 30s. And not much better when youā€™re moving or with roof up to be honest.

Car AC is a wonderful thing, Iā€™m not sure quite how we managed back in the day.

2 Likes

Remembering those vinyl seat that were in cars (back in the day). I use to have a hand towel over the squab area and a sleeveless jumper (the one my Grandmother had kitted me for Christmas) pulled over the upright of the seat.
Richard.

1 Like

Hi Amber I have exactly the same model as you and fitted air con myself. Sourced all the parts from Suffolk Mazda who had removed all the parts already from a car they had broken up. Couple of years ago but think they charged me Ā£100 . The loom in your car has all the relevant wiring and plugs already and it took me a day to fit. Had transformed car on long summer journeys. You may need to buy a couple of relays, they are there already but weā€™re badly corroded on mine. If you try and get ones for air con they are quite expensive but I found equivalent in Halfords for a couple of quid each. Contact me if your going to do it yourself and I can give you some pointers, the bundle of bits I got were short one seal which fits between air con unit and heater box so you need to try and make sure you get this as is really odd shape .

5 Likes

But that surely defeated the whole point of having vinyl seats - touching bare flesh on sun heated vinyl and the athletic leap back out of the car in agony.

1 Like

also worth keeping an eye out on facebook. try @Mx5SparesUk may get lucky.