Another turret oil post, sorry

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2.0 NC
  2. I’m based near: __Chester
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Turrret oil

Sorry about this chaps but I’ve looked in the search and not found a definitive answer to this question.

Decided to check the Turret oil, very low - intact couldn’t see any. ‘Topped up’ but where to? Decided to stop adding oil when it reached half way up the gear stick cup in the turret. enough?, too much?? So where is the correct top up level?

Thanks

This is how much I put in mine, 1st pic.
Grease the upper part of the ball too, 2nd pic.

1 Like

thanks Mick, similar amount of oil then, didn’t grease the ball though!

guess I’ll wait for another rainy afternoon - tomorrow then !

Mazda don’t give a level, just an amount of oil to add from empty, transmission overhaul for example where the housing has been drained.

For the 5 speed 290-330 ml or for the 6 speed 80-230 ml.

I’ve updated the FAQ.

5 Likes

When I did mine I tried to suck out what was already in there using a large syringe with a bit of plastic tube on the end. Can’t remember how much I got out but I did get some out. I then put about 250cc of fresh oil in.

I did mine a week ago exactly like Mick, did worry about how much oil went in…

Definite improvement. Really pleased.

This is an interesting thread…

Am I correct in thinking that both the 5 and 6 speed NC’s require turret oil?

Can anyone advise how to do this/get to the point of topping up the oil?

And is the oil the same as what I previously used in the gearbox, I.e Castrol Syntrans 75/90?

According to Robbie’s post above yes the 5 speed does have turret oil. Something I’ve learned as I wasn’t sure before. Any gear/diff oil will do, not critical.
To access the gear turret you need to remove the centre console, see the first 60s of this video for the locating screws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAADNJime44
Basically you lever out the front coin tray, the clip in cover at the very back of the console and a cover under the cup holder section. Once off they will reveal the screws/fixing points. Once you have them out remove the gear knob, it twists off anti clockwise and then unclip the handbrake gaitor and remove. The the console should lift up at the rear then tug it away from the fixing lugs at the front. Beware though you will need to remove the window switch connection before fully lifting the console away, that connection is a little fiddly to get at.
Once off you are faced with as seen in the pics below, simply remove the upper boot 4 nuts, the rubber surround below that then the gear shift itself 3 bolts to remove. Easy enough really just remember which way you took the gear shift off to return it the same (well I did anyway)
As my above post drop some oil in there and grease your ball.

1 Like

Just done it! Piece of cake!

Interestingly though, I didn’t grease my ball…

The reason being that when I took it all out the ball was sufficiently soaked in oil, thus lubricated.

Can’t say whether I expected this or not, but the shift is (and always has been) absolutely fine!

I topped mine up around 2 years ago then last year I pulled out all the oil and replaced it.

Glad I’ve seen this as I’ve just bought the brass cup replacement.

Be interested to hear how that improves things…

I tried the brass collar and found the gearchange to be markedly worse, so returned it (exceptional customer service from MX5parts, as usual).

In my inexpert opinion I think that the difference in height was the issue.

Original:
External diameter: 24.21 mm
Internal diameter: 17.32 mm
Height: 13.99 mm

Brass replacement:
External diameter: 24.64 mm
Internal diameter: 18.17 mm
Height: 16.61 mm

Car is back running on the plastic original.

Great thread, but what are the symptoms of lack of oil, not replacing the oil in the turret?

There aren’t really any symptoms. It just may improve shifting slightly and reduce wear in the turret components. The oil sees no real wear so if the level is ok it should be good.

1 Like

I must check mine, but I may take the chance and just cut it down to the oe height.

Is it gear box oil that goes in?

Yep you can, or diff oil even engine oil.:+1: