Any tips or advice for first time track day?

Hi, I have a 2013 NC 3.75 that I’m about to take to my first ever track day on Monday (10th Oct). I’ll check tyre treads, pressures, oil etc. and take some spare fluids but I wondered if anyone had any other tips or advice for a track day newbie?

I’m going to Bedford Autodrome as I hear it’s a good circuit for beginners with plenty of run off areas, I have my helmet (and gloves fwiw) but just wanted to see if any seasoned track day campaigners had suggestions for things to take/not take or do/not do on the day?

I’m no seasoned campaigner but here are a few things that come to mind…

If it’s available, book in for tuition. You’ll learn loads and have more fun.

Arrive with a full tank of fuel and keep an eye on your fuel levels though the day. You’ll use more petrol than you might expect!

Ensure wheel lug nuts are tight with a torque wrench if you have one.

Empty your car of “stuff”; anything in the boot, glovebox, compartments etc. You won’t want it rattling around. Bring some heavy duty bin liners to keep said stuff dry if it rains.

1 Like

Let the nutters get round turn one before you head out.
Do a couple of laps then head back in to check your car over and calm yourself down.
Don’t apply your hand brake - leave it in gear.
Be a quick learner when it comes to letting quicker cars past. They tend to come in twos and threes.
Don’t try to be super quick from the get go. Build up pace by getting better at it. Tuition is a good shout.

2 Likes

As one novice to another…

There will be a drivers’ briefing. They’ll tell you what the flags mean, what protocols should be used for overtaking etc, basic technique, track layout, braking and apex markers, and tell you that you will be going for an early bath if you don’t behave. It is usual for overtaking to be allowed only on one side. Which it is can vary from track to track. Similarly, because it is categorically not a race, overtaking is not normally allowed in the braking zones or in the corners. There might be designated straights for passing.

If there is a professional there offering tuition or just to come out on track with you for a few minutes because it is your first experience, take advantage of the opportunity.

I like the idea suggested above of doing a couple of laps and then coming in to gather your wits and check the car.

Don’t set about going for the lap record. Focus on line, where to brake, where the circuit goes (not always as obvious as it sounds). Aim for consistency, and build up the speed gradually. Don’t worry about people going much faster than you. It takes time.

I’d be surprised if you need to worry much about tyre pressures on your first track day - I’d just make sure you have the normal recommended pressures in.

It shouldn’t be scary, but how enjoyable it is might depend on how many cars are there, how well run it is and what sort of track day it is. I much prefer being on track in smaller groups rather than the “open pit lane” carry on. For me it is about the freedom to drive my car at speeds that would be illegal on the road, and learn a little about track technique, I don’t mind leaning on the tyres a bit now I have got used to it but I will never be superquick because I don’t like very heavy braking. It’s quite satisfying to develop a smooth and reasonably fast technique. The main thing is to stay safe and enjoy it which you should be able to do.

Don’t feel pressured into going any faster than you are absolutely happy with.

6 Likes

In an MX-5, there will be lots of people going faster than you :rofl:

1 Like

If its an open lane setup dont get in for the first 15 minutes.
Take it easy and gradually build up speed.
Its not a race, don’t take risks
Avoid going near Clio’s, fiestas and anything that has go faster stripes.
You will be slow probably the slowest on track and thats ok. You will learn how to manage the available power of the thing. Just be aware of people in faster cars coming past you - indicate right and show that you have seen them. Dont make sudden moves while you are being lapped.

Weather isn’t hot so tyres be ok,
You will use at least half of your brakepads if its stock. If they are worn change them if you have spare brakepads and can change them yourself bring tools and a jack with you

Thanks everyone, some good advice in there. I think my biggest fear is being a nuisance to much faster/better drivers and getting a bit of red mist and pushing too hard. I’m going to try and keep my cool and treat it all as a learning experience…

Start slow and build speed up gradually.

Watch mirrors for cars catching you and get out of the way.

Let tyres back down to 28psi at the end of every second session.

Add better front pads and brake fluid. At your second track day add braided brake lines and better rear pads.

There’s a little device that makes your seatbelt lock into position. Worth having.

Enjoy! Ask other MX5ists how they go so “fast”. You won’t be able to shut them up.

Started track days at Bedford with our NC BBR Super 200. Great circuit for beginners with plenty of run off.

1. Pay attention at the briefing. :grinning:
  2. If you’re not sure of something just ask.
  3. Take it easy. Book some time with an instructor.
  4. Stick to 20 mins sessions on track to give you (and the brakes/tyres) time to recover.
  5. Depending on your driving style and your pads, you’ll go through a front set very quickly (ask my son… he would finish a set of EBC Yellowstuff off in a day)!
  6. Keep an eye on your gear. My helmet was nicked at Bedford.

Good luck. You’ll enjoy it immensely and end up hooked.

• Bedford is an amazing track, but it’s LONG, so take your time to memorize the turns. For me it took ~10-15 “easy” laps to get used to it. Youtube POV videos help;

• Do a check list on paper or phone notes for every time you get back from the track so you don’t get too nervous or afraid you forgot to check something;

• Go easy on gear changes: no need to do the fastest gear change, to wait until you rev limit to up a gear. By experience, for the first few laps you won’t need to go all the way down to 2nd on your MX5 (3rd is fine) at Bedford;

• At last, unless you sweat too much, I would start off without the gloves. If you really want them, fine. I don’t like it because I lose a bit of steering wheel and gearbox feeling, but that’s personal.

I was nervous as hell before my first track day ,in 1997 in a Seven. Within two corners, I was ecstatic . There’s lots of sensible advice already on the practical stuff , but here’s my take on the mental stuff -

• first and foremost , it is only driving , and you can do that already. It is a refinement of a familiar activity, not sky diving or nuclear physics

• it is not like driving fast on a road . At all. You don’t get that frisson of guilt you’re doing something illegal. Nor do you get traffic coming the other way, pedestrians , potholes or tractors. You know exactly where the road goes too. So you are liberated from most of the hazards of normal driving , and this frees up the mind to concentrate on the pure art of driving and it can both very absorbing and strangely relaxing . I love fast curves for this reason - it’s fingers and toes stuff , not arm wrestling the roundabouts on the ring road .

• your car will almost certainly corner faster than you first expected

• heel and toe if you can. Of course it’s kinder on the car, blah blah, but it just feels and sounds so damn good too.

And take a big bottle of water (not in the car , obvs ) as it is thirsty work

1 Like

That’s terrible! Thanks for the warning, will keep everything secured when I’m not around it as much as possible.

Thanks again everyone for the great info - and the reassurance. It’s a bit scary but I’m very much looking forward to it - it’s been my resolution this year (my 50th) after ages thinking about it to get on track before it’s too late (that’s why I bought the NC in the first place) so it’s good to finally be about to. Hope to do much more in the future.

1 Like

yeah but none of them will be having as much fun

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the advice and reassurance - the track day yesterday went really well, was a bit wet and slippy first thing but dried out nicely as the morning went on then the afternoon was fine. I had two stints with an instructor which really helped and found the other drivers to be on the whole really friendly and well mannered on track making it less scary than I had feared.
Did about 25 laps in total during the day with regular breaks to cool down the car and myself, the NC was faultless and loads of fun - the instructor even commented on how well setup it was so thanks to BBR for sorting it out for me :smile:
Have another visit to Bedford booked in about a month - looking forward to it!

2 Likes

What did BBR do for you in terms of handling? Or was it the engine setup he was referring to?

They did a whole package of work for me, there were engine/exhaust/brake mods but I think he was mainly talking about how the coilovers and geometry had been set up.

Given the number of cars he gets in on track, that opinion has to carry some weight. Their suspension setup is to handle the extra power I would guess so I’ll track my stock engine and suspension on a wide open track first before I start meddling.

I just described what I wanted to use the car for (75% fast road, 25% track) and they set it up as they thought best. I’m no suspension expert but I imagine that would apply regardless of power - it’s running the YSR coilovers fwiw
It definitely felt really stable and especially in the wet conditions at the start of the day the nice and predictable behaviour on loss of grip was appreciated.

When are you going back? I’m tempted to book the 7th of November which would be my first actual track day, so I’ve been following this thread with interest!

I’ve done Car Limits before (first in my 200sx and then later my NA) and a Palmersport day so hopefully won’t be too much of a leap into a track day.

1 Like