Anyone considering a GR86?

As the title really. I have ordered one but hope to keep the MX5 too.

Anyone else looking at them? Or am I going to to get told to wash my mouth out :rofl:

Twins separated at birth?

1 Like

Oh dear…I’ve a feeling I know where my dosh would go.
:zipper_mouth_face:

Heavy drinker though…but who really cares?

The entire Toyota UK allocation was snapped up in 90minutes!
I’m on the reserve waiting list…

1 Like

Looked at them but was never going to change personally… MX-5 looks so much better IMO.
The wheels on the GR86 looks way too small…!

Rob

Just seen this. Bit ambiguous though, could mean available from cancellations or available from another batch next year??

They did a similar message last June for the GR Yaris when it became sold out, and that never became available again.

but who knows…

They hyped the launch to death, got the car on YouTube early for reviews, so they did a good job and sold out.

Let’s face it a lot will go to YouTubers and collectors, so the real enthusiasts have lost out again.

I’ve not been able to find a figure for the allocation, 100, 1000, 5000 who knows?

It’s put me off it a bit tbh, also the prices used will be inflated.

Unless you need the back seats the MX-5 is just as good.

And there lies the appeal for me, not the actual back seats but the fact that the GT86 had so much more interior room than the stupidly cramped ND MX5. Plus the seats were so much more comfy than ND hammocks :roll_eyes:

Yes good point, the ND are not great on a long journey.

Ironically they can’t sell the Supra for love nor money, it’s on 0% finance with Toyota ATM.

I know it’s BMW mechanicals, but is it really bad?

No I think it’s a great car, but even the 2.0 starts at £47,000 which is £20,000 more than a 2.0 MX5, so I suspect it appeals to a vastly smaller group of buyers, add the fact there’s no Manual and you half the potential market again :frowning:

1 Like

I think they have offered a manual now, don’t know the price of that.

I don’t think the Supra is that nice a design, can’t put my finger on it but it looks a bit jarring to me.

2 Likes

I drove the previous GR86 and I was very positively impressed. The dynamics, chassis, ergonomics (especially for taller drivers) were all spot on. Plus it’s a Toyota so reliability and running costs should be good. Now with the torque dip sorted, it should be even better. Really, it’s a shame that there is no convertible option.
So yeah…very good choice.

1 Like

I dont mind the look but prefer the old one the new one looks a bit soft especially the front

I know its more Subaru BRZ and that its biggest problem as the flat four is a week engine power and reliability wise
especially the early ones
I would hope by now that they have got the problems sorted but doubt it
If it had been more Toyota and used a Toyota lump the car would have been a lot better in my opinion
I nearly bought one about 4 years ago but the engine power was a massive hurdle i couldnt get over
i still drive a few now as customers cars but its not changed my mind .

The Supra has the looks only a mother could love
i have now idea what they were doing when they designed it
We all like different thinks thou so i guess there are some that like it .

The have definitely addressed the torque dip which they even acknowledge now, increased the engine size/power too. I also believe that Toyota will keep extending the warranty if you have it serviced by them for up to 10 years which is a big selling point for me.

The power increase would be welcome
Being tied into Toyota main dealer service to extend the warranty on the engine not so much
From my experience Main dealer workmanship in general is pretty shoddy unless there trying to sell tyres or discs and pads as they love to easy stuff .

The same with any main dealer - I have a healthy mistrust of all of them :laughing: Question everything they say/do. Might be a reasonable price to pay to get 10 years of piece of mind for big stuff going wrong though.

1 Like

If you have the money, is a great car for sure.
Better for long trip and more powerful.

I had a GT86 before the ND. My essential reason to switch was to enjoy again open top motoring (I had an Elise for 10 years before that).

The GT86 had an amazing steering compared to the ND. Mazda EPAS is cr*p.
The GT86 allowed to switch off all electronic aids (except ABS) via the undocumented ‘pedal dance’.
On track was absolutely exceptional fun. The torque dip was annoying but bearable.
The ND2 engine is much nicer.
GT86 is thirstier.
GT86 cabin more spacious, fab driving position. My GT86 was lacking audio controls on the steering wheel, carplay, blind spot monitoring, adaptive headlights.
I would love to test the GR86 - but won’t get rid of my MX5 as it provides me with all the fun on the road I can ask for.

Had an update on my order, just letting me know it’s being processed. Some progress at least after a month of radio silence. Some very good reviews coming out now in the UK press too. Should be going to see one in the flesh this weekend hopefully at a Toyota meet. Anyway I’ll shut up now as this is a MX5 forum.

1 Like