Are you aged between 35 and 53, do you name your car?

A recent DVLA survey has revealed that Disco Dave, Lady Patricia, the Beast, and ZZ Top are among the most unusual names that people have given their cars.

1 Like

Yes, and definitely no.

4 Likes

No and yes. Older than 53 but we do name our cars and in fact we have a Disco Dave. When we were looking for a Land Rover nearly every salesman and private seller that we spoke to was called Dave or David, so when we finally found a Discovery we liked Disco Dave it was. To be fair it soon became Disaster Dave when we realised some of the issues it had but they are all sorted and it’s back to Disco Dave. We have an F-Pace called Lucky because we were lucky to find the exact model and extras we wanted as an approved used car, although given all the issues we had with that, largely down to Dealer indifference, it was subsequently changed to lucky I didn’t drive it through the Dealer’s window and set fire to it. The MX5 is Crystal after its Crystal Blue colour and the Morris Traveller is Alfred. It was given that name by the lad who rebuilt him as it was his Grandad’s name and since Jayne wanted a boy we kept the name which I think they appreciated.

In the past we have had a Mondeo call Henry, an XJ40 called Oscar, a Golf estate called Rhona and a Freelander called Mandy, all named after their number plates, a Mercedes called Baron Bertie as the temporary German plates when we collected the car from Stuttgart was prefixed BB, an XK8 called Sir Lionel as he was every bit as posh as the Mercedes, and a white Golf estate called Snoopy because that was the only white air freshener I could find in Halfords.

1 Like

Generally not ourselves with the odd exception, we had a red VW Passat that was called ‘Joseph’ as it had various different paint touch ups over the years hence a ‘coat of many colours’

The only other one that stands out is below, a friend on seeing it said ‘What’s that, the Batmobile?’ and it stuck :smiley:

2 Likes

Not ourselves but a quick read of the first few lines of that report I found myself smiling.
One of the names, Betsy is used and has been used by one of our neighbours for years. They are on Betsy 4 now they probably change cars every 10 years.:grin:

1 Like

Oddly apt, come to think of it.

1 Like

I was given a diesel Citroen Xantia as a company car once. I gave that a name, but I won’t repeat it in polite company.

3 Likes

Only just and never.

1 Like

I have named my ND after its number plate. My Zoe is named ,predictably Zoe (or the Purple Peril!) and I am over 53. I have not named all the cars I’ve had. Just the ones I have really liked. The old - now sold. Audi Avante was called Big Blue - wonderful machine, not so much fun as the ND!

1 Like

Ours is called Fatso….I’ll let you work out what mk it is;-)

2 Likes

Aged 71 and with two named MX’s

2 Likes

No and no,but I know a lady who’s named her red mk1 Poppy

1 Like

40 and no, I’ve never named cars.

2 Likes

I have nicknamed a handful but perhaps not in the usual cutesy manner (also I’m not quite 35 yet):

• Skoda Fabia vRS, either “the furby” or more often “the tractor” because of the 1.9 TDI PD130 :tractor:
  • Mazda MX-5, known as “the idiot mobile” on the basis you have to be an idiot to have it as your only car, and an idiot to get in it with me driving :rofl: Oh and for the last week it’s been “Bin Bag Express” because the window regulator packed up.
  • Anything else got standard slang shortnames such as Fezza and 'Beefa
1 Like

45 here, tho il be 46 next month.

I generally call my car “The 5” or “The MX5”

also
@Dipstick where did you get those MX-5 owners club member number plates?
do the club sell them or did you get them made somewhere!

1 Like

Plates ordered from here: https://www.demonplates.com/

My cars are simply called the Mazda and the BMW but then I am 70

Over 53 I’m afraid, but mines called Alec, as the number plate ends in AEC, I had a Talbot Horizon many years ago and that was called a right FB

1 Like

Yes and, despite wanting to do so, never quite managed to find a name which stuck. None of the other cars in the fleet are named but those are daily floggers and don’t have any heart attachment.

1 Like

ex Motor Trade so I lost count of the various vehicles I drove, owned and borrowed, I found during in my years in the Trade women of a certain age had pet names for their machines, often loving, sometimes harsh, depending on what they’d had to spend to keep the yoke on the road ,Memories of one lady in her cossetted BL Mini , she was a clutch a month, she called it ‘’ Hopeless Harry ‘’ God help her… Mine never had names…

2 Likes