Are you aged between 35 and 53, do you name your car?

34 and mine is called Scarlet. At first I didn’t think much about doing it but was convinced to do it via youtube stuff and now its a bit of a struggle to call her anything but her name :joy: Don’t regret doing it now and don’t care is anyone thinks its daft. Can understand why but meh don’t care having too much fun to care

4 Likes

Well, I am well older than 53, 68 in fact, but yes, I call my MX CAVAX.

Just the car’s registration, minus the year letters.

Incredibly corny, but there you go :smirk:.

Best regards, Graham.

1 Like

No and no.

2 Likes

Yes and resounding yes. Every car I’ve had has had a name other than my TVR which I never settled on a name for. “Fat Harry” remains my favorite name (H plate mk1 in a wierd pale blue).

1 Like

Yes and most definitely No. Worst for naming cars was Hubnut on YouTube, he had that many names, his partner made each car individual named folders. Total farce

1 Like

Information like this is sifted by fraudsters to build up profiles on individuals. I never give out personal information such as DoB or even makes and colours of cars. Just think about the info you give to your bank to verify your identity.
Perhaps I’m paranoid but am I paranoid enough?

3 Likes

@Maccy Don’t forget - just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they are not out to get you, so be paranoid, stay safe.

3 Likes

I think there is only one car I’ve ever named.

When I was building it (which took a couple of years) my daughter, Lucy, then a toddler, used to bring her duvet and pillow and curl up and go to sleep in the passenger footwell. Sometimes I had to stop work to keep her safe. When I first drove the car out of the garage she burst into tears, saying that she didn’t think it was a real car. The car designer insisted that all “his” cars should have a name. It could only ever be “Little Lucy”.

She’s not so little now, that was twenty years ago.

3 Likes

Hi well I identify as a 73 year old Japanese lady and my car is called Orokamono and I wish you happiness

3 Likes

Hi Ian, I am 51 and have named my 2.0 sport venture Victor Tango. The reason is explained in this thread:

Great idea for a thread by the way

R

1 Like

Sorry, link above went straight to the end of the thread

Try this one

1 Like

Sweet story! Two questions: what is Little Lucy (car, not your daughter)? She looks like a whole lotta fun :grin: And, why two spares … different width front & rear?

1 Like

The car is a Liege, one of 60 made.

There are two spares because it’s designed for on and off road use. I change the rear tyres for “knobblies” when planning to go off road. The other two wheels are touring tread and put extra weight over the rear axle for more grip as it’s rear wheel drive. On that day I still had the touring tyres on because it’s still capable off tarmac on them and I was just exploring Derbyshire. I had stopped the car near Bamford to clear a fallen tree which was blocking the road (it is actually an old road!). I don’t think any other vehicles had been along there for a very long time.

1 Like

Slightly older but named my first Mx5 mk1 in 2003 when I bought it, it is a lovely blue and the first thing on the radio was moody blue by Elvis so she is called Moody, due to the mayors ridicules ulez law I have recently added a mk3 to the drive (they look great together) initially was called speedy boots as it seams much quicker but now goes by the name of Mrs Gonzalez…… lol

1 Like

No and yes …l

Not sure how age comes to be relevant?

“Umph” - Triumph 2000
Rover 2000 (unnamed)
Many company cars (unnamed but always looked-after)
“Treggy” - VW Touareg V6 TDI (One of the first in the UK)
“Uppy” - VW Up!
"Mazzy - MX-5 RF
“Lexi” - Lexus RC-F

I currently own the last two on the list. Both are fantastic cars to drive and own!

A new DVLA survey reveals that:

• 1 in 6 motorists surveyed name their car – and those aged 35 to 53 most likely to do so

Myself, I’ve never named a car, except with an angry four letter epithet: my only bad mistake buy of a one month out of warranty Triumph 2000, and then twenty five years later my dear departed Dad’s ancient Renault4.

However the female 75% of our family, each less than 35 at the time, tended to name our cars by colour if at all; Red Woody, Purple Bitsa (Maroon), the gold car (bronze), the yellow car (Colorado Beige), the red one (red tending to pink), the scabby blue one (flaking lacquer coat).

Thank you. Now it makes sense!

1 Like

Was it a British Leyland Triumph?

Mine was a Standard Triumph (1966), with the wedge-shaped “nose”.

Almost the last of the Mk1’s.

Supposedly 1968. You name it, it went wrong. I sold it to a mechanic who was impressed by it having nothing wrong with it! That was on a rare, lucky everything working day.

Quote from an earlier post of mine.
That was the first car I lost significant money on, lots of it in repairs, and thought myself lucky to be able to sell it on in 1970 for top book as an “immaculate” two year old car with about 15,000 troublesome miles after only three months (only one year Triumph warranty in those days and cowboy dealers).

Gearbox and intermittent overdrive could not take six cylinder torque, warped long head mostly because the two Stromberg carbs would not stay in balance, fuel-pumps, doors never shut properly, windows didn’t close properly, useless heater leaked, seats collapsed, wipers mostly didn’t, brakes sometimes did but often not, suspension broke springs, tracking, steering, in short a total pile of unmentionable, fortunately it didn’t have time to rust so looked OK.