Axe Wheels

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2013 Venture Ed.
  2. I’m based near: __Dunfermline
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Wheels

Hi all,
This might be a daft question to the experts out there but as I’ve never really looked at buying new wheels before, this is new territory.
Long-story short, I’ve been shopping around for wheels for a few weeks now and have really fallen for the look of these;

Price is reasonable and they’ve got the retro styling I want. My question is, has anyone had any experience of the Axe brand that can vouch (or not) for the quality of them?

Cheers in advance!

How much do they weigh ?

35 offset, should be ok as long as you use 205 tyres. Cheaper at Demon Tweaks

You’re right, I’ll have a shop around next month once I’m ready to buy. My understanding of the offset/fitment ruling is limited (I have dyscalculia so working out ratios gets confusing for me) but am I right in saying there’s a tolerance of between 30-40?

Can’t find an exact number anywhere but the manufacturer describes them as ‘lightweight’

I also looked at their site but could not find anything about weight !

1 Like

Aye, I’ve tried a few sites now. Maybe it’s a secret :shushing_face:

Might be because they are ‘heavy’ ???

2 Likes

Might well be

No such thing as a daft question, just daft replies.
Might be “reasons” why they are not vaunted amongst us but who knows.
I’d never heard of them till now.
That’s conjecture on my part and no more.
I’d have thought the “diamond cut” spoke edges might not be the best idea in terms of robustness for an every day vehicle either.
Big brands have had issues with peeling/chipping.

1 Like

Hadn’t even thought of that :thinking: I wonder if there’s a lacquer or some other product that would help protect…

I would also not like to keep them clean either !, all those small corners !.. Absolutely not trying to put you off :grinning:

3 Likes

Considering I was looking at wire wheels at one point…:woman_shrugging: To be fair, I don’t mind cleaning wheels. I just use the Autoglym foam on the ones I’ve got and it brings them up grand

1 Like

Getting splattered at the adjacent bus halt outside her house ain’t a recipe for happiness either…

1 Like

Discount wires. They are very heavy, and known to be wobbly problems at motorway speeds.
That much I do know…from an owner way back on his Mk1.

I’ve not heard of these wheels before, but I understand that there are a number of cheaply made and heavy aftermarket wheels around that have no approvals or safety testing for use anywhere, let alone on the some of the most badly maintained roads in Europe.(the uk)
I’m not saying axe wheels fall into this category, just to be careful when buying.
Iirc I’ve read that mx5’s are very sensitive to unsprung weight, so don’t spoil the handling by inadvertently putting an unnecessarily heavy wheel (plus tyre) on each corner.
I wish I’d weighed mine (rays) when I had them off the other day, they did feel light though.

3 Likes

If they don’t tell you where they are made then it’s probably China, a lot of cast wheels are made there, even original Mazda stuff but the OEM stuff “should” be getting checked for defects more often.

If you just poodle about they will probably be totally fine.
Personally I would not use them but then I am all about doing things how I deem to be correct, either a good brand or some used oem stuff for me.

There’s loads of brands, made in China and stuff like “Japan racing”, which are actually Chinese made rims (nothing to do with Japan) and they seem to do okay, they just try and hide the fact they are Chinese.

There’s no guarantee with any rims, you can buy them and you should get a years warranty with them, so if you like them they will be good for the year at least :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nah, they’re made in the UK so I don’t reckon they’re “cheap” in that sense, anyway

1 Like

Been doing some further research- they’re TUV approved and so do conform to European safety standards at least

1 Like

Great to here, that’s about as good as it gets, and they would suit your car nicely.

1 Like