Axe Wheels

Cheers for that. Have found them for a good price on Demon Tweaks so reckon this could be a go-er come payday :grin:

What is important here is if you like them. I personally have never heard of Axe Wheels and while they list that they started in London in 1990 I would strongly suspect wheels are manufactured elsewhere, particularly as their website does not give a contact address. However, the point being that they appear to be a reputable brand and that is what matters. My experience with the lower end of wheels has not been about the mechanical properties at all but that paint finish is poor and sometimes applied even without primer. The point of this, firstly they shouldn’t be like that and secondly even if they are, there will be nothing wrong mechanically with them. All the companies selling them, Wheel Base, Performance Alloys etc are also reputable companies and you will have no issue. Wheels are described as light when compared to a steel wheel of equivalent size. Light is all relative and not an absolute.

2 Likes

Thanks for the thought. I’ll probably look at getting a set of alloy gators, see if that adds any extra protection.
I found an entry on another forum where someone had bought a similar set by the same manufacturer and they weighed in at 7.7kg which I reckon is respectable

Hi Gallaibh!
Loved your taste in music.
When it comes to design I prefer stuff from the K.I.S.S. school, and “Art Deco” with its clean, simple, functional yet elegant lines and design is my favourite period, so when I see designs like these wheels descriptions like “busy”, “fussy”, “over-elaborate” spring to mind.
But I do like Deacon Blue, Annie Lennox, Simple Minds and K.T. Tunstall!
PS: Have you looked at the thread for Bola Wheels? I think they’d suit your NC better than the Axe ones. Just my opinion, it’s your car and your choice after all! Good luck!

1 Like

Haha, thanks pal. I love all sorts of music but oddly enough, I have Deacon Blue tickets for post-plague :rofl:
The Bola ones are nice, but not quite what I’m looking for. Appreciate your thoughts, though :grin:

1 Like

While they seem extremely enthusiastic about their product on the website it would have been nice to have a factory address. They also mention tuv accreditation for certain wheels in certain markets, again a bit vague.
Compression forged What does that mean? They are either forged or not forged.
et35 and 7.5j will mean a subtle stretch with a 205 tyre but possible arch contact if the optimum 215 section was fitted. Most aftermarket suggestions are et 45 for this reason.

1 Like

This is the great thing about this forum, I don’t really have the knowledge to have even thought of that. Thank you :blush:

Just because something is made in China it doesn’t mean it’s poor quality. Likewise because it’s made in Europe doesn’t mean it’s quality!

That wasn’t what I was saying. My point was that parts manufactured in China tend to be cheaper- I didn’t say anything about quality

The very vast majority of wheels are made in China and if you buy a reasonable number they will brand them anything you want. I have to say there are quite a number of the AXE wheels that look the same as a number of other brands. I get sent emails all the time full of the styles you can order.

1 Like

Well, I like them, reminiscent of these I fitted to my previous NC1. Funnily enough, from Wheelbase Alloys :+1: Had great customer service from them, pleased with them.

Barrie

3 Likes

That’s excellent to hear, thanks pal :blush: They look absolute beauts as well :heart_eyes:

They were 16” x 7”s, only because that’s what we’re on the car originally. These were 30mm offset so pushed out 25mm each side? On the current NC2, standard 17” with 25mm spacers, giving the same offset.

Lowered on Meister coilovers and no rubbing issues whatsoever. Red car was lowered 30mm on Eibach springs.

Now this one is slightly different, the BBS wheels were 15” x 9” with zero offset! Bit extreme and had plenty of body work to do but loved it! :smile:

Barrie

That’s a lot of info, thanks mate! Wheels look awesome too. There’s just something about a beautiful set of alloys that makes a car look “premium”. Thanks for sharing :grin:

1 Like

Hi, AXE wheel have been going for years, and what I would call a budget alloy. They look a lot for the price. if they have any polished lips or chrome it will come off after a short while. If it’s just a normal silver colour then they will be fine. They look great but it’s the good old saying of “you get what you pay for” Ive had a set of DARE alloys (similar price point ally) wish a polished lip on my old MK2 TT. They looked stunning for about 6 months but then you could see the road rash appearing under the chrome lip.

1 Like

Have you ever tried using gators? Am curious as to whether they’re just another gimmick or in they actually do provide some level of protection :thinking:

1 Like

Got them (or similar) in red on the silver car. RimRingz are the name, not glued on, they have a mechanical fixing, not the cheapest but it’s added protection. I’ve had DARE BBS copies and was advised to spray them with clear lacquer before fitting them? Again, another layer of protection. :+1:

Barrie

1 Like

No never used them. Sorry. Until this set I’ve curbed everyone else…my last A5 Cabriolet I put 20" black 5 spoke alloys on and curbed one in the first week. From then I always carried a Sharpie to touch up. Lol

1 Like

Thanks for that, sounds like maybe worth the investment

Lol, well it’s been good to hear from someone who knows of the brand :blush: To be fair, the alloys that came with the car are 7 year-old gunmetal and there’re no discernible marks on them so might be lucky. Probably not wise to kerb them so often though :rofl::rofl::rofl: