BBR upgrades

1. My model of MX-5 is: _2010_NC2
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

There are many threads on BBR I know, have read up, wondered how people are choosing which one.

As near as damn it the 185 Sport, 185 GT and the 200 are all the same price bracket, so with the 200 giving significant higher gains in power and torque why would you buy the lowered powered options?

Or is the 200 there signature package and it’s just great value? I’m treating myself to one of these later this year on a 2010 NC2.

Interested to see the replies as I’m the same position as you.

Same here ha ha!

If you read up on the packages the 200 provides new exhaust and inlet cam shafts which gives you the extra power. The 185 is predominantly all about exhaust mods. Both have the 4-1 manifold.
Both have remap and panel filters.
That’s my understanding anyway. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Might get slated for this but the BBR 185 kit seems excessively expensive.

£2100 for the 185 kit but says £1900 if you allow them to fit everything??

Skuzzle
ILM 4-1
Remap
£1200

That should see you around 180/185hp. you just have to fit the headers and intake yourself.

I was not sure if the 200 delivered its power in a Honda vtec kind of way, where it’s all up near the redline and not really usable for daily driving.

2 Likes

200 gives you cams but doesn’t include midpipe or backbox at that price.
Ideally a 185 kit + the cams would give a bit more. Someone on here must have that combo and be able to contribute.

High profile cams.
Pros and cons with everything when tuning.
A good compromise is the way to go in my opinion if for the road.
Yes I also thought very expensive in my opinion too.
Some will say not

1 Like

I’m not bothered about the price, I know what I’m getting with BBR, I’m happy to their price for their expertise and product quality.

I’m just unsure why the 200 is the same price as the lower powered options

Camshafts cost money.
But you get more power mostly at the higher Rev band.
Just depends whether you want to change your complete exhaust or not really.
As long as people are happy that’s all that matters. Have you also looked at Roddinsons Motor Sport?
Mine was done by Skuzzle before closing.

Ring them up and ask them, I agree it doesn’t make sense. You’re essentially getting a pair of cams thrown in for free on the DIY package.

I don’t want DIY, want them to fit it, and their fitting prices are only 100 quid more

The basic manifold and remap is the same as everyone else really, 1200 quid

I just need to get my head around why the Super 200 is the same price as the Super 180

You are getting MORE exhaust bits with the 185. :+1:

Lol I want the power Scotty not the exhausts!

Super 200.

• High flow BBR panel air filter
  • BBR stainless steel 4 into 1 exhaust manifold
  • BBR high performance intake and exhaust camshafts
  • BBR 3.5 inch diameter branded tailpipes with stainless steel clamps
  • BBR StarChip ECU remap and ProEcu hardware/software bundle
  • BBR badges for front wings and bootlid

Super 185.

• BBR stainless steel 4 into 1 exhaust manifold
  • BBR 2.5" stainless steel exhaust centre section with high flow metallic sports cat and centre silencer
  • BBR Super Sport stainless steel rear silencer with adjustable (fits all bodykit/bumper options) 3.5" BBR branded tailpipes
  • High flow BBR performance panel air filter in standard Mazda airbox
  • BBR StarChip ECU remap and ProEcu hardware/software bundle

Yep, and pretty much the same price but why go the 185 when you can have 15 more galloping horses for free?

As I said depends whether you want ALL the exhaust. Also whether you will just use it on the road, track or both. There was a very good right up on here before about upgrading the camshafts. As I said it’s generally all up in the high Rev band. Torque is just (if not more) important and the actual “Drivability” of the car.
I think it best you go there and see if you can drive both and come to a decision.
That’s what I would do anyway. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Can’t, I’m in Devon , when I go I’ll have to wait all day.

I won’t be tracking the car so the GT 185 looks up my street but still can’t get my head around the fact the bigger package is the same price

1 Like

Hmmm it’s quite obvious to me as posted above. Instead of camshafts for the 185 you get a mid pipe, sports cat and a rear box. Which obviously costs the same as two camshafts. Make sense. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Yes it makes sense but why buy it when you can have the extra power for same price with the 200 package? I may be looking for a simple answer that doesn’t exist

Not sure how I can explain it anymore.
Do some research into high profile camshafts would be my advice and speak to “various” engine tuners for different opinions and which would be best for “you”.
But, whichever package you choose enjoy. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes