BBR upgrades

I run on premium also, I’ll check them out cheers

Craig of Ozmo quoted £125 for carbon clean, Custom tune, clean and Dyno £400. May be different for older cars.

That’s decent enough, what is a carbon clean?

Decided to go and get a local remap and see how I get on, I live in rural Devon and travelling a long way to spend a lot of money will make sense if a stock remap doesn’t do it for me. There are few near me, Tuning Labs and Ozmo, anyway thanks for those that replied

A carbon clean is a thing that direct injection engines need now and again especially if they’re not thrashed. The crankcase is vented into the intake, so any oil that escapes gets burnt by the engine. The only problem is that because fuel is injected directly into the cylinder rather than the intake you get half burnt oil building up as carbon on the back of the intake valve. So it needs an occasional hose down :slight_smile:

Mk3 and before do not suffer from this as the fuel washes the back of the intake valve because they are port injected. I’ve no idea if the mk4 is direct injection, a lot of modern stuff is though

1 Like

Chasing more power is a disease, just when you thought you had enough you will want more. Ive been there & done it for years.
Don’t waste 2-3k on bits & pieces upgrades. You need at least 260bhp to feel a proper difference.
Best upgrade I ever had was the Corten Miller Supercharger, why I ever sold that car will haunt me for years!
You will need an NC though.

I’ve done it with an Impreza, smaller lighter cars are slightly different, I’d love forced induction but bit spending 5k

Some more torque, lower down and a few more horses will do me

I guess its what you want the power for. I’m not looking for speed (that’s limited on the roads anyway), but for more acceleration at the low revs ~ 3,000 rpm when one is cruising at 70mph. So that’s why I was thinking of of the BBR185 package. I don’t want more noise that comes with back box mods, and I am wary about changing cams as I am sure Mazda engineers would have optimised engine performance and life, and very often one tweaks one area to find problems with another area later. Any thoughts ?

1 Like

I’m the same I’m all truth

I think my own experience may help so here goes

Bought ex demo NC3 Sport PRHT in 2014 and asked supplying dealer to fit Mazda sports back box do I could at least hear the engine and then simply had a travelling-man-in-a-van who had re-mapped my sensible car, diesel Honda CRV, a few years earlier to do same thing to the new MX5. Good job, felt much better but no idea what was really happening so went to nearby rolling road and found I was getting 170±ish bhp so fair enough

Then got into ownership properly, read all about it and started proppa mods to suit me, essentially over next couple of years adding PiperCross air filter, Racing Beat 4:1 cat-less manifold (that’s the big power change) plus upgraded ARBs and MeisterR coil-overs while lowering all round with full chasis line-up

Then as other stuff started to appear from BBR I talked to them (Dave?) about cams and had a really impressive discussion about what sort of driving I do - much as others have said above, playing on local roads in 3 to 5,500 rev range. Dave’s advice, surprisingly honest, just make best use of what you’ve got as cams only work as you start screaming above 5k.

So as In based in north I went to Blink near Chester for their equivalent of BBR re-map to get everything singing properly and two hours later drove out with 184 bhp, four switch-selectable maps and big smile

Since then I’ve fallen in love with pictures of BBR ITB’s, what a glorious bit of engineering, and the prospect of even more glorious noise but (sadly) realise that would be expensive vanity. Although yesterday blew the cobwebs away on snowy, salty roads with three friends in various 911 beetles and quite honestly had a hilarious time keeping up with them explaining that

I should put my hood up too if I really wanted to get ahead

Great day out and brilliant fun at a fraction of their price/power range

5 Likes

Thanks great post

Re catted or none catted manifold, not sure why you’d remove the cat now, not when you consider it doesn’t save much money nor give significant power gains over the catted version

Because non cat version just looks and sound so good

Lol yeah, not sure about looks good not many people will see it but yes, I had a decatted Scoob and that did indeed sound good

I’m too old for that now and have to persuade my wife to get in the car

Buy her these. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thread update

Spoke to BBR, decided against a local guy mapping after fitting their manifold, see decided to sell a kidney for their 185 GT package

Will report back when it’s been done

1 Like

Now are you really really really sure. :wink::joy:

2 Likes

Think so :flushed:

1 Like

£1795 included vat and fitting at Rodders mind. :wink: :thinking: swings and roundabouts.
https://www.mx5-racing.co.uk/mx5-mk3-power-upgrade/

1 Like

Not really about money now, they gave great advice over the phone and convinced me to put the effort in to get to them