Before this novice drops £5k with a dealer, may I get your opinion please?

I had a NA 1991 SE that rotted away after 25 years, and I know little about cars, so I hope to get some advice from you.

I saw a NC 2007 with 59k miles yesterday and I really want it. 2 owners, the 2nd from 2009. The bodywork is in great condition, one tiny dent and a couple of minor scratches. Interior is very tidy, everything seems to work, engine oil is pale and high level, the Mazda tyre mobility kit is intact and never used. Tool kit, wheel lock nuts and adapter present. Two keys.

Service history isn’t great, about seven documents, most recent was about 800 miles ago. Tyres are worn so I got the price reduced by a little.

HPI is clear, never failed an MOT and only one previous advisory regarding brake pads.

I have a deposit on it, and I will take it to my trusted Mazda dealer for a full inspection and health check after purchase. Will get it cleaned up and undersealed and cavity waxed if necessary. I want a car I can keep for 5-10 years.

BUT! What are your thoughts on the underside? It looks filthy to me, but there doesn’t look to be any bad rust anywhere. I took these pics yesterday. What do you think please? Thank you so much in advance!

1 Like

I should have said it’s a 2.0 Icon with the Icon mats etc.

1 Like

In my opinion, that underside is in need of a good seeing-to to get the (apparent) surface krap off, and then around £400.00 worth of detailed anti rot applied.
Not enough photos to tell, but I’d be disappointed to see bad perforations.
But please…check thoroughly the bits the likes of MickAp dealt with. He’s a bit of a rottybotty Mk3 guru.
Also check out Mx5 Restorers YouTube Mk3 sessions.

And as far as dealers are concerned, try 10% off for cash.
“No” does not hurt the same as a boot in the nuts.
Alegedly

3 Likes

Based on the pics it’s dirty but doesn’t look too bad. The boot lid bubbling around the number plate lights is common and easily sorted. You can see the felt wheel arch liners in one picture. Well worth gently fiting them away (don’t tear out the mounting studs) and having a good firm push with your thumb or a blunt tool at the bottom forward edge of the arch. This is where the sills fail due to corrosion on NC’s due to water ingress into the hollow sill channel. I don’t think these liners help tbh as they hold moisture and dirt against the metal. Assuming it’s all solid the engine is good and it drives well it looks ok as far as I can tell. My first Job if I was buying it would be a professional clean off and under seal.

2 Likes

Looks fine, flash £4.5K in cash at the guy and drive away.

3 Likes

Thank you both very much! Really helpful. I did feel and rub around under the sills and arches, nothing on my fingers and sounded solid when knocked (not a scientific test of course!). It’s too far away to go back unfortunately. It seems to drive well, no smoke of any colour from the exhaust started from cold.

I will be getting it health checked, cleaned and undersealed at the Mazda dealer I used for my NA.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Are you sure a Mazda dealer would underseal it well for the cost?

That wants wheels off arch liners out pressure wash the whole underside, then allow to dry , treat any bad rust, then underseal.

Like Rust buster do in Spalding Lincs.

Where are you based?

1 Like

I’m not sure tbh. I use MKG3000 in Twickenham, they have always seemed good, reliable, and have MX5 fanatics in the workshop. I used to use Dandycars until they folded, not really convinced they were all they seemed in some respects.

2 Likes

Looks well to me, front strut brace is missing though. Doubt it makes any difference but worth a bit more £ for you I’d say :+1:t2:

1 Like

only sport ( or above )have strut brace , this is “icon” …:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

From the pictures I would say its perfectly normal, in fact for a 2007 its good. My 2007 was terrible!!

1 Like

Ok, thank you all very much for your help! I have bought it, arrives next week :slight_smile: Delighted!

I’ll be replacing the tyres, getting a health check, the underneath cleaned up and undersealed.

Thanks again!

8 Likes

That looks decent imo.

1 Like

Well I never knew that! So the other models had the bracing plates fitted but not the actual braces?

Bracing bars are fitted to my non Sport 2l Miyako 2011 so other models other than Sport may have bracing bars fitted.

Roy

Booked in with The MX5 Restorer for Underseal and full service. Needs new tyres too but will get that done with Black Circles I think.

1 Like

Paid £4500 for my 2007 with similar mileage in November 2019 so bearing in mind that prices seem to have risen somewhat, that doesn’t seem too bad.

Mine IS fully Waxoyled though, so that swung it for me.

Thanks, Jemster, they seem to be silly prices for NAs and NBs too, at the moment. The dealer gave me £500 off because the tyres are worn and it needs the underseal. So I’m happy enough.

Happy with yours? Any issues?

1 Like

I absolutely love it - had a broken spring at MOT time so I upgraded to sport suspension with Bilsteins and -30mm Eibachs and that’s transformed the handling, but other than that it’s as I bought it.

I had a 1.8 NB previously which I “Iconised” with leather and wood and that was a great car, but much more tiring to drive than the NC. I never actually liked the NC shape that much, but it’s grown on me and the engine’s a peach.

• I was lucky enough to get a hard top for £510 which I’ve had vinyl/carbon wrapped and that makes it lovely and cosy in winter AND tightens up the handling a bit as well.