Bettabuilda's AHURA MAZDA

Hi Dave, your on about your royalties Ive got these to contend with, people asking what make of cap, what diet  plan do I follow,picture signing sessions,was the car trailerd, what a great day was had even our Marj enjoyed it, see you and Baz soon, Rob.

So, a couple of things happened today  First off, I drove my car round to the wrapping company’s premises that sorted the 1800 GT. Ive mentioned before about I’m not over happy with the paint as it is. No rust, no dents but loads of chips.  Anyway,they had a look, I chose virtually the same aluminium metallic colour as OEM, a graphite metallic for mirrors, door handles, roof and windscreen surround  Back into the office and it’s going to be £1700!  I’ve parked that idea for a moment.

Secondly, I’ve been emailing Seat Surgeons regarding the interior. They do a full interior package which includes instrument hood, door bolsters, armrests, door cards, roll hoops plus the usual seats, gaiters  etc. Plus a logo if required. A whopping £5000 + VAT!  They use Nappa leather for this option.

That idea is also parked up too! 

I have however, ordered new dial faces from revlimiter in USA, also ordered a new wheel from Royal Steering Wheels so things are still at least, moving along, albeit a tad slowly  I really would like my car to be in the OC competitions at the rallies but will have to think really hard what to do. The car is solid, no rust anywhere on the bodywork, I’ve treated the underside with Bilt Hamber products, as said, no dents, mechanically very very good, newly refurbed wheels, brand new set of tyres, etc. As a day to day car it certainly looks OK but as it stands it’s not a show car. Which, if I’m honest, is what I would like to have. I’m off to see a paint guy tomorrow to see what he can d and might just go for the standard seat surgeon package? 

Barrie

1 Like

As the OC competitions do not have a co-ordinator in place I would be parking that idea too.

Hi Ian, yes, the car park is getting full! 

Actually, I did get a bit of a result yesterday. A company called Paint Tech, very local to me, have got the job of a full respray on my car  

https://m.facebook.com/painttechmorley/

If you scroll down the link I provided, they have a beautiful classic mini they did, amazing car!

Main body panels are going to be refinished in the OEM aluminium metallic as it is now, with roof, fog surrounds, windscreen surround, mirrors and door handles in a graphite colour to match the wheels. Bumpers off job with grille and fog surrounds out too. A good week required for this so its booked in for end of July when we are away on hols. TBH, they couldn’t book me in much earlier as they are that busy, nice, well organised premises with a nice spray booth. Looking forward to this as the paint has been niggling me to get it sorted. Just need the interior refinishing now. Got my eye on the quilted floor mats/PRHT headlining/boot floor liner from carbon miata. That colour choice and style will determine the seat colour and style. New dial gauges are in transit and wheel (exchange) is end of this month for delivery 

Barrie

1 Like

So, for the Benefit of all those folk that said it wouldn’t take long to get modifying again, well, it hasn’t 

So far;

• Done, OEM wheels refurbished in graphite colour, complete with new set of tyres and flush valves, centre caps in black
  • Done, Pioneer single din unit with new fascia, Bose harness etc
  • Done, Halo DRL's with front fogs
  • Done, Variable intermittent wiper stalk
  • Done, Engine oil and filter, gearbox and diff oils changed
  • Done, underside Bilt Hamber rust treated and undersealed
  • Done, paintless dent removal
  • Done, Brakes checked over, calipers and discs painted
  • Done, Silvatec indicator bulbs, front, back and sides
  • Ordered, RSW retrimmed wheel, thumb grips, flat bottom, thicker in perforated sides and smooth top/bottom, black with red stitch
  • Ordered, Carbonmiata deluxe floor liners/mats quilted black with red stitch
  • Ordered, Carbonmiata quilted black with red stitch boot liner
  • Booked, Full respray, OEM Aluminium metallic with graphite roof/windscreen & fog surrounds/door handles
  • Booked, Seat surgeons for interior in black, perforated quilted panels all in red stitch with hopefully, a new logo on headrests. More on the logo, later
  • Pondering, Zunsport full front grille with offset rectangular reg plate. Not ordered yet as not sure if black or polished?
The paint job is probably the last bit to get done, hopefully other bits will arrive and get fitted prior to this. 

Ill be glad when it’s done, can get it up for sale then 

Barrie

Just a pic of one of the wheels with the calipers and disc tidied up.

1 Like

Looking great, what Bilt Hamber and underseal do you recommend Barrie as must get under and do mine.

I have been offered by my mate who owns a garage and does my mechanical stuff but at his house the use of an hydraulic lift so i can scramble underneath ok.

There’s loads of stuff out there but I decided to give this a go

So, hydrate 80 first, after getting rid of any loose rust etc. Turns a very dark, blue/black colour when cured. Then dynax  S-50 as the underseal. My car had the usual surface rust in loads of areas under the car, bought a set of wire brushes in various shapes for the cordless drill, these have been great, cheap ones from Amazon. Opie Oils for the Bilt Hamber, 2 cans of each, delivered was just over £60. Great service from them. The dynax comes with a tube which is used to get into cavities etc. I just took the plunge but very pleased with the results so far  It’s quite economical too, still on the fist cans of each!

Barrie

Barrie I know you won’t take this the wrong way but I have to ask… Would you not be better off buying a low mileage car in mint condition ???

I admire the way you take things on and the speed at which you progress But errrrr. Wel erm… A high miles car will always be just that.

Put another way…A mate decided to do a Motorhome conversion. He chose a great big VW van which was high miles and spent a kings randsome on it… Then decided it wasn’t for him but could not shift it cos of its high miles. As a standard van his money was safe but investing the huge amount he did was Well a loss.

I’ve asked before about the Royal Steering wheels. Did you remove yours and send it away ? If so how long is the turnaround ? Do they do an exchange basis ? It’s one thing I really would like to get sorted as the standard wheel is desperately uninspiring. ???

Hi Charlie, no offence taken sir!  My thoughts are, if I bought the lower milage car (at a higher price) I would still want to modify it so would not get my money back there either? I really enjoy doing this sort of thing and realise it’s never going to make me rich?   I don’t know many folk that make a profit on a car, I had a good 3 years out of the other one, right up to the point of sale. I got £1k more than I paid when I bought it, there was just the little matter of the many £££££££’s I spent modding it 

Anyway, you’re only here once and you definitely can’t take it with you 

Steering wheel, last time I was a bit nervy about swapping it myself so paid the £15 for fitting at Jack’s (RSW) place, although it cost me a tank of fuel too .

This time round I’ve gone for the exchange option so £9.99 each way postage with a £100 refundable deposit on the wheel. Way cheaper than going to the shop to have them swap. Cars also not off the road but that’s not generally an issue for me. 2 week turnaround with payment in full up front this time, fair enough but last time only a £50 deposit was taken, balance on fitting. Perhaps he’s been messed around a bit.

Barrie

1 Like

Thanks for the info Barrie…

I understand your way of doing it… Ive always been a low miles buyer but I completely understand ???

I do enjoy reading your threads and take much inspiration and info from them. I look forward to seeing your new wheel and hope a few tips on removal and installation though I can always resort to figment at our garage. That said I’ve done everything to my car myself so far …

Good on yer fella .

Barrie, only 16 mods so far, matey, your slowing up in your old age. Really need to pull your finger out… . Being serious it’s sounding like it’s coming together nicely. Body shop looks decent too. Looking forward to seeing a few photos once it’s done.

I’d be looking at the black Zunsport if it was me too much bling going on with the chrome.

Wont ask how Leeds got on the other night…  Sad end to the season 

Charlie

you could always do what I did. Buy a cheap wheel off eBay. Got it sent direct to RSW. if and when I sell the car I’ve always got the old one (low miles) or the RSW one to sell on here.

Morning Mark, I think Leeds really blew it when it was in our grasp  Casilla the goalie made some schoolboy errors in the semi’s and Cooper, our captain, also. Oh well, it was only worth £170,000,000 to us Good luck to either of the protagonists in the final 

Back to cars, I think you’re right about the grille in black, mine has the chrome trim surround (separate piece) at the moment which is well past its sell by date so might either replace it with the black version or paint it black to match the new grille. Your car was the inspiration for the quilted boot liner and floor mats, having seen yours at Ragley, was very impressed  No chrome parts this time around (he says) 

Barrie

EDIT: I’ll be taking the bumper off myself to replace all the bumper/wing/undertray bolts prior to paint anyway, so will have a look at the grille and surround at that time. Be easier for paint shop too! 

1 Like

remember these baz ???

Hiya Geoff, I do indeed, pre NC modding days for me  although there was quite a bit of chrome “embellishments” even then 

Happy days and so much cheaper too  

Man maths though, has convinced me and justified that what im currently doing (and did on the previous iteration) is the way to go?  I can put a spin on anything  

Barrie

1 Like

Morning all 

i have been considering a ‘name’ for this car for a while now. The last car, 1800 GT, just seemed to work and I was very happy with that. GT number plate, GT logos in headrests, GT wing badges etc, pulling it all together. Trying to think of something different this time around so I’ve come up with this.

AHURA

What? Let me explain. Have a read here;

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/mazda-stories/mazda/behind/

My new seats will be recovered by Seat Surgeons in black with red stitch. The AHURA MAZDA symbol will be embroidered into the headrests in red stitch also. I’m working on badges using the same symbol but not got there yet.

Heres a pic of the symbol.

Barrie

you must put hours of thought into all this modding n tinkering barrie  .      i cant wait til i can retire 

1 Like

Thanks Geoff, TBH, it’s the best ‘job’ I’ve ever had  

Heres an alternative image, might look OK as a front bumper replacement badge for the OEM Mazda one?

Barrie

[quote=Bettabuilda]

Thanks Geoff, TBH, it’s the best ‘job’ I’ve ever had  

Heres an alternative image, might look OK as a front bumper replacement badge for the OEM Mazda one?

Barrie

i prefer this image  ( dont know what it is , but  )

i like the bumber badge idea too .

what ya thinking ? 3D printing ?

It’s the same thing only different Geoff 

Ahura Mazda = AM intertwined.

Might keep folk guessing a bit 

Good call on the 3D printing. I’m still looking round but thought a resin domed badge if I can get someone to make it at a reasonable price? Open to suggestions though. I’ve got the image which is the main thing. Seat surgeons have worked off the jpeg I sent them of the first logo and said there wasn’t an issue for the embroidery. Might give the guy you told me about, a call, see if he can do something?

Barrie

1 Like