Bilstein shocks?

I’m still learning about the different options on the NC, and have seen Bilstein shocks mentioned quite often (on the 2.0 Sport Tech).

Can someone enlighten me as to the benefits of these?

TVM

I think they are seen to be an upgrade on the 2.0L Sport or later Sport Tech and I can’t comment a great deal on how good or bad the standard dampers are when driving in a sporting fashion. I did test drive a few stock cars before getting my Sport Tech with Billies and found the standard car was way to soft and a little unsettled with some strange diving under braking with some lift off oversteer happening at the front. Some are happy with the Bilsteins ride and performance on the Sport but if you are more performance focused you will probably find the standard Sport suspension with Bilsteins fitted is still too soft and allows too much body roll. Like I say if your ok with the soft setup and higher ride height that’s fine but if not an intermediate step is lowering springs which improves things somewhat. Then there’s coilovers which is the best but most expensive solution but really sorts the car out properly.
Basically I wouldn’t get too bogged down trying to find a car with Bilsteins if you have found a nice tidy example with standard dampers as they are not that much cop and you may well end up changing them.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Jimbo. Ideally I’d like a 2.0 Sport Tech, so these would be fitted, and to be honest I’m not into lowering etc, just a fun ride! :sunglasses:

I really like the suspension set up on my 2014 Sport Tech, for a ‘mature’ person it’s just about right, wouldn’t want it any firmer. It sits very flat when cornering and handles bumps well.
I suppose you need to try before you buy and get what suits you.

2 Likes

The NC2 after 2009 has revised suspension geometry and sits lower by design then the older NC’s. It is better with less roll and better handling out of the box but its still too soft for many people.
Having said that compared to most cars these days the stock NC is still way more enjoyable to drive :+1:

2 Likes

I find my 2.0 litre 08 NC Sport more than adequate in the corners, so presumably is on Bilsteins. As far as I know it is standard. I no longer race, but drive in my dotage purely for the thrill of having the wind in my hair, erm, well, around my head anyway. Clearly not the hairdresser’s car some think it is.

It can often be amusing when doing 60mph on a country road, a boy racer tears up behind me on a straight stretch, and I do not lift off for a tight corner. The car corners beautifully and boy racer has to play catch up on the next straight bit of road… until the next corner… and all without me breaking a speed limit.

I have lost count of the number of times the driver behind has almost left the road, or become all crossed up, trying to match the 5 mid corner.

I find it hard to imagine how much better the car could possibly be with alternative shocks or springs?

2 Likes

It doesn’t sit lower, that’s a bit of a myth.

I agree completely!
That’s not to say the stock suspension is bad but I feel body roll is still not well contained on the NC2 with stock suspension and the car can still feel bouncy and a little bit unsettled to me.

I changed my tyres initially to a premium road tyre (Michelin PS4) and grip levels were improved significantly but almost too much for the suspension which was struggling a bit in fast tight corners and the body roll was more noticeable. I know some body roll is desirable but too much feels uncomfortable when driving quickly especially with fast direction changes. For me the coilovers and a good alignment made such a huge difference. The car feels so planted and tight now and gives me huge confidence when attacking the twisty roads the turn in is so sharp, yes the ride is firmer but not horribly so.

2 Likes

As above posts.
Standard suspension for me too.
Bilsteins on my Sport Tech. To be honest any lower, (in particular 2 up and a boot full on holiday) and it would be a pain re speed humps etc.
We find it comfortable and not harsh.
Each to their own of course. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

3 Likes

Are you sure? Maybe it’s my eyes but older NC’s really have that 4x4 look going on whereas NC2’s onwards seem to sit on their wheels a bit better to me.

Best I could find on the web but the blue one is a stock NC1 and the red is to the best of my knowledge a stock NC2.

My NC2 looked like more like the red one on stock Bilsteins & springs and definitely wasn’t as high as the blue NC1.

Maybe it’s all an optical illusion??

This may help perhaps? :+1:

I fitted a set of very low mileage Bilsteins and springs from a 2012 Sport tech to my otherwise standard 1.8 NC1 and it dropped the front ride height by 10mm. Rear was unchanged. I also fitted RX8 bars at the same time but obviously doesn’t affect the ride height.

I have a std spec 2006 but with -30 eibachs and RX8 yellow bars front + rear. Roll is certainly reduced with the RX bars but is replaced by a definate reduction in compliance particularly when faced with a pot hole on the apex of a corner. This came as a bit of a surprise at first but I’m getting used to the feeling after a few 100 miles. I still have the original bars so a return to std would not be a problem other than the hassle of removing and replacing the front bar. Ride height is 355 ft 345 rr with a pretty full tank.

No matter which handbook you look in the ride heights are all quoted as the same. I once measured an early model and a late model, they were both the same height as per Mazdas measurements.
You can’t go by pics really as they’re all taken from different heights, distances and angles, you have to measure a known car on some level ground.
I’m as confounded as you as they do look different and I was surprised to find them the same when measured.

Mazda specs have a pretty big tolerance as well, for 16in is 356 - 405 ft 351 - 401 rr 17 in is 4-5mm lower.

That probably accounts for the difference we see from car to car. Quite a large difference 5cm I wonder why, you’d like to think the consistency of suspension components and their installation would not be that variable??

1 Like

It might explain why my NC is slightly higher in front…