Bought newer dipstick

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC 2.0
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: I bought the NC facelift dipstick from MX5parts and received it today. When changing with the old one, I inspected the level with the old one first, then did so with the new one. Did I do something wrong or does the facelift show lower levels with the same amount of oil in?

When I did this to my 07 plate it gave the same reading but easier to read, giving more confidence it was correct. I assume you mean from the wire type with line marks, to the metal blade with holes.

I did that, changed mine last year.
It seemed to me to read a lower level but put side by side the marks do actually match on each one.
The key is keep your oil up to the upper mark.

I also bought the newer dipstick last year. Although it’s sort of OK to read the old
dipstick yourself, after the garage that serviced my car way way overfilled the engine (got them to drain some off) I ordered the new dipstick. When it arrived I checked the level with the old stick, it was reading perhaps a couple of millimetres over. tried the level with the new one - bang on max mark. So my new one reads just a bit less, this I took to be a good thing.

That assumption is right :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks all. After thorough cleaning of the old one and putting it back in I had the idea the oil was around half way. But with the new dipstick it seems that the oil level is nearing minimum. Must be my fault then.

Purchase of the new dipstick is money well spent, could’ve saved you a lot bigger expense.

Seems you might be right! Will do a second inspection tomorrow. Might also explain why my previous 1.8 engine blew after a bit of driving while I had it checked by a local garage before buying, they might have misread it too.

1 Like

A little article on the special needs dipstick here: Novice: How to read a dipstick - duratecnc.co.uk MX5 NC dipstick

2 Likes

Thank you. I found your website yesterday. Maybe I have only inspected the level after oil was all over the place, as you described in point 3: “horizontally read off the level quickly before the oil runs all over the place.”

There is an explanation in there why your last car ran out of oil too.

1 Like

Simples, lay old and new next to each other and check they are the same length. Mine were :slight_smile:

1 Like

The newer flat blade type do have the holes set slightly higher than the lines on the older type.
Basically the upper hole (which is only about 1 - 2mm diameter) is formed to one side of the line of the other rather than being central. The lower hole is also a little higher.
It is however a rather pointless and pedantic topic because oil level is not a precise measurement. It can’t be, it will never be and it doesn’t have to be. E.G:

Which side of the hole do you aim for or spend two days getting it dead central?

Did you get a spirit level out and check the ground was perfectly level before checking your oil after leaving the car standing for the exact prescribed amount of time?
I would think not.
So the pedantic armchair forum expert would say well you did it wrong then.
The normal person would say if you did, then you need to see a doctor.

To sum up:
Yes it’s slightly interesting that Mazda raised the levels by approx 2 - 3mm.

Compare this info to the thread where someone is worrying he has a slight overfill, but hasn’t said by how much.

Slop some in and if it’s round about where it should be then smile. Drop the hood and go for a drive.
There are far more pressing matters to be concerned about.

Have a good day :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes