Brake Caliper Guide pin positions

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk 3 NC 2.0L
  2. I’m based near: Loughborough
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Brake Caliper Guide Pins

I am in process of giving my brakes a once over. Fronts are done.
My rears have been stripped ( as far as poss ), cleaned, inspected and given a lick of paint.

I notice that the all metal guide pins on mine are interchangeable, however one has flats machined in it the other one is just round.

If I was to take a pure guess I would say that the machined one goes at the bottom and the plain one goes at the top.
The Haynes manual and also my copy of the official Mazda Workshop manual don’t seem to be very specific in this regard. ( that I could see :sunglasses: )

I could have taken a note of which way there were fitted previously, but who is to say the fitter before me did it correctly.

Anybody got an idea… please

Hi there,

Maybe give MX5 parts a call, they list the 2 different pins, but the picture is the same

This came up a while back, but there doesn’t seem to be an answer

Sorry can’t be of more help

This picture of the lower pin from a stateside supplier suggests round pin is lower. But it could of course be a generic shot.

When I overhauled my brakes last year I’m fairly certain that the pin with the flat on it goes to the bottom, my old memory seems to recollect. Hope this helps.