Buying Turbo MX5 vs Building/BBR

My heart is set on a MK3 2.0 Turbo.

One option is to turbo my own MX5 but it’s a NC1 and I heard the engines are somewhat weak when it comes to boost,. Also it has some paint imperfections, basically the car is good just not perfect but its lowish mileage at 51k and has fsh. . .no a pig by any means.

Other option is to buy an NC2 but with the prices of them and then paying an additional £6k to bbr to turbo it, starts to get quite a lot.

Wait for a already turbo mx5 car to pop up.

The pros and cons seem to be time and money. At least I know my own car and it’s faults but spending 6k on a car that right now in the current market is maybe worth 6k seems a bit silly but it will be somewhat unique.

What would you do given the 3 options?

135i and 370z are the other options but who has a mx5 turbo and who would expect a little mazda to actually be quick, I like the idea of the sleeper.

Having watched it just get dark and sitting at my keyboard reading you thread.

I wouldn’t discount a forth option?
Turbo conversions are very nice, but “can” have issues with reliability, fuel consumption, etc etc.
Then you have to decide, stage 1 or 2, fit yourself or garage.
Will you want more and indeed justifying the expense.
Waiting for one to pop up…has it been tracked, well used, cared for who knows.
Not to mention perhaps speeding tickets!
Ideal for the track perhaps…

Other standard cars perhaps with more performance for the same or similar money. :man_shrugging:

I have a fond interest in keeping to the normally aspirated route and which the NC 2.0 engine seems very robust if well serviced and cared for.

Keep your car and why not consider the ITB route, different cams, exhaust, full proper remap, suspension for similar money.
Sounds wonderful too and as a nice “Sleeper” as you say.
If I could justify it (my heart says yes, but my head and wife says no) that would be my choice as a day to day MX5.
Whatever route you decide on enjoy, life is too short. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Unless you or someone you know can DIY it with or for you at mates rates, it doesnt make any financial sense.

Unless money is no object.

I’d advise buying an already fast car if an MX-5 is too slow.

Having owned a BBR stage 2 NC for a couple of years all i can say is what a fantastic set up it is.
Mine is mainly for track days to be honest and as a daily driver it may be too hard for our ■■■■ roads.
However on track it is a real machine and will keep up with most things on the track.
I am seriously thinking of taking it it to stage 3 , but even as it is now it can be scarey…!

Oh and it has done 15k miles since the turbo kit was installed and still pulls like a train.
Im at Oulton Park next week with it if you need a passenger lap or 2 to make your mind up.

2 Likes

Revisit the S2000 idea?

I’ve been googling the Rocketeer V6 Mk1 recently. The internet is wonderful but a threat to bank balances… :smirk:

1 Like

2.5 Conversion

4 Likes

I have an NC1 and I have decided to DIY Turbo it for the following reasons:

1. I know the car is solid and already has the main upgrades that a MK3 needs (suspension & brake pads).

2. It has done 128k so the engine is probably on borrowed time anyway.

3. I enjoy getting hands dirty and tinkering with the car, having done this kind of thing many times before (I am 45 and been playing with cars since I was 15).

4. It’s not my daily driver.

5. I really like the turbo boost sensation

6. I like the car and track mine a lot - now it’s handles and brakes amazingly I just need it faster.

Whilst BBR is the way to go if you have the cash…I don’t so DIY makes sense to me as I can buy the parts as I can afford them and then fit when I have them all (hopefully at Christmas)

2 Likes

Im in a similar position. Although my current car is a mk1 rs.
Ive been looking at bbr and the like .and i think id buy one already done. It sounds to me that youd not be happy with yours even it was converted.
I like the sounds of itbs . But think id gi turbo myself

2 Likes

I looked at BBR 225 but basically £2000 for 20hp increase. I already did 4-1 headers etc to get to 182hp and didn’t notice the hp gain much, more so the torque and that’s what I’m looking for, torque, just want it to be a bit more tail happy on command and have it so its a bit more rowdy, add some character to it. The top end is fine.

M135i
370Z
Megane 250
These are my other options but they are expected to be quick.

So it’s had 15,000 miles of track use without any issues?
That’s a nice offer but I am in Kent so not close, cheers anyway.

These older cars tend to be very poor on MPG, k20 stuff is 20-25mpg and then then a nice S2000 is probably £14,000 and they don’t really make much power until you hit the vtec, I’m after something with a bit more torque.

I did look at that idea but didn’t think it would be a huge jump compared to my 180hp 2.0, little bit more torque and similar hp is what I hear but there’s limited information that I have been able to find.

I just don’t have the space to do such a project, if I did then it would be the way.

Seems a lot more mk1 and mk2 with turbo conversions. Most of them seem to use a Chinese made td05 turbo which would put me off a bit. If I didn’t live right next to the ULEZ zone I would go and buy a nice mk1 or mk2 turbo.

2 Likes

I thought about the BBR Turbo kit but ended up buying a very cheap 2006 Boxster for the same money. Granted Ive spend a bit of money fixing things on that but Ive now got a standard MX5 which I still love and a nice Boxster which I also like. When I come to sell either I`ll have no problems.

Speak to Roddisons at Sheffield regarding the 2.5 conversion @rodders

and then Turbo it! :wink:
(Well maybe not).

1 Like

Yep the owner before did track days and that’s what I bought it for.
I have aided the cooling with bonnet vents and ducting for the brakes and I change the oil very regular. Probably 3 times in the 4000 miles I’ve done in it.
Regards
Rob

Test drive Corten-Millers Supercharged car & see the quality of the Rotrex installation.

1 Like

I would wait and try to get a built one. BBR sells built cars, from time to time. I got lucky and bought a built one privately, 2011 stage 2, suspension sway bars etc. 55K on the clock and all for 11k. Owner needed a family car and put it for sale in Nov, 2 years ago. I would guess it’s worth more than that now.

1 Like

Deleted

Not available though any more. I waited patiently for over 6 months just after the Covid thing kicked off last year only to be informed directly by Tom at Corten Miller that they were no longer sending out or installing any further kits for the NC. Total Bumper really !!!

Sorry I didnt know they had stopped selling the kit!
I had the first one they made & featured on the dedicated website. Biggest mistake I ever made selling that car!!

I know. It’s painful for what appeared to be a relatively easy (and costly) and apparently good way of putting the NC where it should be given its a lovely car.

As an ex M140i owner, (from new) and having driven both, you have to factor in an LSD and suspension upgrade if going the 1 series route. The later 140 is a better car than the 135 imho, mainly due to sublime combination of b58/zf8, but still desperately needs the above.
Still a heavy and sometimes unwieldy feeling car compared to the mx5 though.
If I could I’d turbocharge mine (weak gearbox precludes this) mainly to give it another 100 lbs ft or so low down. I’ve been caught out a few times by being 2 or 3 gears too high for meaningful acceleration when I’m not ‘on it’ but want a bit of immediate go.

1 Like