Caliper clean up

OK I see, my file sizes were too big and I couldn’t seem to link from google photos… anyway here goes, hopefully this will give somebody else a few ideas and improve on my efforts :slight_smile:

My new front pads ( mintex) didn’t come with anti squeal backing shims, i used Mintex Ceratec silicon lubricant on the slidy bits rather than copper grease as I read it has fallen out of favour these days ??, if they squeal i will get some new Mazda shims.

I used Halfords black engine enamel. I later found the black caliper paint I bought months ago, I am sure they will be similar…

Having looked on You Tube and Google the rears look a bit more fiddly due to the handbrake mechanism.

My main reason for doing this job was due to an actual front brake malfunction whilst driving, mostly due to poor condition and corrosion ( i suspect…) .

Once all brakes are all sorted next spend will be Wheels repainted and new shiny wheel nuts.

Hopefully all done before the end of April and enjoy a summer of driving around just because we can now…

5 Likes

Nice job… :slight_smile:

Looking good, nice to see some backing dust plates that are still intact .

Doesn’t help you now but new and far better quality replaceable spherical bearings are now available

That’s good to know for when they go next time
Thanks, where can you get these ?
Cheers

1 Like

I have been working away from home quite a lot so so have to do bits at a time.

Now done the rear calipers, I went for non standard black again so they blend into the background behind the wheels.

So far , so good but only done a couple of small drive outs.

I have a set of Stainless steel brake hoses for front and rear, however the joints looked a bit corroded, so giving them a soak in plus gas for a while before i attack them.

Also I decided that the wheels looked ok on the outside, but they had build up of crud and possible corrosion on the inside, so car is sitting back on axle stands, wheels are being stripped, repaired as required and powder coated over in Brum.
Will get then back in a couple of weeks when I am back home from work. Maybe do the hoses before i refit them.

Then often use my trusty assistant for the final pressure bleed, using a one way valve bleed tube.

2 Likes

Had a day with the 5 and did a few ‘cosmetic’ bits including wheels off for a proper clean, discs and calipers tidied up at the same time.

Barrie

3 Likes

Looking good. Which lug nuts are you using ? They look sweet.

1 Like

Mine looked like a colander last time I looked and rears pretty much none existent :open_mouth:

Well done , looking good

Nice but do you not believe in tyre dressing?
That rubber looks ever so dry and thirsty

1 Like

Can’t for the life of me remember, they’ve been on the car a while :thinking: they’re composite ‘tuner’ nuts made out of alloy and steel. The main body is steel with an internal spline for the wheel socket to fit into. This is covered by an anodised alloy threaded cap (the red bit on the ends) the opposite end has a loose spinning red anodised alloy washer that has the taper to seat correctly against the wheel face. Been on nearly two years and unbolted/bolted up many times, no issues with them. I put some grease on the end cap threads (they also have O ring seals) to keep them clean. If I find a link, I’ll put it up but search ‘composite wheel nuts’. Only speaking from experience obviously but they have been great, not lost their finish, don’t seize up on the studs, etc, etc, just a little different I guess?
Barrie

Here you go!

Morning! Yes, you are so right, they do look significantly dry and tired looking (excuse the pun) I did subsequently put some dressing on them but I’ve never been happy with any of the products I’ve used. Any recommendations? Have to admit, it does let the appearance down! :roll_eyes:
Barrie

1 Like

Morning Barrie :slight_smile:

Yes, I know what you mean.

Tyre Slick always wins Auto Express reviews but I don’t find it that great.

Auto Finesse Tyre Cream iirc was recommended by a pro detailer on here and it allegedly gets shinier the more coats you apply, so is adjustable to your taste, from matt to satin to gloss.
I’ve been meaning to get some from Halfords to try.
Lastly, for cheapness, you can’t beat the Aldi version of Mr Sheen at 50p per can.

It’s not ideal but it does work.

1 Like

I use this CarPlan Trade Valet Tyre Slik - 5L | eBay
An old empty spray bottle is good for putting it on and I have a disc the size of the wheel made from plywood to protect the alloy wheels and brake parts.
:heart:

1 Like

Aldi! :hugs: got to be worth a punt!
Barrie

Thats not expensive Malc? Could afford to do Mrs B’s car too! :rofl:
Barrie

Thats interesting.

I’ve always used the consumer aerosol version.

Morning Baz, been under the weather here, not covid but other things,your tyre valves have you a link to ex-plane how they work,ahh are they radio pressure sensor,cheers mate till next time, Rob.

1 Like