Can you identify this (estate) car?

The attached photo is of a cattle sale at Struan, Isle of Skye in 1957. I was asked by a family member if I could identify the arrowed estate-style car on the extreme right of the photo. Despite much on and off internet searching over the past few weeks, I’ve not been successful in pinpointing the make.
Is the vehicle familiar to any of you knowledgeable experts?
No prizes, just the satisfaction of knowing what it is.
TIA.

2 Likes

Looks like a 55 Chevy wagon , maybe a 210, but not Nomad.

4 Likes

Seems you’re correct with the Chevy Wagon 210, I was expecting it to be some European marque. Thanks Richard.
Must have been a bit of a handful on the narrow roads around there. However, they may have had room to get a couple of small calves in the back!

1 Like

Oh great skills well done ! :clap:

That’s a curious car to find there. Is there any more to the backstory ?!?

1 Like

It would not have been that unusual back in the 50s, US service personnel would have brought their own cars with them, then when they went home, they would sell them to locals. was there an American base nearby, at that time it may have even been right hand drive sold via Canada to avoid crippling import tax as canada was and still has our monarchy as head of state.

there was a Dealer in London called Lendrum and Hartman that sold GM products

2 Likes

Late 50’s Vauxhall Victor estate?
Doesn’t look big enough to be a Chevy compared with the cars around it

2 Likes

I do not think it’s a Septic Tank either.
The American’s rear overhang form the wheel arch overhang seems longer
There is a hint of curved rear screen whereas the B&W photo looks flat.
Large rounder reflector (?) below signal /brake lenses.
Intrigued now though!

'57 Poxhall?

Loxley Lozenge. Very rare.

Or…

Standard Vanguard estate

On the B&W photo, the overhang behind what looks like the rear wheel arch looks short, but it’s just a bump in the terrain that looks like a wheel arch. Zooming in closer, two darker dots can be seen at the very bottom of the lower tailgate, which match the appearance of the hinge position in the photo of this blue model. Rear light clusters are identical and the chrome side strip on the body seems the exact same length. Thanks for all your contributions.

Backstory is that son-in-law’s family have a property there and came across this historical-interest photo locally, realising it was taken just a short distance away from their cottage. Became a bit of a quest to identify this vehicle, just out of interest.

5 Likes

The rear lights and trim strip over the wheel arch are a dead giveaway.

Our neighbour in Livingstone (Near the Victoria Falls)) replaced his Plymouth with one, probably about 1955-1956. We four smalls loved rolling around on the sheepskin/blanket filling the back of the Chevvy while ALL the adults sat in the ‘bench’ seats. Front seats are a split bench!

It was our favourite car, and made my Dad’s new Morris’s look staid and old fashioned.

This New Zealand pic from Wikipedia about the 210 is almost the same colours too,

3 Likes

Might it be a Fiat 2300 Familiare?

1 Like

Looks more like a ford anglia to me

1 Like

Chevy Wagon likely :+1:

Any guesses on the others?
Look Like to me models of the era…

Rover P4
Morris minor van
Vauxhall Velox
Vauxhall Cresta
Humber Hawk

Thanks for your interest.
Not entirely dissimilar, but photo was 1957 and Familiare only built from '61 - '69.
Settling on the Chevy 210, it’s amazing how many other old models have come to light and have been forgotten during this exercise.

I have to concur with your observations Mick.
The roof only, which can be seen about midpoint up the left hand side of the shot could, however, keep folk guessing for years.:thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for your interest Ronnie, ruled out the Anglia a while back due to roof/tailgate pillars and shape of light clusters. At least it gets people thinking/reminiscing.

Ford Anglia Estate

Morris Oxford Estate

Austin Cambridge Estate

1 Like