Car cover use

Continuing the discussion from Car cover recommendations for NC 1:

Hi guys, just recieved my Mazda outdoor cover, probably sorn car for a while due to ongoing restrictions. Would you usually just wash and good coat of wax? before covering?
Ta.

…yes, we used to do this when we took our NB off the road for the Winter, (and removed the battery).

Yes, you don’t want any grit or grime under the cover plus it’s a nice surprise when you take it off next.

Out of interest what cover did you purchase ?

Hi, it is the Mazda outdoor cover, silver from MX5 parts, still raining by the way, not had chance to fit yet😁.

I wouldn’t put a cover on a dirty car. Mine only ever goes on after a wash, otherwise any dirt, however small, will cause scratches.

Also if you are leaving the car for a while, I would put it in first gear and take the hand brake off, as long as it is not going to roll anywhere. The tyres can flat spot after a while, but it is tricky to overcome with either special mounts you can roll onto, or raise it off the ground. In reality the tyres should be ok after a while - you could put more air in them to reduce the flat spotting, but remember to check the pressures before you use it agin.

…good point ref the tyres…I used to put an extra 5 psi in them when it was put up for the Winter, and as per above I always left the handbrake of, left in gear, and put a couple of bricks under the wheels for good measure. I also tried to start her up at least once, (weather permitting), get the engine up to temperature and just drove it up and down our cul-de-sac a few times for good measure!

Any cover for outside needs to be reasonably waterproof - some manufacturers quote 90% plus- and most importantly breathable. I have used a 5 ply breathable cover on cars stored outside over the winter for the last 4 years and my NB now has one.
Even a 40 year old car kept very well. It helps to periodically remove the cover in dry weather to aid circulation of air.
I agree with a clean and a good coat of wax. In addition if you put some kind of dehumidifier pouch or crystals in the interior and boot this will help keep the interior damp to a minimum.

What is the quality of the Mazda cover like?

Use silica cat litter crystals in takeaway tubs as your dehumidifying agent. I use 6 of them in our motorhome, scattered around inside the inside and in the “garage” under the bed. I use 2 in the boot of our MK1 and 2 in the cockpit, I also leave 2 in the engine bay but that’s only because I had a load of the crystals left! I number the lids and leave them on the driver’s seat so I don’t forget any when it’s time to exhume either vehicle from hibernation.