CarPlay Fitting

Any recommendations for dealers who will retro-fit CarPlay to my 2015 ND in the Somerset/Wilts area please. Also price paid please. Last time I looked it was £350…

I think most dealers charge £350, parts can be had for £200 if you can fit it yourself. I was a VERY early adopter and managed to get the parts for £147 and fitted it myself.

Thanks Gareth. How easy was it to fit? I’m no stranger to electronics, but a bit worried that it would require firmware updates or that I’d destroy the console!

It does require a firmware update and that MUST be done before fitting the hardware. Its not difficult and there is a comprehensive instruction set which tells you how to do it. Fitting itself is pretty straight forward and these cars come apart very easily and go back together very well too (no rattles or damage etc). If you’ve got an e-mail address you can send me I can e-mail you the installation instructions so you can see what is involved.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as c01 e-mail details PM’d:-) Peter

I’ve sent the instructions to you both, cheers.

1 Like

Thanks for sending:-) much appreciated. My car already has the “hub” for the Navi maps/usb connections and I’m guessing the shown cables behind the dash! I may have misunderstood:-( the OP original title… I’m looking for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and assume if I have the hardware in already there is a software/firmware stage needed separately? Thanks, Peter

You have to change the original factory USB block to a dedicated car play one, run new cables in and do the update.

If your existing USB block doesn’t have a phone symbol on it (next to one of the ports) you will need to upgrade the USB block and cables.

1 Like

I paid £125 from the Mazda main dealer and did the install myself using this video as a helper.

The FIRMWARE has to be updated BEFORE the hardware install.

ND AA/CP INSTALL

The ND assembles like LEGO, there are a lot of push-fit click-connect fixings and only a few bits to unscrew.

Hope it helps!

Thanks Gareth, that is a really useful clue, will check double check then decide which way to go! Peter

Good evening chaps,

What firmware version doe s the system need for car play to be installed ?

thanks

Nick

70.000.00 or higher.

1 Like

Hi all, always best to upgrade to the latest firmware. I use a Apple Mac and sadly a lot of car tech interfaces is still PC based. Under lockdown options were limited however the car got serviced & MOT’d last week and I got the engineer to update the firmware and placed the hardware in the boot for me to install in my own time.

70.000.100 or higher, although some people have reported that phone calls over bluetooth have a double echo on the voice so a later version fixed it.

Latest version is 70.000.352B and can be downloaded, with instructions on “how to” from here. Warning it is a 2.2Gb file so may take a little while.

Read the instructions carefully and it will all go well, read / reread and read again!

MAZDA CONNECT UPDATE 70.000.352B

2 Likes

To a degree it depends on your perspective, but it isn’t always best to install the latest firmware. Mazda on numerous occasions have attempted to prevent hacking of the CMU which some people like to take advantage of being able to do for the purpose of modifying the system and installing bespoke applications. Touchscreen with CarPlay makes it a lot safer to use IMHO.

1 Like

I had my 2016 Icon fitted with it by Romford Mazda in February and they charged me £269 all in, the dealer I bought it from a couple of weeks beforehand wanted £350.
Looking at the breakdown of the invoice, the fitting was £74.29+vat, the the rest was parts.

It’s Apple play 1 on an MX5 I believe. Apply play 2 is wireless. At least that’s what I read. Our 2018 BMW M140 has wireless Apple play. It’s ok but also annoying I find. Personal choice that tho.
You can get the bits off eBay for £118.

more like £150 with the import duty, but that’s still around £50 cheaper than buying them in the UK (if you are prepared to wait). I’d be careful though, as I’m not sure a US version would necessarily work in an EU car.