Central locking query

Hello all, new to the forum and new to mx5 ownership.
Have an issue with the central locking working from the button key fob, if anyone could shed any light on this I’d appreciate it. My mx5 is 2013, I think that’s mk3.5 or mk3.75, not quite sure so if anyone wants to correct me please do.
It seems that my fob doesn’t work the drivers door, the central locking works if I lock and unlock the car with the key and it works fine if I’m sitting in the car and work the lock manually.
If I use the button on the key fob the passenger door locks and unlocks but not the drivers door.
Two main questions…….
I’ve read a few other posts that outline the same issue but on mk2.5 and go on the put the issue down to a micro switch.
Can anyone confirm that to be the case for me?
And secondly, I’ve seen micro switches for mk2.5 second hand on eBay for about £10-£15, but can’t find any for 3.5s or 3.75s
Would that Mk2.5 switch work for me or is that not doable at all?
Many thanks

Have you tried putting a new battery in the key fob? It’s easy to do and might be all that’s required, worth a try, assuming you have tried it already.
D

Yeah I put a new battery in the fob yesterday, I did hope that would be what it needed but sadly it didn’t fix the issue
Thanks for your reply though

It’ll probably be the door lock actuator, they have a tendency to fail first on the driver’s side, more use.
Sometimes it’s intermittent followed by total failure, they are handed so if replacing make sure you get the correct side.

Seconding what Mick said. I had the same experience with my NC (same sort of age). First the driver’s door only locked/unlocked intermittently from the key fob (but worked fine with the key inserted), then it stopped working with the key fob full stop. So needed key inserting to lock/unlock. In my case, I had a garage take a careful look at it, and it was a door lock unit. Cost me about £300 to get it replaced, and all has been absolutely fine since then.

Ok, thanks lads.
So it sounds like I need a complete actuator and not just a switch…?

They come up on eBay secondhand but just lately are a little scarce. I paid a few years ago £25 +postage now they want much more. Get a new one from the dealer is probably better now. There’s a how to if DIYing on here, it’s door card off and a few things to undue, not that complicated TBH.

Yeah, currently £75 for a decent used one on eBay or£130 for a new one

they tend to play up when the sun has been out and the door has been warmed by said sun. when cold again they will start working usually. I did once clean one up after dismantling (fiddley but doable) and it was fine a year later when I sold on the car.

do have a unit in the garage from a 2012 that i was going to bring to The National in June along with other bits and pieces if you cant find one, message me if your interested

Thanks, could be possibly interested in that. What sort of money are you thinking for it?

My 2014 NC 3.75 has just done exactly the same thing. Drivers side actuator finally failed four days before we went to France.

If you’re anywhere near North Yorkshire, MX5 City fixed mine at very short notice for a very reasonable price.

Never done it on a Mazda but I have changed the actuator motor on other cars.

I notice that they do the motor for the MX5 MK3/3.5/3.75

Funny enough I have just had the same issue with mine that I purchased 3 weeks ago. I was told that their was an issue in all farness but only with the drivers door but when I got home the passenger door would not open from the fob. Took it into my local garage I have used for years and YES it was an issue with both actuators. The managed to get a OEM door actuator for the following day but the drivers side should be in Wednesday / Thursday. Now the passenger door works perfectly locking from the fob and also locking the drivers door it locks the passenger side now. Good luck Paul

I gathered lots of info recently. The actuator is fitted to many models, so you’re not just limited to mx5.

1 Like

That’s interesting, do you have a part number for the actuator? Probably cheaper if it’s non Mazda specific

It’s in my other thread but to save you reading it all.
It’s a Mazda part but fitted to many models.
A92-SPL-R- (Or L depending on which side).

Also maybe consider a new motor for about £12

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.