Changing transmission oil, turret or not turret?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1.8 MK3.75 prht
  2. I’m based near: Barrow-in-Furness
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: turret oil change.

I am looking at changing the transmission oil, so I have viewed the guide in the “members downloads” section, and I have searched for relevant posts on the forum.
None of these write-ups mention changing the oil in the gearstick turret, but a couple of videos on Mytube make it part of the oil change.
My question might seem stupid, but is changing the oil in the turret a must do when changing transmission oil? What do you guys do?
Thanks in advance.

I have a 6 speed so relevent to that box. Unsure if the 5 speed is the same on the NC.
If so do check you have oil in the turret, they can dry out. If you have oil in there it can be syringed out and replaced. It doesn’t take much, an egg cup full is about it.
I’ll try and find a pic and link👍

Here you go, my memory not so good, in this link it mentions the 5 speed having turret oil.

3 Likes

You haven’t said if you have a 5 or 6 speed gearbox.
I must admit I’m confused too but I believe it does make a difference.

All answered above.

1.8 engine will most likely be 5 speeds.

2 Likes

Both 5 and 6 speeds have separate turret oils.

1 Like

Thanks.
In your (humble?) opinion, is it worth changing the plastic plate that people show as having worn, at the same time??

Thanks, a job to add to the list then :slight_smile:

If it’s worn and giving a particular issue linked to it which persist when the 'box is warmed up then yes.
That would be my answer based on sound mechanical theory!
I say that as personally I haven’t come across this being an issue yet, but that doesn’t mean I won’t or that it doesn’t exist.

1 Like

:blush: Thanks

My vague recollection is that the plate is symmetrical.
I wonder if it could simply be rotated . …

it’s quite easy to check, my NC1 1.8 5 speed seemed to have plenty in when I checked it, but would be easy to top up if required. maybe half an hour job

Just found a pic.
Not symmetrical…

Thank you.
I did however find a post on another forum in which the owner of a 2.0 6 speed NC had overfilled his transmission via the turret…
But indeed everybody seems to agree with you on the 5 speed box.

If my plate is fine, I will just clean it with ArmorAll plastic protectant.

Thank you Mike.
Yes, the Tube videos make it look like an easy enough job, but my nickname in french is Christophe Catastrophe. So if I could have avoided fiddling with hard plastics and electrical switches, my car would have felt safer.
I will take the plunge though, and not only check the level, but syringe out and replace, might as well.

Thanks Mick, I’m gonna do that

it’s worth doing for peace of mind, but i found the biggest improvement was bleeding some fresh fluid through the clutch, well worth doing if you haven’t, makes the brakes nicer too

Clutch and brakes share the same reservoir on the brake master cylinder. Both should be done at the same time.

Iffy clutch operation might (but not necessarily so, other causes possible) be because of low fluid level, the clutch take off is about a third of the way up on the brake reservoir.

Oh yeah, clutch and brake fluids… On the cards too. But I work alone and without a ramp, so it can seem overwhelming.

1 Like

One step at a time, with care and patience, and suddenly the jobs are done.
Keep the faith.

2 Likes