Cheap & effective steering wheel re-trim

Thought I’d share this little nugget with you all…

I’ve been fancying having my steering wheel tarted up for a while now but its quite expensive and there’s a long wait for it.

Being impatient, I stumbled across this on ebay…

The seller did one of those things where they send out a one time offer to all watchers and lo & behold, I bagged it for £22!

It arrived this morning and I have to say, its much better than I expected (its actually real leather) and is really well finished… I promptly set to work and here’s the result:

The instructions aren’t great, but there’s loads of YouTube videos on how to stitch it up with the needle and thread provided in the colour of your choice.

So yeah, not as good as a professional retrim, but definitely the best you’ll achieve for this price range!

5 Likes

I did the same with my Mk2 SW as the rim was worn. It felt much better to grip, more comfortable.

2 Likes

The leather resto kits can work really well. I bought some old leather seat covers for not very much at all and reconnollised (sic) it in the kitchen and it’s come up like new. It costs quite a bit to do a seat in materials but a wheel wouldn’t be much at all(which is why I’m doing that next)

Nice job, I did same to mine last year:

2 Likes

How long did it take everyone to do theirs?

Mine specifically took about 1.5 hours IIRC - it’s not a difficult job, but it’s time consuming and a bit fiddly

OK, thanks.
I’ve added this to my list of things I might buy if lockdown continues!

This looks great. I was looking at the leather replacement for mine but this sounds a more cost effective option. Is there any movement once stitched up?

Nope it’s solid, it grips the existing wheel really well.

Not sure what you mean about which site did I use?

Ok. Thanks. D’ont worry. I noticed the link at the top thanks.

very impressive results - have often seen these on ebay and wondered if they worked or not
nothing worse than those generic steering wheel covers that leave a massive gap around the inside of the wheel

Lovely
Is the red band optional???

Depending on where you buy them from, yes!

1 Like

Good to know.
I don’t hate it but I think I’d prefer without.

Mine wasn’t an eBay one though it was from AliExpress and came from China for about £15 I think. I got it as the leather goes under the spokes of wheel.

3 Likes

Looks a serious bargain at that price :slight_smile:

I’ve looked on AliExpress and can’t find one that goes under the spokes (which I’d prefer), can you point me in the right direction please :blush:

Search Huier and that will take you to the right store and then mx5…

Found and bought, cheers :+1:

How did you get the edges under the bars of the wheel? Was it just a case of gently pushing the cover under, or did you have to remove the trim? If you did remove the trim, did you need to disconnect the battery because of the airbag? Or am I just over thinking this? Not had a chance to have a good look yet, planning on fitting tomorrow

1 Like