Cleaning blackening re proofing

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk3 __
  2. I’m based near: __chelmsford Essex
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __softop
    Hi friends does anyone know of a reputable firm. I’d like my softop cleaned blackened and waterproofed. How much can I expect to pay

I would do it DIY and save yourself a chunk of money.

Spray on milton fluid to get the mould out of the roof - then Fabsil gold to re treat the roof.

Thank maybe I should give it a go. What and how to blacken the roof

Once the roof is clean - the fabsil gold leaves a pretty nice black finish to the roof.

I would give a really good wash first, scrubbing with a plastic brush to loosen the dirt, I use johnsons baby shampoo as there are no additives in it and cheaper than special soft top cleaners. Lots of rinsing, with a hosepipe if possible (not a pressure washer as they can ruin the knap of the fabric) and redo if still dirty.
I got a fabric dye kit off ebay I think which I used when completely dry. (make sure you get one for fabric and not vinyl roofs) I did 2 or 3 coats.
Once that was dry, I painted on fabsil with a paint brush to keep some dirt out in future.
Definitely a diy job.

Agree with everyone else here, it’s an easy DIY job. As mentioned, Johnson’s Blue Baby Bath scrubbed with a soft brush, and dilute bleach (or Milton) with a toothbrush to spot treat any green bits. Good rinse out, rub dry with a towel. Once properly dry pop-on your mohair dying product of choice or brush on Fabsil+UV when we’ve got a few dry days. Job’s a good 'un.

There is a great guide in the technical area which I followed when I got my car last year. It’s an easy job to do yourself and very pleasing to admire once finished.

Renovo l Fabric Soft Top Cleaner and a softbrush, just scrib in small areas at a time, then Renovo reproofer, use a paintbrush for that.

Dont use fabsil its for tents and does not last as long as renovo

I cleaned and treated using autoglym. The colour came back a fair bit just by doing that. Only took an hour or so.

Autoglym Convertible Soft Top Clean & Protect Complete Kit Amazon.co.uk

Be careful you don’t get it on the windows though. It stains them.

Delighted it worked out for you. Did you use ‘Gtechniq’ or another sealing/proofer product?

Yes the G-Techniq V2 but it’s now V3!
I used the Renovo black reviver as in the guide but when near the edges, be careful of drips disappearing into the lower parts of the hood.
I must say that next time I will not use a cloth to wipe down the G-Techniq as it came out very black……maybe I hadn’t let the reviver dry as long as it should, though it was over 24 hours.

Once again a posting that is so unbelievable, why? Such sweeping statements undermine any helpfulness that you may have been intending.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using Fabsil, it works, as do other equaly valid products.

Such dogmatism is not helpful to anyone.
:heart:

My word what a stropy madam you are. Feel free to pop over to detail world forums. Plenty of reviews of fabsil. Written by professional detailers.

Good morning, thank you for the suggestion to go here Detailing World Forum it is appreciated. I have just spent some time searching this site and have not yet found anyone saying ‘don’t use Fabsil Gold’. My search skills may not be particularly good but they have revealed a good number of contributors singing the praises for this product.
If you could help by directing me to any reviews of Fabsil by professional detailers that you are aware of it would help to clarify my thoughts.

Just to finish can I point out that starting a post with ‘My word what a stropy madam you are’ is perhaps not the best way to contribute meaningfully to a topic. I do not mind you chastising me if you feel aggrieved by my points but civility costs nothing.
:heart: