Clutch Whine

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK1 Eunos Roadster
  2. I’m based near: Birmingham __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Clutch Whine__

I have a 1992 Eunos MK1 with 178,000Km on the clock. After a 1500 mile road trip this year the car developed a noise. When letting the clutch out slowly, say manoeuvring I get a (sometimes) whine. This can happen when the car is in forward or reverse gear and also when in neutral although the noise is not so loud. It does not occur generally when pulling away under normal driving conditions and does not occur when changing gear (a faster release of the clutch). I took the car to my local garage. They checked the clutch which seemed ok, but a gear box expert replaced a bearing within the gearbox. As the clutch was out I decided to have a new clutch fitted including the thrust bearing. Everything was fine for about 600 miles and then the same problem started. The noise is intermittent, mainly occurring during low speed maneuvering at about 1000rpm. A further suggestion from the garage is that it could be the Spigot Bearing. We have agreed that I consult the MX5 community before going any further. Does anyone have any experience of such a noise?

First thing to check that made a big difference on mine was the gearlevel kit. This won’t resolve the issue but may insulate the sound.

Also look at the slave cylinder, I rebuilt mine but this is also common source of issues.

My issue was around the PPF setup to the gearbox mount listed below.