Cracked brake disc

1. My model of MX-5 is: ND2 RF 2.0
  2. I’m based near: Hampshire

I had some minor brake judder driving home after Cadwell Park at the weekend. I thought it would take me a while to identify which disc it was coming from, but I think this is quite obvious

1 Like

Not good. Lucky it didn’t let go, as it could’ve been nasty.
Check the other one as well. It might be wise to replace both👍🏻

Wise? I would say a must. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My keyboard jockey skills let me down!
I agree…….Must👍🏻

pretty sure disks only come in pairs anyway!!

1 Like

If you buy new👍🏻.
There is always someone selling an odd one on auction sites.

Lots of motor factors will still get single discs,try not to sell single but we can order single discs.

Most suppliers sell and price them individually including Mazda.
:heart:

They do indeed. But most of them on online sites will automatically put two in the basket. (Just bought 4 and researched to death). Likewise, the vast majority are boxed in pairs so you can’t buy individual ones anyway. Would make sense to just price them as a pair in the first place. Funny old world we live in. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

That’s why you need to support your local motor factors and keep people like me in a job.:grin:

1 Like

i always try to buy replacment parts from the local parts places!
NEVER USE HALFORDS FOR PARTS!!!
Tho when it comes to modding parts the local places arent much use!

1 Like

Seeing that cracked disc brought back vivid memories from 1974 when I bought my bitsa, totally forgotten until just now.

It was then still an unmodified Corsair, found on a backstreet car lot as a bargain, knowing the brakes, engine and gearbox were shot, but surprisingly little rust.

First thing I did when I got it home was to check why the brakes were so bad and pulling left. I found two different sized and thickness discs on the front and what later turned out to be a Consul 375 back axle with bigger drums.

I took the two discs and back brake shoes into the excellent local Ford dealer (Norman Reeves in Uxbridge) and the parts guys fell about laughing.
The discs were not even Ford parts! So they suggested I also looked at the calipers and gave me a pair to compare (sale or return!) along with a service kit of two new discs and pads and brake fluid etc.

Apparently the 375 back axle was a Ford parts-bin possibility on the production line, often fitted when stock of the more usual slimmer Cortina back axles was low.

The only real cure for the weedy brakes (the calipers were correct and good) was to add an inline servo.

1 Like

Just looked at my profile and apparently I am “Empathetic”. :flushed::joy: In an ideal world I would agree entirely. But my local ones don’t always sell quality parts (in my eyes) and when you ask the brand it’s something I have never heard of. Quality and price isn’t always that great sadly and that applies to some online companies too.

1 Like

Discs, pads and fluid are all stock
I’m getting through front pads at an alarming rate on track. I’ve got some Winmax pads on order.
I was getting bad pad fade on track at Cadwell Park on Saturday, but no sign of the fluid overheating. Once I change to better pads, my fluid will start running hotter.
I’m using the car on the Nordschleife (easier on brakes I suspect) the week after Easter and I’m not sure I’ll have the Winmax pads by then, so I need to find something readily available as a stop-gap. Perhaps Roddisons or EBC yellow stuff.

WRT changing single vs. both discs, I’ll be changing both.
The problem will be when I find the visually undamaged spare disc at the back of my garage in 10 years time when I’m looking for another one :sweat_smile: I better label it carefully or dispose of both.

1 Like

side note.
old brake discs make really good door stops!

2 Likes

And little toe stubbers…

4 Likes

Has anyone got a view on which pattern discs are as good or better than the mazda ones? I’m seeing Ridex, Hella, Pagid, Brembo, Delphi, Kavo, ABS, Zimmermann, ATE, TRW, Textar
Who makes the mazda ones?

TMD Friction make Pagid and many many others.
They made the first carbon brake pads for Buggati.
Have a read of the site what they do.
I don’t think they make them for Mazda which is probably why some of the Mazda ones are rubbish. :man_shrugging:

I have 2017 2.0l ND RF for road use. When it comes to replacing discs/pads am I better off with Mazda standard replacements or using EBC Turbo from MX5 parts?
NicW