Daytime Running Lights

Fitted some to my Galaxy Grey NC recently.

I think even Swindon taxi drivers will see me coming now.

I hope…

lets see photos and a description of how you fitted them. Contemplating same fit myself.

A couple of the North West group have fitted these

They are leds that fit into the fog light blank

I don’t understand the point of daytime running lights

In clear conditions they are utterly pointless

In adverse weather or dusk you would just put your sidelights on

If they are there to make you more visible then why aren’t they on the back as well?

They are an important safety feature on motorbikes, especially as the average biker thinks the speed limit doesn’t apply to them.

Bikes now are in danger of blending in to the multitude of DRL on cars.

You also see a lot of drivers now who don’t think they need to put sidelights on when in heavy rain because they have DRL completely unaware that they aren’t on the rear.

If you feel you aren’t visible enough just put your sidelights on.

I wonder how much time and money car light manufacturers spent lobbying the EU to bring this in?

I have also put red leds on the back for that very reason.

I agree with your responses to a degree but as for dipped headlights in rain, not so sure, maybe in very heavy rain but it needs to be very heavy, I’d argue they won’t help you see what is in front and may dazzle other road users, as for rear fogs in rain, never ever use them in rain, there’s a clue in the title, fog lights are only to be used in fog when visibility is below 100 meters. Rear fog lights can be mistaken for brake lights, especially on cars fitted with 2 rear fog lights. very dangerous.

Are these replacements for the normal rear lights or extra lights? If extra then I’d be very surprised if they are legal. Especially if they are any brighter than standard lights.

Your so called side lights are actually parking lights and as such are useless as driving lights .If it is poor enough visability to warrant lights then dipped headlights should be used.You are not using them to see where you are going but to assist other people to see you.

I have no problem with DRL’s as a safety feature to make you more visible. Great idea.

As a motorcyclist I think these are great on both cars and bikes.

What REALLY ANNOYS me about DRL’s is that many car drivers do not switch their lights on at night.

They can see their own front DRL’s reflecting off the car in front and the automatically illuminated dash board feature makes them think their lights are on.

It is very dangerous when you come up behind such a driver in the dark or in poor visibility with no lights on.

How manufacturers can add a feature like this under the banner of “safety” completely mystifies me.

Vauxhall are definitely wired this way. I am sure many others must be to. If the MX5 ND is not then top marks to Mazda!!

I bought a pair of oblong Ring items from MX5 Parts (slightly disappointed that the kit only contained the lights and no relay or wiring but pleased when I saw them ÂŁ5.00 dearer at Halfords), mounted them in the lower air intake then used a piggy back fuse on the back of the wiper fuse. Then ran two wires around to the driver’s side bulkhead and through the grommet around the bonnet release cable to install an internal off switch.

Look good if I say so myself

Would like to post pictures but I don’t yet have a Photobucket or similar online storage account and there appears to be no way of uploading direct from my laptop (or is it just me).

Regards

[quote=snowman]

A couple of the North West group have fitted these

They are leds that fit into the fog light blank

Hello Snowman

Your DLR’s look the part.  My MK3 Sport has front fogs as standard, your DRL’s look to have both fog & DRL capabilities they may well

be what I need.  I’ve considered oblong DRL’s in the front bumper section but they just look a bit naff.

Please advise as to what lights you have fitted & where you bought the lights.

Regards

Keith

Just mastered Photobucket!

I must admit I do like the DLR’s, my TT has them, I think they look good and without doubt make you more visible, The headlight on my bike is on all the time but I put a 55w HID buld in it, everyone says they can see me coming so its good and if i can see cars better when im out on the bike due to DLR’s then excellent.

I’ve just been to the US for the first time and im sure its law over there if it rains you put your lights on.

I’m thinking ill be putting some round ones on the MX5 in winter when she is parked up, Looking good

Your hid bulb in your bike is illegal you could be classed as having no insurance by the police as your bike has been modified in a way that makes it no longer roadworthy sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Totally agree.  In heavy rain, motorway conditions, one probably needs dipped headlights & the rear fog light(s) as well.

As their name suggests…FOG LIGHTS should be used in the FOG!!! Only.

There’s nothing worse or more dangerous than having that bright red dazzle/reflection on a wet road in heavy rain. It also makes it difficult to determine whether drivers are braking or not!!

I have a great dislike of DRLs.

It smacks of the typical “look after number one” attitude that has become prevalent on today’s roads. Motorcycles have their lights hard wired on as a safety precaution (I am a motorcyclist and I don’t really agree with that either) to make them more visible, some cyclists have lights on for the same reason. By making your car ‘more noticeable’ you effectively diminish the safety of others by reducing the one thing they have to highlight themselves.

In my opinion they are a waste of time anyway, the sort of person that isn’t going to see a ton of metal coming towards them isn’t going to see a ton of metal with a few lights on it. As one police motorcyclist once said to me “I ride a bike plastered with dayglow stripes, a blue flashing light and sirens and they still pull out in front of me”.

Don’t get me started on fog lights. There was a tiny bit of mist here yesterday morning and on my way to work I saw loads of cars with fog lights blaring away - you could see for miles. Dazzling the person behind doesn’t make you safer.

As for using them in the rain 

It seems to me that a lot of people forget that we share the road space and in this quest for safety we become a little too self important.

Ok being the nerdy one amongst us I’ll clarify the law on drl’s and fog lights
Drl’s should only work on their own and should go off or dim when the side lights are turned on the ones that dim are used as the side lights
Front fog lights should only be used when visibility is down to less than 100 mtrs and with dipped beam off
Rear fog lights again only when visibility is less than 100 mtrs
It is an offence to drive with your front and rear fogs on in the rain and you could be held responsible for causing a danger to other road users