Dead Battery can`t unlock car

Hi,
The battery on my 2014 anniversary NC has gone flat and I cannot unlock the car even using the key, you can feel the lock working with the key, but neither side will open, any ideas anyone?

Regards,

Chris.

Sounds obvious but have you tried the lock in both directions?

Can you open the boot with the key?

1 Like

Are you a member of the AA/RAC?

Hi,

Yes tried both ways, you can feel a locking and unlocking type action, but it doesn`t work.

Only green flag unfortunately.

Hi,

Not tried that and totally forgot about that lock, but even if it does unlock what would my next move be?

A bit of work and understanding required, but in theory I wonder if once in the boot, gain access to a brake light bulb and back feed it with 12 volts, this could power the car upā€¦

Is another queston ā€˜Can I open the bonnet without using the internal release pull, so I can charge the battery (and then open the doors)ā€™?

Not an NC user but online it said for the key blade to unlock you needed to turn the key to the left and wait a few seconds with the key in that position for the unlock to take effect, but that was if there was any charge in the battery left at all, might be worth trying.

Out of interest, I remember people with hard top problems having to manually wind their roof down - would that mechanism be in the boot, could you get into the boot and then wind down the roof by hand to gain entry to the bonnet release?

Could be yes but thatā€™s a question I canā€™t answer.

1 Like

That reminds me my dad called the RAC out to his almost new Nissan Primera many years ago because it wouldā€™t start. RAC person opened up the bonnet and said someoneā€™s stolen all your electric control systemā€¦

The brake lights wonā€™t have a live connection unless the pedal is depressed. Rather difficult to do if you canā€™t get in. However there should be a permanent live on the boot courtesy light.

Otherwise it might be possible to pull the bonnet release with a long stiff wire pushed in around the driverā€™s door window glass.

Last resort and I hate to say this. Get a replacement driverā€™s door glass from a breaker and put the window in.

I was thinking that they are earth switched so the live would go to the battery. Would need to confirm on a wiring diagram. But yes, thinking about it, they are probably not. Yes, boot light maybe another option.

1 Like

Is there a live feed to the starter motor accessible from underneath the car?

There will be, but donā€™t know about access.

Not sure that there would be any advantage in getting access to the starter motor feed if the car doors are lockedā€¦

As mentioned, it might be possible to access a permanent feed in the boot area, which would allow a low-current 12V supply to be connected, which hopefully might be enough to get the doors opened. One the door is open, then the bonnet can be opened and the battery recharged/replaced.

Only other option, as mentioned, is to break in physically, either by breaking a window or getting a locksmith involved.

Of course, Iā€™m sure that the local scrotes could have the door opened within a few seconds!

Agreed. Comes off the Room fuse (only 15A) which is hot at all times.
Leaving it on is the classic way to flatten the battery.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help, I managed to use the manual key, by waiting for around 10 seconds and it opened!! Think the battery is dead flat and some as I started it with a power pack, but the instruments are going crazy when I drove it round the block, guess it needs a good charge-up.

Thanks all.
Regards.

Good to hear, I did read online the handbook adds the line ā€œor longerā€ about the wait time, so maybe they knew already that the flatter the battery the longer the unlock takes.